22,000 dogs & cats last year alone. This is
    unbelievable since the Indy Humane Society
    controls a trust worth well over 14,000,000
    dollars, but will not support low cost
    spay/neuter programs in the city.The Humane
    Society her is very high profile, and is
    widely supported by the regular folks and the
    very wealthy..I am so shocked and saddened
    by this first of a three part series.I adopted my dog Buddy from the Humane Society,
    and have taken many 'found' animals there
    hopeing they would have a chance of adoption.
    Now I wonder if I did the right thing by
    taking them there...

The article is at

http://www.indystar.com
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks Spencer!
    My next project was a grey/white SH tabby,
    who I first met last spring.My neighbors down
    the street got this little girl as 'pet'
    for their two children.The first month she
    was such a treasure to them.But ,evidently
    the kids grew tired,the kitten grew and was
    eventually made a 'outside' pet.The parents
    never seemed to get involved with the cat's
    welfare.She started to beg for food from the neighbors.Now she has kittens and she still
    lives outside.The babys are at least 3-4 wks.
    and too young to leave their mom yet.I wish
    that I had got to her sooner,after I realized
    that her people didn't care anymore...
    There are two local shelters that I could
    check out.This must be 'kitten season'as I
    saw a lot of them at PetsMart this morning.
    I just feel so bad that I trusted the
    Humane Society & shed tears for each one
    that I turned over to their care...
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh Liz, you were doing what you thought was best for the poor dogs, thinking "Humane Society" means being humane to animals. That is so sad when they have the money and they could afford a low cost neutering program.
    I guess that is right up there with San Diego building a new multi-million dollar Animal Shelter only to have someone burn it down just when it was finished and ready to move the animals in. There are a lot of uncaring people out there, if they treat their pets that way, how do they treat their kids?
    Jackie

Liz, that is awful. I am so sorry to hear the news. As Jackie said, you were just doing what you thought was right. It isn't your fault at all. I'm going to go look around at those message boards and state my opinion if needed.

I hope no one judges every humane society by this one. A lot of them really are great places.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Awww I remember Bucky... sooooo sweet.

Eating a lot and occasionally missing the litter box? He COMPLAINED about that?? Tell him if he wants no messes to get a stuffed animal!!!

I hope Bucky is doing good.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Well, I have my own stories to tell about the Indianapolis Humane Society. One of them involved why they didn't utilize the facilities at PetsMart like several of the other rescue groups did. Apparently, the then director of the IHS had some prejudice against the PetsMart policy of not selling animals like cats and dogs. Last I heard, they have pretty much taken over the Adopt a Pet areas at PetsMart in Indy.

There is a low cost spay/neuter clinic in Indianapolis on Massachusetts Avenue. I forget the name at the moment, but it was one that Bob Barker helped to support. Also, there are a couple of no kill shelters, like Southside Animal Rescue (I believe that's their name) and they worked with PetsMart on the southside (Greenwood) and on East Washington Street. I haven't been back to Indy since last Christmas, so don't know what else is there most recently, but Lizbud, you can find other places to take animals. Many of the vets were doing some work along those lines and ARPO -- something about Responsible Pet Owners -- was going into the Castleton PetsMart before I moved south. If Debbie is still a cashier (evenings and weekends) at the Castleton store, she could tell you more about some of these things.

It truly is a shame that an organization like the Indianapolis Humane Society with their larger, more modern facilities, can't do more along the "no kill" lines, but when you consider the population of Indianapolis and the fact that they have had to take over the operations of Animal Control (which was a TOTAL mess), they're really trying to do the right thing as best they can. As I understand it, Animal Control (before IHS) was worse than horrible about care of the animals they picked up. I remember that we used to donate damaged bags of food to them and one of our managers would try to go there and rescue cats from them for the adoption center. It got to be a real hassle and often the cats were ill. Now, the IHS is trying to clean up that facility and make it work. Probably the best thing we could do is perhaps start a letter writing campaign and see if we can't get them to change some of their policies?????
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials

Thanks Spencer, that is good news to hear about the cats. We learned our lesson, before we had the dogs we found a little kitten behind the air conditioner on Christmas Eve and kept it. We called her baby and it was yellow, black and white so cute. We used to let it outside and she would always be there to come in, except one day she disappeared, we believe someone took her. If we ever could get another we would get a litter box and keep it inside. I guess a lesson learned.
    Jackie

Shame on the Indianapolis Humane Society. I'm not sure the Humane Society here in Utah is any better unfortunately, but we do have our wonderful no-kill Best Friends Animal Sanctuary located here in Kanab, Utah. God Bless Best Friends and other organizations like them. That's where my big donation goes every year!!!

Thanks everyone for your understanding!!!

Part 2 of the Series is in today's paper,
    I picked up a copy on the way to work and
    started to read the article,but had to stop.
    There was a picture of a frightened little
    Spaniel type dog who was about to be put
    down, and it broke my heart.Sorry, I can't
    break down like this at work..I'll have to
    finish it when I get home.

The letter writing & e-mail is a great idea,
    I'm going to also commend The Indianapolis Star for this kind of "Truth Telling" I honestly believe most people here really don't know any of these facts...

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Lizbud wrote,

I'm going to also commend The Indianapolis Star for this kind of "Truth Telling" I honestly believe most people here really don't know any of these facts...
    That's about the only good thing that might come out of such a horrible situation. That photo in the Part 2 link you gave absolutely broke me--hopefully it'll do the same to the readers of Indy. We can only pray that donations will start coming in, adopters will start showing up more frequently, and pet owners will start thinking twice about relenquishing their animals at the slightest inconvenience they might cause.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Hi Everyone,
    Todat is the 3rd and last installment of
    the investigation into Animal Care/Adoption/
    Euthanizia & Spay-Neuter issues in Indy.
    The Indianapolis Humane Society has declined
    to be interviewed by newspeople till after this 3rd installment appeared in the local
    paper.(They have however updated their
    website to reflect their views on animal care
    issues)

Front page shows pics & stories of some cats
    and dogs who have managed to survive shelter
    life and now have loving forever homes...
    There's a Black & white kitty named
    Maximus Catimus (Max). And one Great Pyrenees
    named Shasha & a St. Bernard named Bernie.
    (Great pics of the dogs)who were both adopted
    by a shelter worker...
    Also a very good story about the Southside
    Animal Shelter(Indy) and it's founder and
    tireless advocate for finding homes for all
    the 'unadoptable /unremarkable)' dogs & cats.
    The lady's name is Rosie Ellis.I have met this lady and she is a remarkable human being. She's also at the PetsMart store where
    I shop every weekend with dogs & kitties for adoption.She is a tireless worker for animals.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

OOOOOHHHHHH they made me mad!!! I had to log on and post. I wasn't very nice either, but then, most of the time when I get mad about something I'm not very nice. What is with the 2 morons on the message board who said either just shoot them or they liked them better bbqed. AAARRGGHH!!! I also had to post about the superintendents in Fort Wayne. I understand that shelters are forced to put animals down because stupid people do stupid things like dump their animals or take them to the shelter because they don't have time for them, however, shelters also have the responsibility to educate the public, which doesn't sound like is happening with the Indy shelter. I know our shelter makes me mad too because they put pits and pit mixes down just because of their breed. Their rationale is that the liability is too high because we have a bigger dog fighting problem than anywhere in the tristate area. Wow, did that message board fire me up! Mike's going to come home and find me in this mood and wonder who did what to me! lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Mugsy,
    I read your post on the BB.Very good!!
    Our POTD board is the only one I've ever
    become involved in, but the papers 'Talk Back' board is evidently not moderated.
    Don't pay any attention to those 'bored
    little cyber kids' who only want attention!!
    I wanted to say that Ft.Wayne was mentioned
    as a model city in Part 2 for it's education
    programs !!!
    As of tonight, IHS is starting to respond
    to the print media in dribs & drabs.
    I think the effect of the articles certainly embarressed IHS,and has gotten the
    public's attention.Hopefully things will
    change for the better...We'll see...
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Ktreva,
    Didn't know you once lived in Indianapolis.
    As you said the city's dog pound; now know
    as Indianapolis Animal Care and Control,was
    always known as the 'pits' for animals..
    Dogs went in there and never came out!!!
    IHS, being more high profile & supported
    by every Society matron and many Business
    leaders, lead me to believe that it would
    be the better place to bring found animals.
    Most Shelters here are always overcrowded.
    Ihs really has to do more to support Spay/
    Neuter.They should never adopt out unneutered
    mature animals..
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks liz! I was MAD!!!! But I'll bet you figured that out by my post. What kind of contract do you have to sign to adopt from the IHS? Like I said on the Indystar site, 2 of ours came from our shelter. You basically have to sign away your first born (in my case that would be difficult since I have no 2 legged kids, nor do I plan on having one). You have to agree to have the animal spayed or neutered and the vet has to send back a paper saying that they spayed or neutered the animal. They give you a certificate for $45 toward the process. They also give you a puppy pack with lots of goodies, they microchip the animal, and give you a $5 gift certificate to PetsMart. It costs $85 to adopt. When we adopted, it only cost $50 but they needed to up it because they were losing money on the process. We still have to put a lot of animals down which is so sad, but it's really not the shelter's fault, it's the stupid people who don't watch their animals. Our shelter in the 1980s, when our population was about 100,000 put down 16,000 animals and last year, when our population was 200,000 they put down 10,000. Still way to high but at least the trend is downward.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!