Thread: Should I have my son help with the homeless?

Should I have my son help with the homeless?

I have to admit, Jaden is majorly spoiled. (My 6 year old son.) He has everything that you can imagine. On one hand, he occasionally acts like things are owed to him; but on the other hand, he is a super good kid with a huge heart.

I spent quite a bit of money on Jade's school clothes this year. He refused to wear half of them because they are uncool. Then, I went to buy him some "cool" Dragon BallZ shirts the other day. The next morning, he was griping about those brand new shirts. It really upset me because I want to give him everything that I didn't have as a child, but I don't want to create a monster.

We had a talk about poor children and how they'd be so happy just to have one brand new shirt and whatnot. It seemed to really affect him. He's always been really sensitive towards homeless people and whatnot, so I think he got my drift.

Well, I'm babbling. Let me get to the point.

This time every year, I help out with a few things at the shelter. We have a tent, blanket, and coat drive when it starts getting cool outside. We walk the known homeless parks and deliver them with some food. At Christmas time, we adopt families and buy them presents. Also, we stuff stockings at work for the children and deliver them.

I'm thinking about having Jaden come with me this year and be more involved. For the most part I think it'll be valuable for him. But also, there's alot of sad stuff that he'll see such as neglected children, druggies, etc... Do you think a child is to young for that?

I think he should do it with your guidance and supervision. If he gets too upset, you could always take him home early. I think it is so very important that kids see what is going on in the world outside their little bubble.

Great idea and good luck
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Nope! I think that its good to start kids early with volunteering and things so when they get older they will be experienced.. Thats just my opionion but i think its a good idea..

I think it would be a very valuable lesson for him. My sister has teken her kids with her to every charity event since they couls walk and they truly understand how lucky they are and how important it is to help others. They ask to go to feed the homeless and they have become very generous to other kids in their school.

Kids are never to young to learn that people need help and that we should all lean on others when we need it.

i think it's good for kids to volunteer when they are young. it teaches them to be selfless and stuff like that. and appreicate what they have.

I agree with the rest, you should take him.

He will probably see some things that you will have to explain later. However, it will be good for him to know first hand. I think kids generally learn from experience, rather than being told.

Good luck, and I am sure that he will turn out fine.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

I think it would be a great experience for him. I don't believe that six is too young to be exposed to that, as I don't think someone at that age would really understand what is wrong with the picture. However, he is your son, and you are more able to interpret what he can comprehend, and therefore make the decision based on whether Jaden will understand the full extent as to what these people can go through, and whether or not it will make him upset.
    I've been BOO'd!

I think it's a great idea! When my kids were younger we would have a big clean-up of clothes, toys and household goods for the two charities I support in South Africa. One is a "children's village" which houses multiple children in a "unit" instead of dorms, so they get the experience of living in a family unit. The other is Little Eden, a home for severely brain-damaged children.

My kids always came with me - sure the first time there were lots of questions, and lots of explaining to do. But I found that it gave them a greater appreciation of their home, and their possessions. They were also less reluctant to "give up" their old stuff when they knew where it was going!

Just my opinion, but my experiences with this all had positive results!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I too think its good for you to take him with you!
    If hes marginly spoiled then he will see how lucky he is,
    Ky and rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.