Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Calico or Tortoise shell

Calico or Tortoise shell

What's the difference between a calico and a tortoise shell cat?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 11-15-2003 at 03:48 PM.

HEY I THINK I KNOW WHAT A TORTOISE SHELL IS. tHATS WHEN THEN THE CAT HAS 3 COLORS ON THEM. i DONT KNOW ABOUT THE CALICO PART THOUGH

HI
    A tortiose shell has black and red. The colors are touching, often in striped patterns.

A calico is black, red and white. The red and black are made up of patches on a white backgroud.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Tortoiseshell kitties, traditionally have NO white on them, just a combo of black and gold or red. Calicoes are red or gold/brown with black and white splotches, stripes or other myriad markings. Even though my Mitzi is mostly tortie, her white bib, paws and tummy throw her into the calico category. Mitzi's getting the cutest white "feathers" around her ruff. At first I thought it was matts and brushed her down real good - it's not matts, just longer white hairs around her neck - it's SO cute!

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Thanks so much. I always thought my kitty Lucky was a calico. I sent a picture to a friend in NM and my friend said she was a tortoise shell and I was so confused.

I'm trying to include a picture with Lucky & my son. Cross your fingers, let's see if it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

She is a beautiful Calico kitty (Just like my Milly girl in my signature)

Thanks! The picture of Milly looks very similar to Lucky. Does the coloring on her face split down the center?

Tortie Calico, or maybe patched with white

I was looking at your beautiful girl, I was wondering if she is a patched tabby with white. The way you can tell is by her eyes. And I could not see her eyes. Here is my patched tabby with white. My understanding is that a calico and Tortie are solids not tabby. Tabby always has the M on the head. And around the eye has a different color like an eye shodow. At least that what breeders have told me. But does it really matter if it is a tortie or a calico, we love them for what they are. Our masters and we are the slaves. You have a beautiful cat and she is a good size, is she a purbreed cat? She looks like it! I would love to see what color her eyes are. If I can find my tortie will post her picture. If you would like.

Stella

calico, tortie, or tabby

Catboy, Jen, Redd & Payitforward thanks for your comments! I'm so happy I found petoftheday.com

RP Cathouse, I'd love to see your tortie if you find the picture. Thanks for the kitty compliments. I'll take another picture when my camera is available next week. Eyes open this time.

Lucky was a feral kitten and her mother and sisters & brothers were all different looking. When the kittens were old enough, my neighbor trapped the mama and the kittens and she found homes for them. Lucky was really scared at first and didn't want us to touch her. But I just held her and pet her and talked to her for hours.

Juli

Here is the tortie.

This is Angel a tortie with white. If you notice there are no stripes or the tabby M on her head. She has a very loud purr. And she loves to cuddle, but she does have a tortie-tude.

Found her daughter

This is Chinni as a kitten she is a tortie also with a very big tortie-tude, I think it something to do with the red in the torties. Chinni is my baby and such a love. A tortie is the result of breeding 2 cats that carry the solid gene. The breeding that gave me Chinni the Mom was Angel a tortie and dad was a brown Classic Tabby with white and he carries the solid gene. Some times colors and patterns can be very confussing. But I just looked at your girl and I still think she is wonderful.
    Stella

Here's a picture of Lucky with her eyes open (grudgingly). She had a very late night last night & I woke her up for the picture. Seems only fair since she woke me up at 3:00 a.m.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!

Mitzi

and one of my favorite pictures of her:

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Mitzi is such a pretty girl. Thanks for sharing.
    Juli

Lucky is a tortie

Lucky is a tortie with white and looking at her face, with her eyes open a very pretty one at that. She is very Lucky to have a mom like you.

Stella