35 48.61%
  • Underweight

3 4.17%
  • Don't know

2 2.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overweight?!

Overweight?!

I was talking to (a-not-so-nice ) friend. He told me that all pet people are overweight! Grrr that got me mad. That's like telling me I'm fat. Even though I'm unhealthy and not very fit (sorry PT diet buddies! I'm trying!), I don't think I'm fat, and I don't think that all pet people are either. That just got on my nerves. It's a terrible generalization and it has to be wrong.

Sorry for the vent.
    I've been BOO'd!

How rude!
    Was this person by chance, an animal hater?
    I don't think I'm overweight...my mom thinks I'm to skinny.

That is such a silly generalisation. In the many years I have been a pet owner I have been badly underweight, overweight, and every weight in between! Owning a pet has nothing to do with it!

average, not long ago I was at the docter and he was going on and on about how lots of peope are over weight and dont worry about being fat etc.. he then weighed me and I was just perfect! that'll show him a thing or two about not judging people on apparence!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I'm pretty sure I'm overweight lol. BUT, I was long before we got Kai. If anything, I lost some weight because I have to keep him healthy.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I've been heavy all my life, so, when I didn't own pets, I was fat too! lol I just joined Weight Watchers yesterday and plan on losing between 100-110 pounds. Wish me luck! When I reach goal I'll send a picture to your "friend" lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I'm not really sure.
    I guess I'm heavy when I weigh myself, but then in appearance I'm just a bit chubby.

I have fought most of my adult life trying to gain weight. At the moment I have put on 29 pounds - thanks to my predisone medication People can be very insulting when you are thin like "ckicken legs, don't let the wind blow you over etc." They don't say it to be meam I don't think.

This generalization is ridiculous. I don't even see how your friend could have come up with that. Maybe he was just trying to annoy you. Anyone can be a pet person - old, young, underweight, overweight, you name it.

Originally posted by Foam
    I'm not really sure.
    I guess I'm heavy when I weigh myself, but then in appearance I'm just a bit chubby.
    YOU ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen your pictures!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

if you think about it in theory pet people should be healthier, because they walk their dogs or ride thier horses or whatever. i'm just normal but i'm really in to sports too so i don't know.
    but you're right that was really rude to say that to you

Originally posted by aly
    This generalization is ridiculous. I don't even see how your friend could have come up with that. Maybe he was just trying to annoy you.
    You're probably right...he's always trying to get on my nerves. He hates my rats and tells me they're discusting. I don't care if he thinks they are discusting but he doesn't need to speak his mind constantly; he should have a little tact and consideration for other people's feelings.
    I've been BOO'd!

if you think about it in theory pet people should be healthier, because they walk their dogs or ride thier horses or whatever.
    I agree. I always see people jogging with dogs and whatnot. Right now, thanks to the Atkins diet I'm just about right. I'd been 30-40 lbs heavier most of the time.

Good luck Musgy.

What a stupid comment. lol it doesn't even make sense! If anything Mickey is helping me get skinnier. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't for for so many walks or play out back with him. We play soccer, frsibee and all sorts of running games. I honestly think Mickey is helping my weight.

I think I am overweight but not *terribly*. I gotta lose weight for prom though!

And Foam - don't make me laugh!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

That's a stupid generalization! Heck yeah, I'm fat...I'd be the first to admit that. But it has nothing to do with my pets....Jeez, everybody in my family is like that, big, even the ones that don't have pets.

I would definitely say I have gotten healthier since I have gotten my dogs. I have to walk them between 4 and 6 times a day. And it's not just out in the backyard, cause we live in the city, in an apartment. Also, since they are both pullers , my upper arm muscles get a really good workout. Especially when they are going for something someone dropped on the sidewalk. And then there are those times when Bailey doesn't want to get off the couch to go to bed in her crate, so I pick her up and carry her...and she's 51 pounds of solid muscle.

Actually, I've probably lost about 20 pounds since I've gotten the dogs, my diabetes is great (cause of the exercise, makes my blood sugar go down), and my blood pressure is fine cause as we all know, petting a pet makes you stress less.

So, therefore, your friend doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. He's just trying to irritate you, in my opinion. **HUG** Don't let him get to you.

R.B. - Bailey (pit bull/lab mix) (08/?/2002 to 02/02/2005) and Guinness (chow/sheperd mix)

Tell your 'friend' that he really should be making generalization like that.

That is just rude, and there is really no excuse for saying something like that.
    Bob & Joey,
    and their happy and willing slave, Bryan.

Many Thanks to Kay for the Picture.

My motto - "Bad Spellers of the World, UNTIE!!!!"