Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: So You'd Like To Become A Vegetarian?

So You'd Like To Become A Vegetarian?

I can help! I've tried most of the vegetarian diets, from lacto-ovo to vegan, and would be glad to share details.

Honestly, you will not be risking your health. Meat is not required to have a healthy diet and get the modest amount of protein and B vitamins your body needs.

Many benefits are claimed for eliminating meat from your diet, not the least of which is the good feeling of knowing that you are not contributing to killing other creatures.

I have hesitated to start any threads because I am new here, hope you don't mind...
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-05-2003 at 05:14 PM.

I don't mind at all. There are actually quite a few vegetarians on this board, so you have company. I am not a vegetarian, but have considered it. I joined Weight Watchers yesterday and am very pleased with the options, so I may consider it again. I would appreicate any good info you could share.

By the way....welcome to the board!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Just 'cause your a newbie doesnt mean you cant post any new threads! Are you crazy!? I would also like to hear some info you can share..

Get to posting those new threads!

-Amber

Hi, and welcome. I am a fellow vegetarian, but i live off a snack food diet, lol. And be sure to start as many threads as you want, that's how you get past your newbie, status. *Wistfully recalls her earliest posts* lol.
    Last edited by magcpen; 11-02-2003 at 02:41 PM.

Bart and Wiggum:
    In the Spotlight

Originally posted by magcpen
    I am a fellow vegetarian, but i live off a snack food diet, lol.
    wow it's wierd how much we are alike...sorta scary

Thanks for the encouragement. One thing you can look forward to Mugsy, once you decide to not put the meat on your plate, you will lose about 10 pounds! Even though a large part of the protein in there is unneeded, and not digested, those three servings of meat a day most Americans eat account for a large part of the fat we eat (both in the meat and the way it is cooked).

I read a letter to Dear Abby once where a young girl had decided to become a vegetarian. She just "couldn't stand the thought of eating meat anymore." Her question to the advice columnist was "what can I do...I really don"t like vegetables..."
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-05-2003 at 05:13 PM.

I don't want to be a vegetarian........mainly because it doesn't fit my lifestyle, and I could never live without my chicken. Take the sheep, goat, beef, fish, etc. away from me any day, but I really can't go on without chicken! He he he

But I'd love to hear what you have to say. I think its perfectly fine healhwise to eat meat, if its eaten moderately, and not too often..........and its not in my household. So many days a week we eat just vegetarian, and when we eat meat, its usually fish or chicken. Occasionally we'll eat red meat, but to be honest...........I'm really not *so* fond of it. I mean, I like it, but its not my favorite.

::raises hand::

I've been talking to Veegan and Kater on here about going Vegertarian for about 2 months maybe more. I want to so bad. I only eat meat now about 1 or 2 times a week, where I used to eat it atleast every day. So I'm very proud, I'm slowly going Vegertarian, I'm very pleased with myself to

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Dear A & M- I have a book on my lap called "The Gradual Vegetarian" by Lisa Tracy, Dell Publishing, 1985. It has hundreds of recipes, many of which taste like meat dishes.

There are also some mushrooms which taste just like steak.

I personally see nothing wrong with a "mostly" vegetarian diet. In chinese cooking, one american meat portion suffices for a whole dish, because they cut the chicken, pork or beef into chopstick-size pieces.

Incidently, my wife loves chicken like popcornbird. Something is missing on Sunday if she doesn't get her fried chicken........something from childhood?

Also- if anyone wants to get into objections to vegetarianism here, please feel free to do so! I love to debate.

[i]Also- if anyone wants to get into objections to vegetarianism here, please feel free to do so! I love to debate. [/B]
    I know you are new here but I just thought I would mention that we've had many threads on this before and believe me, some of the debates can get pretty "hot". I do appreciate hearing everybody else's perspective, but this is a plea to PT'ers. If you want to debate this issue again, be considerate of other people's feelings. And that's all I got to say about that.

except....I'm a meat-eater and always will be.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Well, we just got back from the store and Mike was wonderful about being willing to do this diet thing. He agreed to try yogurt and he even bought BOCA burgers!! lol That is an amazing step. He detests veggies! hehehe I thought you might like that.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Slick- thanks for the heads-up. I would never try to change anyone, try to make them become a vegetarian. When I first stopped eating meat, it was because I felt that it was the right decision, for me.

After you break with a cultural norm, like eating meat, it is easy to rationalize your position, think that others are wrong. For example, ex-smokers being such butts to smokers. But I am not like that.

And there is that bothersome detail, humans having canine teeth..
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-02-2003 at 07:12 PM.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a hypocrite when it comes to this. I hate the fact that I do contribute to killing the animals. I've often considered being a vegetarian but have no idea where to start. So, any help would be great.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

i think the best ay to start being a vegetarian is not to stop cold turkey [no pun intended], but to choose a vegetarian meal over a meaty meal. like ata restuant just it doesn't have to be a vegetable. it can be pizza or a baked potato something other than steak or fried chicken. you know?i don't know if i wrote that right. i'm not very good at writing

How to start? Just try to make as many meals as you can without meat. If others in your family are used to meat, fix it, but have other protein dishes for you to eat instead. Anything with beans, eggs, cheese or fish will substitute for meat.
    Last edited by mahayana; 11-05-2003 at 05:11 PM.