Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Substituting for a Child?

Im hardly old enough (19) to have children anyhow but i have no wish for a skin kid at all, now or ever, but things may change who knows??? (i doubt it though,lol)
    but i will allways allways have a furkid or 2,3,4 and they would/are a substitue for a skin kid!!!
    Ky and furkid Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

Great responses to a wonderful thread!

Even though I've never wanted/had children, I am thankful that I hardly ever get questioned for my decision. Also, I'm glad that no one has ever accused me of substituting my dog for a child because I don't think that loving an animal is the same type of love that loving your own human kids is. Just like loving a friend is different than loving a parent or a spouse. Please don't get me wrong, I love my dog more than I can say. As a matter of fact, I am crazy for him and I love him more and more as time goes on. Basically, I am head-over-paws over my furbaby!

Great thread!

The need to nurture, to love and be loved, is universal. Whether you have pets, a garden, kids- or some combination- you will be changed by caring. And you'll want to share your joys and concerns, naturally!

Too bad some folks will try to dampen your spirits by criticizing and trying to pigeon-hole you. It might not have been so upsetting, had your friend just asked "are you planning to have children too, someday?"

What I think non-pet owners miss is understanding the relationships that form between humans and animals. Dogs are different from us, but also so like us (if you think about it). They may not communicate with words, but like a small child you learn to recognize their emotions and needs.

And like babies, each pet has a distinct personality...

That is so rude! I hear that stuff too sometimes. I have a child, but I tend to talk about my pets more then him. People make fun of me because I am so into animals.

Since Ralph and I have been married almost 3 years now, we often get asked if we have kids or when we are going to. Yes, we have 3, all with paws and tails Do we want skin-kids? Most likely, just not quite yet. For now, our dogs are our babies (and even if we have kids, they still will be )

My favorite answer to the kid thing, is well, we are still busy having fun and you can't leave babies home alone...even if you put them in a kennel and give them lots of toys to play with

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

My favorite answer to the kid thing, is well, we are still busy having fun and you can't leave babies home alone...even if you put them in a kennel and give them lots of toys to play with
    We say the same thing!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

YES! Cami is like my moms 6th child! She calls cami Sweetheart and she calls me Amber.. She says cami is the best girl ever, hello Daughter! She will cook food for cami, and we have to find something to eat in the Cabniet.. Cami goes everywhere with my mom, me, i usually have to stay home and watch my brother.. She will make me take cami out and hold the unbrella over *cami* and make me get soaked.. Cami gets more hugs than i ever have before, should i keep going?

I totally agree! I'm 52, broke off an engagement years ago, have no regrets..after I got Cody, I thought I'd rather spend my life with HIM rather than the ex! When you come down to it, really, our pets are "kids" . It's our responsibility to take them outside regardless of weather or how we feel at that moment, to feed them nuroshing food on time, take them to the doctor when necessary, only they can't verbally tell us what they want. Human babies grow up, get potty trained, feed themselves..our pets will always rely on US. They are babies that will never "grow up" like human kids. I love kids but never wanted rhem. I'm a toddler/dog magnet (I should have been a politician.. ) I have a wonderful boyfriend who loves (d) Cody and Klo. I feel fullfilled in my life. Some people shouldn't have kids and some shouldn't be animal owners anyway. On a sad note, Caroline Knapp died this year (I think April) of lung cancer. Lucille was laying next to her on her bed when she passed. Her boyfriend has custody of Lucille. It was one of the best books I've ever read. From the 1st page, I thought she was reading my mind and expressing my feelings. The book is a must!!

I've been Boooo'd!

Hmmm my dogs are not a substitute for children as I don't want children but I do want dogs....LOL
    I'm young and maybe my thoughts on wanting a child will change, but I doubt it.
    My thoughts on owning dogs will never change though, that I know.

Also someone brought up the issue on different types of love. I agree that there are different types and well I don't really believe in love, for myself. I don't think it's possible to love a person the way I love my dogs.

Cincy'sMom.... I say the same thing!!!

I am 28, I met my hubby in 93, and we got married in 2001. I think because we had already been together for 8 years, people expected us to have kids right away. So when people ask about kids, I whip out a pic of the pups!!!

I used to want kids real bad, but now I think I wouldn't mind waiting another few years!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
    AND no one will call Child Protective Services....

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

But really, A dog is like a child. You have to feed it, bathe it, play with it, take it to the doctor, socialize it, teach it, potty train it -- and so on!

Yes, you have to do all those things ... but raising a child is 1,000,000 times more complex, difficult, important and emotionally draining/rewarding than owning a dog. I'm quite sure anyone with children will agree with me, and anyone who only has dogs and no kids will not necesarily understand.

I have one child, and ten dogs. I love, love, love my dogs. But they are dogs. They are not my children. They are my dogs. If I would have never had a child, I would still have lots of dogs and I would still love them dearly. But they would still not be my "children". They would still be dogs.
    Last edited by Twisterdog; 11-09-2003 at 01:50 PM.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Yes, many people have taken my dogs as a substitute for children. I on the other hand, do not take them as my children. I have 5 brothers and 3 sisters. All 6 of my dogs are female dogs. So, when someone asks me how many brothers and sisters I got, I just say 5 brothers and 9 sisters!