Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender Preferance

Gender Preferance

I have heard that female cats are more likely to choose a male human companion while male cats are more likely to choose a female one. Would you say that's true? My RB Ernie and my current furball Boomer definately considered me their person, while my parent's kitten Emily seems to be quite the little Daddy's girl. Is this pretty much a universal thing?

I'm trying to think of ways to get my hunny to allow us a second cat, I thought maybe that if we brought home a female cat and she were to choose him, he'd fall for her and let me keep her Shh!!! Don't tell him that though I've got several years before I can even THINK about actually putting this plan into use, but it's never too early to start easing my husband into the idea

With the number of cats I have, we've had all possibilities. But those that follow this example are Amber as a daddy's girl and Monte as a mama's boy.

But I think that the most convincing argument to allowing a 2nd cat into a household is that it is GOOD FOR THE CAT. I think each species should have company that can relate to them on their own level.

Well it sure has been and is this way in our house. All the males were loverboys to the females and our only female had attached to daddy! I think there is something about the way men tend to treat females - like precious cargo you know? How can a girl kitty resist this? We DO treat our pets like kids. The males are supposed to be more aggressive and the females tend to be "princesses".

The females in our household seem to be more attached to me. The males congregate towards Kevin. I have one male that loves me more, but he also gives Kevin quality time.
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

I think it depends on the animal. The family cat, Sherman, loves everyone and spends countless hours on my dad's lap. As long as it's his idea and he initiates the adoring, he'll stay on anyone's lap as long as you pet and scratch him. With my dog... well, she has a very, very sweet temperament. She and I are best friends and I know she loves me, but when my fiance (her daddy) comes over she is just over the moon. She gazes at him, sits on the couch next to him, won't leave him alone.

I've heard that male animals tend to "bond" more with the female humans and vice versa for female animals, but I think regardless (unless they just get a really bad vibe from you or something), they love everyone.

I'm not sure if there is any truth to this but it was definately the case in my house.
    My RB Jock was defo a mummys boy and his sis Bonnie loves her daddy to pieces. Thats why when Jock passed away I found it sooooooo hard as I was pretty jealous of Bonnies relationship with my boyfriend (I know its silly but I couldn't help it!!). Anyway luckily for me Bonnie divides her time equally between us now

Ally is definately a Mommies girl! It's a rare event that she will jump up on my hubby's lap, and despite claims to the contrary I really thing he enjoys it (He's a big softy).

It's too soon to tell with Connor. He's not as much of a "lap-cat" as Ally (just as well, considering he is 3 times her size), but he does seem to gravitate towards Daddy! (Like he knows whos good side he needs to be on )

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

Thumper clings to Mom.
    Skinny and Butterscotch give us both (hubby and I) equal time

Tubby is the biggest Momma's boy you've ever seen, and Peanut is the apple of her Daddy's eye, so yes, our family follows what you've heard.

However, I think the most important thing to getting one that will bond with your husband, and he with it, is to get him involved in the selection process. If you go to a shelter, take the one that chooses him, not the one that would be your choice. If you make it seem like "his" cat right from the beginning and let him choose who comes to live with you, you are much more likely to be successful in your bid for a second "kid."

Good luck!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I have one male and two females and all are closer to me than my husband but since I brought the two females in Ripley does seem to be closer to my husband.

Scout (female) has nothing to do with my husband unless he is eating and prefers me always but I think that is because she is still new and was abused by boys before I got her.

Now my parent's cat likes me but she LOVES my husband. We don't call her Miss Kitty for nothing, LOL!!

From Decker with Love

Hey Sirrahsim (my daughter) I think Peanut & Tubby's mom has good advice - when that time comes and hubby agrees to a second cat - it should be known as "his". I get jealous when I see Emily adoring her daddy and turning her little butt to me. Eliot can be a big mama's boy - but only when he is in the mood. He does prefer me though - but no cat has "owned" me except for RB Bert. That cat adored me and it was mutual. Again - when that time comes, I think Paul will chose and adore (and be adored). He is NOT a cat person but will have to learn to be - married to you!!
    By the way I am *that* close to going out and getting myself an orange male!! We raised three kids - why not three cats?? I firmly believe that orange males were made just for mommies!!

Hubby and I have 3 female kitties. I am always their first choice regarding laps. They only sit in his if I'm "full up," i.e., if someone else got there first.
    Last edited by Maresche; 11-06-2003 at 02:09 PM.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Originally posted by sirrahbed
    By the way I am *that* close to going out and getting myself an orange male!! We raised three kids - why not three cats?? I firmly believe that orange males were made just for mommies!!
    Orange males are the best .... although I may be just a LITTLE BIT prejudiced

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

I agree...orangie males are the best!!

Here is a breakdown of how our cats relate to us, in our house:

Noah(m): is my baby boy...put gives David attention too

Noel(f): is David's girl, but if I give her even 5 minutes of extra love, she's my best friend.

Basil(m): MY kitty! The only time he loves David is when a new kitty comes home.

Olivia(f): Both our cat, but I think she likes him a bit better

Micah(m): MY kitty!! David gets love if he has food.

Hermie(f): Both our cat, but I think she prefers me

The kittens like me because I spend more time with them. Emma seems to gravitate more towards David, Phoebe, more towards me. (both female)
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Hmmm, my girls never had a choice to chose a human because I'm living alone. But my RB Katz didn't like males very much, she was afraid of them (but she also hated my mother LOL).

Kirsten