Thread: Well we re-formatted the computer (good thing) but now I have a problem......

Well we re-formatted the computer (good thing) but now I have a problem......

For some very odd reason I am no longer able to download the Java Virtual Machine so I can play puzzles etc. I just downloaded it the other day but since we reformatted it won't let me. Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? It's really frustrating since most of the sites I go to use Java. Please help!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Gonna try help,

Have you changed operating systems? (like moved to Windows XP, ?)

Did you have to buy a licence for it, or is it freeware?

Might not have removed totally from your machine (even tho re-formatted). Does it show up in your programs list?
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Yeah, Microsoft doesn't provide a Java Virtual Machine anymore because it's Sun Microsystem's technology and they aren't getting enough money from Sun (LOL). When you upgraded they considered that a "new" installation for which they won't support or provide the Java. Here's where you can download a Java machine directly from Sun: Get Java Technology I downloaded it and it works fine.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    Yeah, Microsoft doesn't provide a Java Virtual Machine anymore because it's Sun Microsystem's technology and they aren't getting enough money from Sun (LOL). When you upgraded they considered that a "new" installation for which they won't support or provide the Java. Here's where you can download a Java machine directly from Sun: Get Java Technology I downloaded it and it works fine.
    Ya I know. That's where I downloaded it from the other day, directly from Sun and it worked perfectly fine, but now today when I try it it won't work? I am totally confused. Do you think it has something to do with having not installed a Windows update yet? I have it downloaded but when I go to install it, I get an error.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I just thought of somethng.

It could be the fact that you have not run the update to XP from the MS site.

When XP first came out it was meant to run with MS's VM and then SUN won there lawsuit and MS could no longer put there VM in, and had to be able to run with the Sun VM. So basically, if the version of your XP is from when XP first came out and maybe doesn't have something that came in later versions or that was installed with an update. OK I admit this is highly unlikely but it could be. What makes it even more unlikely is that it worked for you yesterday. Which means that what I just wrote could be totally useless. Thank you for reading my train of thought.

What is the error that you are getting? Better yet, did you install any programs between the time that it worked yesterday and did not work today?

We'll start there.

If anybody has anything else, they are probablly bette then mine.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

Catdad,

Love your motto, "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by lizbud
    Catdad,

Love your motto, "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"

lol, me too!!!!

Sorry, total computer idiot here, I can't help you out
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by CatDad
    I just thought of somethng.

It could be the fact that you have not run the update to XP from the MS site.

When XP first came out it was meant to run with MS's VM and then SUN won there lawsuit and MS could no longer put there VM in, and had to be able to run with the Sun VM. So basically, if the version of your XP is from when XP first came out and maybe doesn't have something that came in later versions or that was installed with an update. OK I admit this is highly unlikely but it could be. What makes it even more unlikely is that it worked for you yesterday. Which means that what I just wrote could be totally useless. Thank you for reading my train of thought.

What is the error that you are getting? Better yet, did you install any programs between the time that it worked yesterday and did not work today?

We'll start there.

If anybody has anything else, they are probablly bette then mine.
    Everything is the same that we had before we reinstalled and reformatted. Nothing has changed. We have all the same programs etc. So.......the other day BEFORE we reformatted I was able to download it just fine, and had to download it again because Dan had reinstalled XP, but didn't reformat yet because he doesn't know anything lol. Then I was able to download it just fine. Then we reinstalled and reformatted the computer and now it won't let me install it. I have downloaded it but am having complications with the install and keep getting different error messages over and over again. It's really pissing me off....
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Ok now it's working! Hurray!!!!!!!

The reason why I was so mad is because I have a Java deadline and it's due tomorrow!

And um, I also wanted to play a Jigzone puzzle.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Cass,

I am really glad to hear that it is working, that is the important thing. I would kind of like to know what you did. If you have time after your your project is done I would love to hear the story.

That's about it.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"