Thread: Whats Your Opinion? (Very Interesting)

Whats Your Opinion? (Very Interesting)

In science class today we were discussing Animal Rights. It was so interseting, then are teacher told us about a little 1 day old baby named Faye.

When Faye was born her heart wasn't functioning, so at 1 day old, they decided to give her a heart transplant. The docters were trying to think of way way to give a heart to baby Faye because there were no baby hearts that matched her blood type ect. So then a docter came up with the idea of using a chimpanzee heart. The parents had a tough decision, it was ither kill the chimpanzee to save there daughter, or not do anything and Faye wouldn't survive. The parents decided to use the chimpanzee heart. So the docters actually found a chimpanzee with the matching blood types ect. and took it's heart and transplanted it to baby Faye. Baby Faye survived 20 days after the surgery. Because her body rejected the heart, baby Faye passed away.

My Opinion:

I'm on two sides for this..more on the animal side though. Because Faye could have survived and when she was old enough she could have then recieved a human heart. But then there is the poor chimpanzee, who really didn't have a choice. This brought alot of questions in my head.

Whats your opinion

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

i can sort of see both sides...but i don't think they should have taken it from the poor chimp. i mean he couldn't decide to give it to her...if i were the parents i don't thik i would be able to kill the chimp just for his heart.

well I think that this story is a lil confusing just in the fact that a chimp can have the same blood type as a human baby ... if it was my baby I would want it to have its heart replaced asap. but I love kids, I do feel bad for the chimp though.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

it's confuseing lol

But I feal bad for the chimpanzee, because yea, it realy didn't have a choice. And It must have been hard on the parents because they had to make the choice.

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

That story seems odd. I didn't know such a thing is possible. But I guess it could be. I would hate to kill an innocent animal, but I would go through all costs for my son. There isn't a doubt in my mind that I wouldn't try everything before letting my son go. The bottom line would be 'son or chimpanzee?' Easily, it would be my child.

Well said Tonya. Although the story DOES seem a bit odd. Unless you are a parent you cannot understand HOW FAR you will go to save your child (IMHO)

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I dont see how an animal heart would function the same as a human heart allthough they are our closest "relitives" there must be somthing different about their hearts to ours??
    and there must be humans hearts around somwhere with all the deaths,etc! babys are dieing all the time cant they frezze them or somthing?
    animals arent here to save our lives like that, we are mistreating them in many aspects!!!!
    im not in that postion and hopfully never will be, but nature should take its course!!! without the sacrafice of animals!! IMO
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I think hooking the baby to a heart pump, until a suitable human heart could be found, would have been better.

These experiments of using animals as organ donors are cruel experiments. I'm sorry the baby died, but if this had worked I would worry about the future of all the chimpanzees!

It's confusing, I agree with Tonya. If you are a parent and your child is going to die and you had to make a decision to kill your child or kill a chimp. Im sure the parent would do everything to save there child.

Re: Whats Your Opinion? (Very Interesting)

Originally posted by Tweety_Pie
    Because Faye could have survived and when she was old enough she could have then recieved a human heart.
    Whats your opinion
    You have it totally wrong. Faye obviously couldn't have survived with out the heart, Kelsey. Her heart was not functioning- meaning it does not work. So no, she would NOT have survived. You read it totally wrong, I'm sorry. I feel bad that they had to kill the chimp, but if it was my child, it would have been instinct to get the heart from the chimp. But still, Faye would not have survived.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

I would do anything .... anything ... to save my child's life. Any good parent would.

There is absolutely nothing to even consider here, IMO. I love animals, but if this were my child, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Anyone with children understands this.

And if you don't have children ... you still are someone's child. Would you parents have any qualms about this if it were you? Would they say, "Gee, I love my son/daughter, but I'll let him/her die, because I feel sorry for a monkey." Nope. No way, no how.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien