Thread: Is Jasper aggressive??

Is Jasper aggressive??

I think my boxer puppy Jasper is an aggressive dog, or maybe I am wrong, he does alot of things like growls and bites(which is normal puppy behavior) But he bites alot and I tried the very loud stern "NO" and I tried putting my finger and thumb around his mouth(but not shutting it) AND I tried shaking coins in a tin to startle him from biting, it worked at first, but not after he got used to it.

Also when I put my hands on each side of his face, for any reason, I was trying to look at his eye color, he went crazy and growled and bit to get his head away, it was not hurting him for sure, so why does he show this behavior?

Nobody can touch him, he bites! Nobody can walk around, he grabs there pants, socks or legs! Nobody can pick him up, he'll grab their chin, nose..etc!

I considered puppy classes, about how much do they cost?? And what kind of things will he learn??

Please help, and feel free to give any suggestions or advice AT ALL, I definatly need!

Thanks! Also you can talk to me on MSN at [email protected]

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

There is no such thing as an agressive puppy when it's that young. He's a boxer, isn't he? Boxers aren't barky, but they are big on growling and making other noises. As you said in your other post, he's never played with other puppies before. Puppy socialization is VERY important and plays a very crucial role in teaching a dog that biting really hurts.

I've found most training schools to be around $100 a month.
    I've been BOO'd!

Maybe it is normal...but how can you live with a puppy that you cant walk where he will see you, or cant pick him up, or cant let any children play with him, or anyone at all play with him.

My mom says I have to pay for everything, I was planning on getting another babysitting job(I am 16 by the way) but how can I get a babysitting job when I cant leave the puppy home alone all day, nobody else will be here. I also have to get him neutered around march and buy food, toys, and everything else he needs without even getting any money.

I have been thinking, maybe a doggy daycare thing, but a babysitting pay cheque is only about $100-150 a week, which is probably even less than doggy daycare, so I still wouldnt be making any money lol

I wouldnt want to leave him in a crate all day, and if I dont he will use all over the house and chew things that could be dangerous!

Anyone have any suggestions? or advice?

RIP Jasper. I can't believe you're gone.
    RIP Tigger...I miss you every single day.
    Piddle Jasper Wiggles Emma Tucker Almond Pecan
    RB Furbabies:
    Tigger Ace

RIP Angus, I miss you!

I would look into Puppy Socials. There are several in my area that are either free of charge or cost about $5 per visit. There is no training involved, but there is always a qualified trainer in attendance that could answer questions. Is there an SPCA or a Humane Society in your area? They are an excellent resource for information and sometimes offer Puppy Kindergarten at a very reasonable price.

Now on to the behavior - you have had him in your life a short time. He still doesn't know you very well. He has been taken from his mother and put in a situation that he doesn't understand. He's probably stressed - and when dogs are stressed they act out (people too ) Your act of staring him right in the eyes was interpreted by him as an aggressive act, so he did what any dog would do - he growled. It would be the same as a young child throwing a temper tantrum if they are stressed - or scared - or tired.

The mouthing or play biting is going to be something that is going to take a while to break. Puppies explore with their mouth - it is instinctive. If the "ouch" method is not working (it doesn't work on all dogs) - you might have to try a different approach. Not all training methods work for all dogs.

When I first got Leo at 8 months his playbiting was out of control. I tried the "ouch" method and all it did was put him into a FRAP (Frantic Random Activity Period) where he would run around the house at breakneck speeds, jump over the furniture and tug and pull at my clothes even more. What eventually worked for Leo was "time outs" – every time he started play biting, I would give him a time out in his crate. What also might work is a calm "no bite" and give him something else to chew on. Being calm in your correction might be the key.

This is not something that you are going to solve overnight - it took about 4 months to break Leo of the playbiting. You have to be patient. Puppies are awfully cute , but they sure are a lot of work.

I would suggest you do an internet search for Boxer - Puppy - Training. You will probably get some sites that have a great deal of experience with training that particular breed.

Good Luck

Also when I put my hands on each side of his face, for any reason, I was trying to look at his eye color, he went crazy and growled and bit to get his head away, it was not hurting him for sure, so why does he show this behavior? >>>>>>>>>>>>>

The above statement, might suggest you have yourself
    a alpha pup that hasn't learned to trust you yet.
    You have gotten some very good advice from others.
    I would defenitly get him into some type of
    puppy kindergarten class if you can afford it,
    if not make sure you get him into
    a beginning obedience class by 6 months of age.
    Check around, their usually are group classes at
    a cheaper rate.
    As others have said you have only had him for such
    a short time. You need to both build on a relationship of trust
    and respect with each-other.
    Don't be discourage and have lots of patience while
    teaching him not to bite etc. Their are some
    good books you can even check out in the library for
    training and behavior before he starts puppy classes.
    Don't be hard on him, he is just a baby, just
    work on him having good manors for now and
    simple stuff.
    I think Carrie is back on Pet Talk, she will have some great advice.
    You might want to e-mail her for some help.

----<---<--<{(@

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    There is no such thing as an agressive puppy when it's that young.
    Yes there is. I have seen an 8 week old have to be put to sleep due to extreme aggression.

I AM NOT saying your Boxer is aggressive though DogLover. Instead of classes, I would invest in a behaviorist to give you some one on one sessions before you do classes.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by aly
    Yes there is. I have seen an 8 week old have to be put to sleep due to extreme aggression.
    What kind of aggression was this? In my opinion, 8 weeks is too young to be showing anything that wasn't inhibited by it's owner and can and should be reversed without difficulty.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by aly

I AM NOT saying your Boxer is aggressive though DogLover. Instead of classes, I would invest in a behaviorist to give you some one on one sessions before you do classes.
    I agree with you on both counts. I have heard of a 10 week old pup that exhibited such aggression it had to be put to sleep.

And I also don't think doglover's boxer is aggressive. It sounds like a normal rambunctious puppy that needs an outlet for it's energy. BUT it is impossible to diagnose and treat aggression over the net. True aggression problems need the help of an expert in person.

DogLover...whichever way you go, a personal trainer or puppy classes, try and do it soon. Both will help answer any questions you might have about behavior you are not sure about.

Good luck.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    What kind of aggression was this? In my opinion, 8 weeks is too young to be showing anything that wasn't inhibited by it's owner and can and should be reversed without difficulty.
    The puppy showed several different types of aggression, including food aggression. To be honest, I was crying too hard to watch the temperament test closely.

I know in one of Sue Sternberg's videos, they show several aggressive puppies who are under 3 months old. They were just born like that, it was not due to the owner. Sue Sternberg is a nationally respected behaviorist who specializes in aggression. If a puppy is born with aggression issues, you can't reverse it too easily. Most likely there's a screw loose somewhere and the problems will only worsen as the dog grows.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I know in one of Sue Sternberg's videos, they show several aggressive puppies who are under 3 months old. They were just born like that, it was not due to the owner. Sue Sternberg is a nationally respected behaviorist who specializes in aggression. If a puppy is born with aggression issues, you can't reverse it too easily. Most likely there's a screw loose somewhere and the problems will only worsen as the dog grows.
    I agree. There are certainly young, aggressive puppies - just as there are young, aggressive children. Everything is not always the fault of the parent or dog owner. There are dogs born with "a screw loose somewhere" just like there are people born that way. Sad, but true, and in those extreme case, euthanasia is best.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by DogLover9501

I have been thinking, maybe a doggy daycare thing, but a babysitting pay cheque is only about $100-150 a week, which is probably even less than doggy daycare, so I still wouldnt be making any money lol
    You know, you make the same amount of pay as me...I didn't realize babysitting paid that much! And with those kind of paychecks, I've paid for three $89 obedience classes for my dog (not to mention several hundred for crates, food, toys, etc.)

So if you don't think you can afford a behaviorist, at LEAST try to get him into a puppy kindergarten class....please...

My siberian husky was a very naughty puppy. He actually sounds a bit like your dog...he was very BITEY and downright vicious at times.

The classes helped us both immensely!

It may or may not be a big deal.

Teddy was aggressive when he was little. I think he thought he owned us. Once he figured out that we were alpha, he straightened out.

BUT, my dog Rosco turned out to be an aggressive dog. I can't even begin to tell you how painful it is to put a dog to sleep that you love dearly.

Get him training and work with him ASAP.

Pups of this age can be aggressive. Before I say anything else I would urge you to take a deep breath, sit down and think VERY carefully before you commit yourself any further. You have time pressure, money pressure, parent pressure and experience pressure as well as puppy pressure. This is, in no way, anything you could of forseen but you need to make a decision that you, your parents, your budget and your dog can live with. Not easy by any stretch of the imagination!

The possibilities, as I see them from what you have said, are that you may have a very dominant pup -pups are not taught this and a truly dominant animal is a VERY rare one. We all feel that we have been involved with dominant dogs but when you consider that in wild canids less than 1% of those that even survive to adulthood have the right genetic mix to attempt to lead a pack you can begin to see the difference between a dominant dog and a truly Alpha creature. I can honestly say that I have met only two or three truly Alpha dogs - taking into consideration that people come to me only when they are having problems, usually over dominance issues, that is a tiny percentage. If you do have a truly Alpha pup then you have trouble.

The next scenario is that you have a "normal" dominant pup - this type of pup is genetically made to challenge every single thing that you say, do, think and want!! Holding this type of pup by the side of his face to have a look at his eyes is exactly what this pup is made to resist! In his head the only things that matter are where and how the food arrives, who is the winner when playing games, who he can intimidate by using the weapons he was born with and who bows down to him socially (by looking away when he decides he wants to stare at them and ensuring that others NEVER get the chance to initiate staring eye contact and try maintain it with him!) Most people then get into a power struggle with this kind of pup without realising that the dog is usually in control - the way to go is to spend a great deal of time ignoring your adorable puppy while it continues to demand attention and you have parents getting ever more anxious that you have become tired of the pup and don't like it anymore!!

The third scenario is that the pup has developmental difficulties and you would need to consult a vet, possibly a behaviourist or two first, to establish if this is the case.

There are several possibilities but I do think you need to think about practical issues here as well as your love and loyalty to the dog - you may need to consider finding a more experienced home for the pup and perhaps taking on an older dog to gain some experience. I do want to stress the point that if this pup is not the dog for you then there is a dog out there waiting for you - do not let this put you off as you seem to be truly concerned for the dog and that should not go to waste. You seem to offer a great home and a great bond for the right dog but I'm not sure that this is the dog for you.
    Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do.