Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Know Anything About Turtles

Anyone Know Anything About Turtles

A neighbor across the street from me found a turtle about
    a week ago. He said he didn't want to keep it as a pet or anything, but was afraid it would be run over by a passing car,
    so he's been keeping it in an old fish tank on his front porch.
    I noticed the tank from my front porch the other day & thought
    it was a gerbil or hamster. I went over to ask him about it & he
    told me how he found it walking down the sidewalk.(the turtle).
    Anyhow, the turtle has a flat shaped shell & red & black strips
    on it's underside. He said it might be a "pippen". He's
    feeding it bread and baloney. I 'm thinking about asking him to
    let me have it & then releasing the turtle in one of our state
    parks. It really bothers me to see it in this tank day after day.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

IMO, that turtle needs to be released ASAP. The turtle hibernation period is coming up, and if the turtle is kept in captivity with someone who doesn't know anything 'bout turtles- it is not going to be able to hibernate. Wild turtles also have harmful bacteria such as salmonella, you need to wash your hands right away after holding/touching the turtle. Turtles are not herbivores, so it should not be eating bread. Worms, hamburger (raw), insects, bugs, etc. should be fed to the turtle if it is wild caught.

Also if it is in a non-covered tank, it won't be long until a hungry raccoon decides it is time for a tasty turtle snack, and since the turtle can't run away, it will be eaten guaranteed.

I think the person needs to drive around and find a slow moving river/stream or pond near by, away from tons of traffic and release the turtle, it is the best thing to do.

Here is an EXCELLENT article on wild caught turtles kept in captivity, I suggest it be read: CLICK HERE

Last edited by Desert Arabian; 11-07-2003 at 06:13 AM.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Good post YLL - what she said!

Poor turtle! S/he needs to hiberate any day now, unless your neighbor is planning on keeping him as a pet - which may or may not even be legal. Time for a turtle-napping so the turtle can start napping!

The advice given by YellowLabLover and Karen could be the perfectly right thing to do ... or it could be a horrible mistake!

It all depends on one thing ... is the turtle a native species to your area? This is crucially important!!

If it is a wild turtle that is a native species, and it just happened to be wandering in the road, then by all means, it needs to be released where other members of its species lives, and ASAP, too.

BUT if it is a pet turtle, from a pet store, and not a native species, there are several things that could happen, none of which are good. First and most likely, the turtle will just die, being in a wild environment ina potentially different climate than it is suited for. Second scenario: the turtle lives long enough to infect the native turtle population with whatever disease it may be carrying from the pet store or it's native area. The native turtles/reptiles/amphibians may not have immunity to a different disease, and be decimated quickly. Third scenario: the turtle thrives, maybe meets up with another of its kind that also got "released" by a well-meaning but uninformed pet owner. They breed. They eat native species with no natural defense/awareness to them. They take over. They wipe out natural species. This is a HUGE problem in many parts of the world.

Please, please, please NEVER release ANY pet into the wild, and only release a wild animal when it has been checked by a licensed wildlife rehabber first.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wow another darned if you do and darned if you don't. My money is on that it just another wild turtle who has lost its way. I vote turtle nap and take to new turtle habitat and release. Are you sure it's not a tortoise? Hmmmmmmm
    Nibbles

I don't know if it's a native species or not. I know nothing
    about turtles. I've tried google to find some info on type,etc.
    and the nearest it sounds like is a painted turtle by the description I read on some sites. I did read that they hibernate
    and thought this critter needed to get out of the tank, if only
    for that reason. The fish tank was not on the guy's porch this
    evening. The weather has changed a lot since yesterday. It's
    dropped about 30 degrees to the 40's. This neighbor is not a
    mean person, just about as ignorant as I am about turtles. So
    I thought I'd just tell him what I thought was best & buy the
    turtle or have the guy turn him over to me.I'll ask him tomorrow
    if he has brought him inside or whatever. Thanks, Liz.

p.s. He thinks he is a land turtle. He's definately not a box
    turtle.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

If you can get the turtle from him, call a wildlife rehab center and they will pick it up.

Does this help to identify him?

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/herps/eboxturtle.htm

http://www.duke.edu/~jspippen/herps/paintedturtle.htm
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Twisterdog,

Of these two, it looks like the 2nd one. The shell is flat like
    and the vivid red & black stripes are there. I'll try to see what
    the guy did with the turtle today after work. Thanks for your
    help here.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Anyone Know Anything About Turtles

Originally posted by lizbud
    He's feeding it bread and baloney. I 'm thinking about asking him to let me have it & then releasing the turtle in one of our state parks. It really bothers me to see it in this tank day after day.
    If for some reason he doesn't let you have it, please tell him to feed the turtle Veg. and more natural things. Not a sandwich,
    It's a turtle not a kid. LOL And have him fill the bottom of the tank with sand so the turtle can dig.

But my hope is he lets you have him and you will do whats right for the turtle.

The tank & turtle were back out on his porch tonight.
    Darn, I thought he released it. He must bring it inside at night.
    When I saw the tank he had a little water in the bottom with
    small white pebbles covering the bottom of the tank. He had
    a large flat rock that the turtle could stand on to get out of the
    water. It gets dark within 45 mins of my getting home, so I'll
    have to wait till tomorrow, but I'm going to offer to buy this
    turtle & bring him to a large state park. There's one about 40
    mins. from me. (Eagle Creek State Park) Indy is going to get
    a hard freeze over the weekend. (27 degrees) It's not a tiny
    little hatchling or anything & he/she will at least be able to
    eat bugs , hibernate or whatever they would do naturally.
    Geeze, I don't need this hassle. I wish I would never have seen
    it in the first place. I just can't forget about it & see it there
    day after day. Know what I mean? Tomorrow's independance
    day for this turtle.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

So ... what happened?

I saw the turtle back out in it's tank yesterday, so I went
    over to talk to the man & his wife about it. I fibbed a bit &
    told her I knew someone who would take the turtle.She said
    it would be alright as long as it went to a good home. She then
    held the turtle and talked to it & said her goodbyes. That
    turtle responded to her voice just as a cat or dog would. He
    was so calm. I took the turtle in a open box & drove to the park.
    The turtle acted very scared & stressed the whole way there.
    I felt so bad & really questioned whether I was doing the right
    thing letting it loose in the wild. It's clearly been raised as a pet.
    After driving around for about a hour, I took him back to her &
    told her that this person I had in mind couldn't take him right
    now & I apologized. We got to talking about turtle food, etc.
    I mentioned that I shop at PetsMart at least once a week & I
    could pick up some for her. Long story short, I went to the store
    and bought several types of turtle food for her & she repaid me
    what it cost. I told her that I'd be happy to bring more wentever
    it's needed as I go there every week.They don't have a car, so
    I've decided it's better to help them & the turtle this way than
    to release it in the park.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

If this turtle is kept as a pet, it's important that it have the proper environment, or it will be miserable, get sick and die. There's plenty of free turtle care info on the net (try About.com for starters). Print out a fact sheet for these folks (at the very least). The turtle deserves it.

Turtles need a specific amount of space, light, and heat. If this is an aquatic turtle (most flat shelled turtles are) like a painted or a slider, they can't eat unless their food is in water. Aquatic turtles need water in their habitat, and also need a place they can dry out, or they'll grow fungus. I could go on, being the turtle daddy that I am.

It's pretty easy to care for a turtle once you know the "rules". Let us know how it turns out. Who knows? That turtle might wind up as the POTD one day. Good luck.

-Tim

Originally posted by subwayseries
    If this turtle is kept as a pet, it's important that it have the proper environment, or it will be miserable, get sick and die. There's plenty of free turtle care info on the net (try About.com for starters). Print out a fact sheet for these folks (at the very least). The turtle deserves it.

Turtles need a specific amount of space, light, and heat. If this is an aquatic turtle (most flat shelled turtles are) like a painted or a slider, they can't eat unless their food is in water. Aquatic turtles need water in their habitat, and also need a place they can dry out, or they'll grow fungus. I could go on, being the turtle daddy that I am.

This turtle certainly does not have a proper environment.
    These folks are not cruel people at all, but the guy made it quite
    clear to me yesterday that he does not want to keep it. I guess
    he doesn't know what to do with it. I thought that providing the
    right food would at least keep it from starving. I didn't know
    about the fungus issue. It does have a spot on it's shell that
    is lighter that the rest of it. Sort of like a powdery like spot.
    I guess their having good intentions are really not enough here.
    I think I should re-think leaving him/her with them. I wish I knew
    the right thing to do for it. The park I was going to take him to
    is a city park, but it's over 4,400 acres & has a large lake & many
    streams. Should I take it there?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

I wouldn't release it unless you know that it is for sure a wild turtle. Have you tried contacting a Wildlife Rehabber to see if they can care for him? That would really be the best. Can you take the turtle? Hope all goes well.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.