Thread: breeding

breeding

I am trying to find out how long after dogs mate, that I can get the female checked to see how many puppies she is going to have. Everyone has a different answer. My female had alot of trouble last time and I don't want her to have to go through that again. Than she lost her baby 4 hours later. Please help her and ME.

Hi Donna, I don't know anything about that but I'm sure someone will catch up on this post and give you some information. If she has trouble during pregnancy have you thought of having her neutered? Perhaps that would be the best solution, I hope she is doing well right now. Welcome and glad you joined good luck with your furbaby.
    Jackie

Hi Donna,
    Jackie is right: if she's already had a problem pregnancy, why not save her health and get her spayed?? At the very least, if you're concerned for her well-being you should speak to a vet (or more than one vet) as soon as you can about your questions. Medical advice is the best advice.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

If she's already been mated, I would ask a vet to check her in any case. When was she mated? What kind of dog is she? How old is she? Has she only had one pregnancy before? Is she a pedigreed dog? If so, did her mother have any problems? You should be able to contact her breeder if this is a pedigreed dog.

But most of all, of course, take her to the vet to get her checked out.
    I've Been Frosted

how do I get my dogs picture on here?

First, the picture needs to be on the web somewhere already - lots of people use Webshots, but you may have a seerver you use. Than find the URL of the picture - should look something like http://PetoftheDay. com/archive/2001/SeptemberImages/27s.jpg - I put a space in there so you'd see that it starts with http:// and ends with a .jpg .

Now type in [img] then paste your picture's URL and then tupe [/img] but don't have any spaces, and the image should show up just fine!
    I've Been Frosted

well is it her first time breeding? how old is she? If it is her first time sometimes that could happen.Maybe you should help her feeding the puppies, if you go to pet shop they might sell puppy food and a bottle. She might not have enough milk in her body.
    Harry Park

From what you say, the bitch had one pup last time?

If this is right then it is very unlikely that the present pregnancy will be any better.

Bitches are designed for a multiple birth. The pups inside her give the hormones to the bloodstream of the dam that initiate whelping. So, no puppies, no whelp.
    With one pup it is highly unlikely that enough hormone is released to get things going.
    Another problem with only one pup is that it tends to grow too big to birth normally even if the hormone load is good.
    The next thing to think about is why there was just one pup?
    Even as a first time bitch this is not normal and perhaps you should do the decent thing and opt for speying rather than further pregnancies.

Donna, Hi, welcome to Pet Talk !
    A question please ? Do you mean the dog
    lost one pup from a litter of pups, or had
    only one pup and it didn't live ?
    You should check with a vet to help the
    Momma dog.. Good Luck to you.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The vet should be able to determine a general idea of how many pups by around 28 days (out of 62-63). You should then talk with him/her about a possible caesarian section and spaying at the same time. I suspect this is a small breed -- toy or small terrier? If she is having difficulties with pregnancy/birthing, you really should stop breeding her and have her spayed. It would be much better for her health. If she is only having one pup at a time and has difficulty with that, you may be endangering her with more breedings. Pregnancy is hard on a bitch and then losing a pup is even harder as she then has nothing to nurse the milk out and restore her hormonal balance. Please take her to the vet for a general check-up soon and then again as directed. Good luck with the whelping. Let us know what the vet says.
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials