Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses are not dinner!

Horses are not dinner!

I love horses. I love the feeling that I get when I ride them. I love everything about them. But one thing I do not like is horse slaughter. I found this place out near my house that buys perfectly good horses and shoots them in the head so that they can eat them!!! It is so sad! I hear gun shots all of the time from down there. It just makes me so mad!!!!! I told the police, but they don't believe me. I told them to let me get some letters from the Pet people on the net. They said ok, and that if I got a good enough reply they would go camp near their house and watch. So guys, please reply to this. For the horses? Please?

This is actually a really common thing. In France, horses are prized for their meat.

I am obsessed with horses, and it upsets me a lot to think about the slaughtering proccess for horses, but there really is not much I can do, so I tend to block it out of my head and not think about it. If I had the power to change it, I would, but I don't.

It is their culture, there is not much you can do about it. Sorta like Koreans eating cats and dogs...
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

What???

This is common practice and the police let it happen?

How horrible.

It is legal to eat horse meat, but I don't know if it's legal to slaughter them without a permit.

Just be thankful that these people actually let them die quickly -- the slaughter houses around here (for cattle) hang them and slice them open while they are still alive.
    I've been BOO'd!

That is horrible wolfsoul. I love horses, and I wish I still had a horse. This sounds terrible, and I can't believe that it is common. I have never heard about this. Good Luck

Are you sure they are eating them? If they are killing them to eat, it would seem that not many would be killed ... I mean, it would take a long time for a family to consume an animal that large.

Most slaughterhouses kill horses for rendering plants, which make other types of animal food from them.

It is sad, but I agree with wolfsoul, at least it's relatively quick and painless. There are much worse ways to die.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Originally posted by Twisterdog
    Most slaughterhouses kill horses for rendering plants, which make other types of animal food from them.
    Do they make glue from horses, or is that just a myth? Maybe I'm just imagining things again.

I love sheep. People eat sheep all the time.

I ADORE snakes. There are places where snakes are eaten regularly.

I like rabbits. I have also slaughtered and eaten them with my 4-H club.

People are always going to eat animals that other people like.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by zanzanfergie
    Do they make glue from horses, or is that just a myth? Maybe I'm just imagining things again.
    Yup, they use their hooves to make glue.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Ick...and to think in kindergarten some kids used to eat Clag. Yuk.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Not all glue is made from horse hooves. Jello is made from horse hooves too!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I love sheep A LOT!!! I don't like to think about them being slaughtered. It makes me upset. I used to have an older sheep for 4-H and I have a baby for 4-H now. I love and loved them both more than anyone could imagine. So, WolfChan, could you please not mention sheep anymore. I am not trying to be rude, it just makes me upset.

I am adding a picture of the lamb that I have now. Her name is Fleece. I hope that yall enjoy her.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    Not all glue is made from horse hooves. Jello is made from horse hooves too!
    Good thing I hate jello lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

Originally posted by WolfChan
    I love sheep. People eat sheep all the time.

I ADORE snakes. There are places where snakes are eaten regularly.

I like rabbits. I have also slaughtered and eaten them with my 4-H club.

People are always going to eat animals that other people like.
    Yes but it's not mainstream to eat horse. We have cattle, sheep, goat that are BRED for food consumption. Eating horses is fairly new and to me, there are already enough animals raised as food, why do they have to add another? Especially one that is raised for PETS, not food. We have our beef, but no, that's never enough for humans. I don't eat sheep, or cow, or goat..well I have eaten goat before and it tastes so good lol. But I like chickens and I eat them. I like turkeys, kinda, and I eat those too. I think her initial reaction is that these animals were always bred as pets, not food. Cattle has always been bred for food, as long as I can remember people have ate it.

And yes I eat meat, and I love it and no there is no difference except the fact that they are taking an animal that has always been used for the pet industry and now turning it into meat when we already have enough meat here, and enough bad cholestoral and heart disease to add yet another animal for food. What are they going to use next? Our alpacas and llamas as food too?

Maybe I am wrong and horses have been eaten here in the states for AGES.........I know they use horses for pet food though. I do think they are having a less painful death that other animals sold as food. But why are they dying quicker and less painful? Because they are horses? Shouldn't all our meat be treated equally?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I don't think horses have been eaten in North America for a very long time. They were once too useful too eat. Us lazy North Americans needed them to work for us.

But in some places they have been eaten for a long long time.
    I've been BOO'd!