Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a mean owner...

a mean owner...

in my small neighborhood i always walk my 2 dogs off leash... everybody does. my dogs have never even barked at another dog (besides when they are barking to get out of the house to say hi to the dog) and HAVE NEVER attacked a dog
    sandy got attacked by a MEAN dog once and it bit her HARD right in her tail it cost over 500 dollars for stitches, ect. and all the owner said was "jeez hes just an animal lady" Oh my god! anyway one day i was walking my dogs and this little jack russel terrier was walking on leash with his owner. this dog started barking and teasing my dogs so sugar went after him and attacked him, immediately i was dumbfounded and in shock! i was saying "what can i do what can i do, this has never happened, ect." but did she care, no..... she kept screaming and yelling (and yes i do understand this ive been in her shoes)
    a week later we saw the dog again, sugar was on leash but sandy wasnt because she hadnt attacked anyone! but immediately when we saw the dog sandy went crazy she didnt attack it but she tried, she didnt break the skin though. a week later i got a letter from the owner, it was QUITE a mean letter calling me arrogant, selfish, and telling me if she ever sees my dog off leash again she will call the police and as well she sent the letter to the PD and the Animal Control.. my dogs are the sweetest dogs EVER, and this is just weird, i cant help but wonder if this happens a lot with this terrier, he's a mean dog.
    am i the only one who feels weird about this?
    ~:~:Christina!:~:~

thanks so much popcornbird for this awesum sig!!!!!!!!
    dogs leave pawprints on our hearts.

Do your dogs usually get along with other dogs (big and small)?
    if so dogs can pick up thing when dog arnt nice!!!
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

I always, always, always walk my dogs on a leash. You just never know what might happen.

Originally posted by PJ's Mom
    I always, always, always walk my dogs on a leash. You just never know what might happen.
    Same here. Except when we go to the dog park; I let them off.

I do that too...as long as there isn't anyone around. If I can see a person, or especially another dog, they have to stay on the leash until they're gone.

Then, look out.

If I were her I'd be pissed too. Dog's should ALWAYS be on leash except when at home, hiking, or at the dog park. It was your fault your dog's attacked hers, her dog was on a leash. And I would also report you as well.

You never know what can happen. Your dog was attacked once already, that should have let you know to walk them on leash at all times, especially since you have had three incidents already.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I feel weird about this -- why is the lady mean?

Your dogs attacked hers why IT was on a leash, as your dogs SHOULD have been.
    You'd think if it happened once with your dog being attacked, then with your dog attacking another -- You'd take them both on the leash the next time.
    Atleast that's what I comprehended from your text.

Do you guys have a leash law in California?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I know this has nothing to do with the thread but doesn't her dog look like Nova?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by Kfamr

Do you guys have a leash law in California?
    Yes we do have a leash law, although I know in some parts of San Diego dog's are almost NEVER on leash, and I think they may have done away with the leash law there?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I always, always, walk my boys on a leash. You just never know where or when trouble will be. My boys are like yours, ALWAYS very freindly, loving but I wouldn't know the day they just might not like some other dog, for what ever reason, and run over to fight. Or if there be a dog not on a leash who wants to start trouble I can have the upper hand controling my boys. Being on a leash will save you too, if there would be an altercation and your dogs are at fault and another dog is injured, you will just have to pay for Vet bills and not be fined for not having your dogs on a leash. In your case they lady with her dog was in the right. Her dog was on a leash, and she "could" do exactly what she said she would do to you. I believe it is just the safest way to go. Always leash.
    At our dog park, two of my boys can run free but I still leash my Macs, at 10 lbs. he just has a "tude" sometimes. But he's working on it.....
    Tailwags, Linda, Mr.T, Macs, and Oskar

Originally posted by luckies4me
    I know this has nothing to do with the thread but doesn't her dog look like Nova?
    A bit.

Somone used to say Nala & Nova looked alike allll the time.... but I never saw it.

But Nova & Sugar look alike.. more than Nala and Nova.

-rx bandits

Nova and Sugar do look alike!!!!

My dogs are always on a leash.
    Riley is the friendliest little creature you could ever meet, but I wouldn't want to risk anything.
    Jada is an absolute saint if she is off leash, but I don't want to take any chances. She has only been off leash with us up at my dad's house, when we went hiking in the woods, and we wanted to see how she would behave.
    As for Kito and Abbey--they are both hunters and follow their nose before anything else--they are never off leash either.

I don't think this lady was in the wrong here, her dog was leashed.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Dogs do tend to bark at other dogs, however the JRT was just doing what most terriers do. It doesn’t mean that it’s a “mean dog”. Terriers protect their territory and pack members above all else.

The owner was doing the responsible thing, she had her dog on leash. I personally would have reported you the first time. One of the things that makes me the angriest is when I’m out walking my dogs and encounter someone whose dogs aren’t on leash. Many people think they know their dogs well enough to walk then without a leash, but you yourself say that your dog hasn’t ever reacted that way before. Sometimes our dogs will react differently to other dogs and are therefore unpredictable and shouldn’t be off leash in a public area, unless designated as off leash. Period. This goes for anyone’s dogs. IMHO

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Yes we do have a leash law, although I know in some parts of San Diego dog's are almost NEVER on leash, and I think they may have done away with the leash law there?
    Hmm... I wonder if she's in one of those areas.

Even so -- I'd NEVER take the chances with them off-leash. they may be nice, and may be trained "perfectly" but -- Dogs are still animals, and still have instincts and are able to run off to another dog, infront of a car, to another person -- whatever it may be that catches their eye.

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    Hmm... I wonder if she's in one of those areas.

Even so -- I'd NEVER take the chances with them off-leash. they may be nice, and may be trained "perfectly" but -- Dogs are still animals, and still have instincts and are able to run off to another dog, infront of a car, to another person -- whatever it may be that catches their eye.
    Exactly. You NEVER know what can happen. Anything... cars, mountain lions, bears...........oh my!

hehe ok maybe I am being just a tad bit silly this morning, haven't eaten yet.

EDIT: And Bears and Mountain Lions are a really threat in some places when dog's are off leash. There's been many instances especially in California of dogs being attacked my Mountain Lions and Bears. In fact, about two months ago my mom's teacher was out walking and as he turned the corner a huge Brown Bear was standing there. He took some awesome photos, but it just goes to show that anything can happen. Luckily his dog wasn't with him that day or I am sure something tragic would have happened.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major