Thread: Dusty is humping all of a sudden.

Dusty is humping all of a sudden.

Ummm, sorry about the choice of words. I can't think of a better word right now. Dusty is neutered and probably around 3 years old. I have never ever had a problem with him humping anything or anyone. Now, out of the blue, he is humping Roxy all of the time. They've lived together for almost a year without this happening. It's so uncool. Why do you think he's doing this all of a sudden? Could Teddy have taught him bad habits? I keep telling him no and pulling him off.

How does Roxy react to it? Who is the more dominant of the two? If Roxy doesn't like it I'd just let her tell him off.

Roxy doesn't seem to notice. lol. I have never really been able to decide who is dominate over the two. I've seen either of them eat first. They don't fight over bones, they take turns. Dusty is deffinatly more possesive over me then Roxy, so I'd say perhaps Dusty is the alpha. I am the only thing he won't share with her.

I don't know why he'd change his behavior like that!

I know that sometimes the tiniest things will set off a show of dominance. Jake decided to start doing it again when Max got a new toy and we started playing with Max more. Then Max started getting pushy after Jake slept in our room with us one night (Max usually sleeps in our room).

Maybe Roxy got something new or got to do something she usually doesn't do?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

When my aunt's dog was spayed.. (yes she was a girl) she started humping everything.

I don't know if it is common.. but London (my aunt's dog) did do it.
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Dusty has had alot of timeouts lately because he's been especially bad with the kitties. Perhaps he's feeling unmanly since Roxy gets to stay out with us.

Humping?

I know where you are coming from. I think I know what the cause of it is too. You see, when we got a boy dog and neuterd him, him humped everything he saw. It is because, when they have that cord cut it makes them feel like something is missing and makes them ( sorry to use this word) horny. He then has an urge to hump every other dog and person. It is the horny part that causes this. Also, if it has been a while since he has been neuterd, it is probably because he smells a female in heat and cannot get out to go see her. That can drive a male dog nuts and he will definately start humping everything in sight. I hope that this helps.

Hee, hee, my little Klo humped my leg the first day! At first I thought she was being affections AND grateful I rescued her, until I came to my senses and realized what SHE was doing!

I've been Boooo'd!

Both boy and girl dogs can engage in this behaviour and it is not always the way we see it.
    It can be a play behaviour and is seen in puppies as well as teens and adults, it can be a dominance related activity although that is not always the case and it can develop into an attention seeking behaviour.If the animals in question are both neutered and it does not provoke an aggressive response then distraction is your best policy when in public - the ball ( tennis ball - no pun intended - honest!) or a game or just run away very quickly calling both dogs in a happy, cheery voice. If it occurs in the house and in private be very careful how you react - making physical contact can encourage this behaviour - your best plan is to pretend you just don't notice and walk away - the dogs will sort it out and it isn't anywhere near as much of an issue for them as it can be for you. A male dog will not understand that he is being deprived of sexual behaviour when he is neutered and will not engage in this behaviour because he feels deprived - it is well documented, however that male dogs that have had previous mating experience before neutering often continue the behaviour - this is one of the reason it is a good idea to have a male dog neutered before he has a mating. With a rescue or waif and stray animal you may not be aware of the history. If you simply distract the animal when in public without making an issue of the activity and ignore it when at home - make a point of walking away from the dogs when this behaviour begins - it should decrease fairly rapidly.

I have just read the other posts here - castration in this country usually involves removal of the testes - if castration involves the cutting of the Vas Deferens only (the tubes) then hormone levels will remain unchanged and entire male behaviour should be expected.

I just wanted to throw in here about my two. They are both altered and never try to "hump" each other EXCEPT when they are playing. Then they both take turns "humping" each other. Neither seems to be bothered when the other is doing it. I do remember how surprised I was when I first saw Tasha do this to Tommy, but I realized it wasn't being done in the sense that humans often view it, it was a form of play. Perhaps setting aside their roles in the pack (usually Tasha is the alpha). When they play they seem to be on equal ground. They switch off showing their belly to the "attacker" and switch off mounting the other.

I always find it fascinating to watch their interactions with each other. It's like watching a wolf pack interacting in your own home.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Yes, it is very interesting to watch them interacting together. Since we begun the remodel, we've torn the curtains down on the windows that face the backyard. I am just now realizing how much I have missed. The dogs are so fascinating to watch; especially when they don't realize that I am watching. I have been sitting on the couch everyday and watching them. I have my own zoo. Dusty has since quit humping. Something must have happened that had threatened his Alphahood. Roxy is now Alpha. They switched spots. lol.

Thank you Wolfie!

Glad to hear it! Happy Holidays Everyone and their dogs too!