Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When you moved out...

When you moved out...

What was it like? Did you graduate school first? Were you going to college at the time? Did you have pets? What was it like having to buy groceries and spending all YOUR money? Any stories to tell?

Just a curious teenager. I'm in grade 11...only 2 more years to go! I know you're going to say NOT to wish for things like that but I can't help it!
    I've been BOO'd!

I moved away to college shortly after my 18th birthday. I remember I was really scared at first because I didn't know a single person and all my family was in Texas and I was in Arizona. But soon I met a lot of new friends and felt a little less homesick everyday. Living in a dorm was fun but I was sad because I didn't have any pets, thankfully my resident assistant and I got along and she let me sneak a hamster into my room as long as I didn't let too many people know about him . I really hated spending money on things that I needed, for the first time I actually had what seemed like a lot of money. But it took me a long time to get used to figuring out how much of it was for things I need and how much of it was for fun.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I was at home until I was 24. I got a job right out of high school and worked for 6 yrs before meeting my first BF. Two years later in 1977 I moved in with him (much to my Father's dismay..). I didn't seem like that much of an adjustment. We pooled our money and went on a Caribbean Cruise and travelled alot. Life was good, until 1987 when I caught him in bed with my x-best friend
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I moved out when I was 19. Me, Brian, and my friend, monika shared a condo. Then in a year, Brian and I rented our own apartment. Then another year went by, and we bought our house when we were 21.

I love being out of my mom's house, but I still love living within 5 minutes of her (we live in the same town)

When we lived in the condo, Brian had his RB kitty, Bubba, and I had Neko. Then in the apartment we got Cookie. And we added Pumpkin and Tama when we bought the house.

Yes I was in college up the whole time until I graduated in 200.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I moved out and started university when I was 17. My brother and I shared a townhouse and a car. It was challenging learning to deal with money and so much independence, but fun!

Perhaps if you're worried about money and budgeting skills you could start now by helping your parents with things like the groceries. They could give you a certain amount and you would have to figure out how to get the most food for a week with the given amount. Exercises like that would have been really helpful for me.

I moved out when we got married. It was a huge life change and pretty scary at times. Yes, it was an adjustment, but I loved my new life at the same time.

Azure was the only pet at the time, and he came with me! We soon got a hamster and that was the beginning of our houseful of critters.

I graduated in May and got married in July because I wanted to get out of the house ASAP (I think you can understand why). I worked full-time at a Food Barn grocery store while my exhusband went to college. Even though we had very inexpensive student family housing, it was difficult. You really don't understand until you move out how much rent, electricity, car payments, insurance, etc. really cost. It doesn't leave much room for $ for clothes or makeup or anything, and then if you have an emergency things can really get tough.

If I could give you any advice, I'd say that if you're going to stay in the same town you should wait until you already have a job and the health insurance has kicked in, before you move out. Then if you have a health emergency you won't break the bank.

It is fun at first, though, to be out on your own "playing house"! Enjoy!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Oh my, I don't even want to think about depending on myself for money. I'd spend every cent on Kai lol.

I plan on moving out maybe a few years after graduating. I want to have alot of money saved up because I'm NOT good with money so I know it'll take a while to adjust. Maybe, I'll complete my course out in salmon arm first..then move out after I get a stable job as a dog trainer lol. meh..who knows.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Well, I'm really good at saving money. I'm terrible though. I'd probably starve myself as long as I get to keep my precious money. lol. But I am worried about whether or not I'll have enough money. But when I think of how little my mom gets, and how we are fine, I think I'll be fine lol. Like Ashley, I am thinking of becoming a dog trainer. I'll be going to CWCC in Salmon Arm too. But I don't know about starting my own training business...I was thinking of maybe getting a job as a trainer at Petcetera or something..
    I've been BOO'd!

I moved out when I got married at age 24.

I learned from my sisters who moved out to
    live in apartments.
    It was much easier to
    remain at home, pay my mom rent,
    than to have to strugle paying
    bills while going to school and working.
    (I must say I had a wonderful mom which
    made remaining at home a pleasure)

I agree with stacwase, If you do move out, make
    sure you have a decent job with health insurance.
    (and don't get involved with a looser boyfriend that
    can't pay his share.)
    It's not fun having to strugle and making ends meet.

----<---<--<{(@

I moved out several times! The first time, I was about 16. My mom was pretty psycho and we didn't get along well. My bestfriend came from a strong Christian family. They moved me into their house. By almost 18, I moved back home because I missed my mom.

Then, at 18 I moved into a dorm at Bethany Bible college by Santa Cruz. I was going to major in Ministry. That didn't feel like freedom because they pretty much told you when you could take a crap there. I dropped out before the first semester ended because I realized it wasn't my forte.

I only lived back home for about a month and was itching for my own place. I was waitressing and not making much money.

I got this crappy trailer in the back of a house with furniture for $280 a month. I was happy as can be even though it was hard making ends meet.

Then I got pregnant. I moved back home and stayed with my mom through my entire pregnancy. I had Jaden when I was 19.

When I was almost 20, I got hired at the phone company and for the first time in my life was making decent money. I got my own apartment. That only lasted about 6 months before I got married. My husband was 13 years older then me so once again, I was far from independent.

I was married for one year, and divorced. So, guess what? I moved back home again. That time I was home for 2 weeks. lol. Couldn't stand my mom, so I got a house with a roomate. I still didn't feel independent because my ex had left me so much debt that I was always borrowing money from my roomate.

I lived in that house for about a year, and got debt free. Then Mike and I got a place together. We've owned this house for 3 years in April. For the first time ever, I really feel independent. It sucks. I want to be in highschool again.

lol yeah, I wanted to maybe start off at petcetera then do maybe my own classes on the weekends at a rented location like Kai's current instructor...and establish a little base for later on. I'll save money while working there and *hopefully* rent out a building as my little training/daycare centre. Care to move to vancouver to work with me?

Originally posted by binka_nugget
    Care to move to vancouver to work with me?
    LOL, I thought about it...But I have so much stuff, I'd need a moving truck to go there with me! And I don't want to spend my precious money on THAT..
    I've been BOO'd!

I'll pay for the truck! LOL!

LOL! And make me feel guilty?
    I've been BOO'd!