Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is this dog food ok?

Is this dog food ok?

After reading some posts on other topics I realized I really don't know much about the food that my family is feeding my dogs. It is hard to find reliable information because there are so many websites with ads on them. I feed my dogs dry Eukanuba. I used to mix the wet with the dry, but they like the dry alone better. Occasionally they eat a raw egg in it, or I may put some warm water in it, just to change things a bit. Sylvia eats the petite puppy kind and Harley eats the active adult kind. Is Eukanuba good food? If not please give me some suggestions. I feel like this is something I should have researched already . Please don't be too harsh
    Last edited by My Peanuts; 11-03-2003 at 03:37 PM.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

You obviously know pettalk too well, Dont be too harsh? Harsh about what? As far as i know eukanuba is a good dog food, Cami has been eating beniful.. (SP) Cami likes it, its a change for her.. If you doubt it just do some research on it.. and that will help you out alot!

I know that I am very critical when it comes to dog foods, so you may not want to listen to me lol. I don't like Eukenuba (Iams) because they are owned by a company that tests on animals (ironic, eh?). There is a rumor going around that they stopped, but it isn't true. Undercover agents have noticed only minimal changes. I also don't like them because I believe that all of their food contains corn, by-products, chemical preservatives and artificials.

Some foods I know that I like are: Wellness, Canidae, Innova and Pro Plan (not Purina Pro Plan). However these foods are pretty expensive..
    I've been BOO'd!

I think Eukanuba dog food is good food-I am a natural freak myself and always read the labels. It's important that the first ingredient be a meat of some-sort. That means it is mostly made up of meat. The ingredients have to be put in order of the largest portion to the least. So the first few ingredients make up the majority of what's in the food.
    I have tried several-my dog is very picky- he seemed to like Nutro best and he was on Nutro Natural Large Breed formula, which includes glucosamine for his joints-but lately he is not eating it sometimes. I recently found a new dog food -which the first three ingredients are Chicken, Turkey and chicken meal. It is called "Chicken Soup For The Dog Lovers' Soul" I really liked what it had in it and tried mixing it with his current food and he actually devoured it! So I am weeding him off Nutro onto this and he is eating good again.
    You can do a comparison of dog foods by checking labels-and if you are unsure what something is - look it up or ask someone more familiar with it. then make a decision based on your dog-(his size, energy level, and coat) and then you could always switch -but do it slowly by mixing them together, and using less and less of the one you are taking away. This will prevent diarrah.
    And you could also ask your vet-but usually they have a brand that is willing to sell to them cheap-if they will recommend it-so that is not always the "best" food for your dog.

I looked at the ingredients online and Corn Meal is the third ingredient on the list, Iams tests on animals.. so I wouldn't feed it to mine.

Some have told me to stay away from products with corn in the first few (main ingredients) on the list.

With Beneful, it's one of the first on the list.

We're almost done with our bag of Beneful and we will be switching.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr

Some have told me to stay away from products with corn in the first few (main ingredients) on the list.
    Yes, corn is something to stay away from. I know that one Eukenuba product has corn as the second ingredient. But the other has corn divided into two categories (like groud corn, and corn grits) which is just a way to make the corn quantity look smaller, but really it's the same stuff.
    I've been BOO'd!

I couldn't afford the expensive stuff for Sam, so she gets Pedigree - dry and canned. She seems to like it well enough - always finishes her bowl up without even coming up for air!!

I noticed you said you didn't like Purina Pro plan.... Is it an ok food?

Are there any cheap "good" foods that you'd recommend?
    Ones that you could find at the grocery store, peferrably.

*EDIT!*-- I didn't mean you didn't like the food, just that you said (not Purina)
    Last edited by Kfamr; 11-03-2003 at 03:57 PM.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    I know that I am very critical when it comes to dog foods, so you may not want to listen to me lol. I don't like Eukenuba (Iams) because they are owned by a company that tests on animals (ironic, eh?). There is a rumor going around that they stopped, but it isn't true. Undercover agents have noticed only minimal changes. I also don't like them because I believe that all of their food contains corn, by-products, chemical preservatives and artificials.

Some foods I know that I like are: Wellness, Canidae, Innova and Pro Plan (not Purina Pro Plan). However these foods are pretty expensive..
    I agree.

Nutro Max is an excellent brand that compares in price to Eukanuba and is much higher quality.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

One of my friends has done a pretty good analysis of many dog and cat foods. And she will add to the list if you ask her to. You can see it at www.greatgoldens.com .

Good luck! We are using IAMS food right now because we had so much success with it before when Lilly and Honey needed to lose weight. We're feeding the blue bag, and yes, it has corn in it, but so far, so good. I would not have a problem feeding Eukanuba either. And when the budget allows, if you want to upgrade to a more natural dog food, you can. Actually, for what you're paying for Eukanuba, which is more expensive than Iams, you can probably get a pretty good food!

Logan

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sylvia is out of her puppy food and I'm going to get her some after work. I think I'm going to buy a small bag of the Eukanuba so I can mix it with some Nutro Max until she is just on the Nutro Max. I had no idea Iams tested on animals and it sickens me! I'm going to wean Syl and Har starting today. Can I buy Nutro Max at most pet supply stores, specifically Pet supplies Plus?

Bottom line on dog food, is how does your dog do on it? Do they like it? Do they have healthy, shiny coats? Etc etc

Eukanuba is not the best food our there, but it is not the worst either. Personally, I feed my dogs California Natural, (recently changing over from sensible Choice, which is also a very good food) which is made with human grade food. That doesn't mean it is the best food for every dog.

I have posted this before, but I thinkit is worth posting again.

There is a free publication on the webThe Whole Dog Journal, which in Feb. 2003 rated dog foods and chose these to be the "Top dry foods" ( alphabetical order)

Atremis "Natural 6 Mix"
    Azmira's "Classic"
    Back to Basics "Chicken"
    Bench and Field "Holistic Canine Formula"
    Burns "Brown Rice & Ocean Fish"
    Canidae
    Drs Foster & Smith "Adulat Maintenance, Chicken and Brown Rice"
    Eagle Pack Holsitic Select
    Flint River Ranch "Dry Water LC"
    Go! Natural "Super Premium Chicken, Fruit & Vegetable"
    Lifespan
    Limited Diets "Duck and potato"
    Natura Pet Prodcuts " California Natual, Innova"
    Natural Balance "Ultra Premium"
    Pinnacle
    Prairie "Lamb and Rice Medley"
    Prime Life
    PHD Canine Growth and Maintenance
    Royal Canin " Nautral Blend Adult Formula"
    Showbound Naturals
    Solid gold "Hund-n-Flocken, Millennia"
    Timberwolf Organics
    Verus "Gp Advantage Diet"
    Wellness "Super 5 Mix-Lamb"
    Wysong "Maintenance"
    Last edited by Cincy'sMom; 11-03-2003 at 07:33 PM.

thanks Cincysmom, I'm going to print that list and take it with me to the pet supply store

Originally posted by Kfamr

Are there any cheap "good" foods that you'd recommend?
    Ones that you could find at the grocery store, peferrably.
    Nutro Dental Care isn't bad. It has some chemical preservatives, but they aren't exceptionally harmful like ethoxiquin or BHA/BHT. It's about $10 for a small bag, but the kibble seems to run out quickly because the kibble bits are pretty big.
    I've been BOO'd!

Sorry, I don't buy any dog foods at the grocery store, so I can't recommend one.
    wolfsoul, take a look at the ingredients in this dog food and let me know what you think-it's new on the market and I found it at a holistic animal pet shop. You seem to have a deeper knowledge than most of us. I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something-it all sounded good to me. http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover....html#AdultDog