Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am placed in a difficult position

I am placed in a difficult position

My neighbors have a dog. She's an English Pointer (I believe). She is all skin and bones. You can count every rib. She has an indentation right above her tail because she's so sunken in. I'm afraid she will not survive the winter. She has absolutely no muscle mass. I had said something to the wife about the dog looking sick. It's her husband's dog. She doesn't like dogs at all. She said, I don't know much about dogs and turned around and walked away. (I forgot to mention that they keep the dog outside.) Now, the only reason I go up there is because they have a daughter the same age as mine and they like to play together. I want to turn them in so bad but since I am the only animal lover in our small town, I know they will know it's me. There are three houses on my street. They will undoubtedly know it's me. These people are the kind of people that will seek revenge and be destructive to at least my property, maybe us personally. The closest police office is 45 minutes away, so I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Stenograsaurus ]
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

Wow, the answer was clear when I first started reading your post. But then I changed my mind when I heard the kind of people they are.

Ok, no one think bad of me for this, but I would find a partner in crime and take the dog myself. I DON'T condone stealing other peoples' animals UNLESS the animal is abused and/or neglected. It probably wouldn't be good to be sneaking around in their backyard, but if somehow you came across the dog on the street, off their property, well I would just take him! And then let a friend keep him at their house while you maybe find a rescue group or something. The reason I suggest not keeping him at your house is 1) The neighbors will suspect and might come look, and 2) It would put your daughter in a bad position since she's friends with their daughter.

This is a very hard situation and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. Let us know.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

If you think it would help, I would be willing to call whomever you think should be called. I could do it, say I am familiar with the situation and it really concerns me - could they look into it. I could honestly say that a friend told me about the situation, that no, I don't live nearby but from what I've heard at least the animal welfare people should pay a visit. I am concerned, and would like to help if I could. If I were living nearby, I would be tempted to "steal" her, or if my family was with me, I'd go talk to the dog while my Dad, who is big and can be scary looking when you don't know him, talked to the owner, with all intentions of leaving with the dog no matter what transpired. Do you have anyone who could help you in such a manner who is closer geographically?
    I've Been Frosted

The Head Bunnie *hops* onto center field and gathers her troops into the huddle...

Mumble, mumble, murmur, plot, plot, gesture...

And the Plan is planned...

Go Gett'um, Pet Talkers! Look OUT , nawtee neighbor!
    /s/ Phred, the "Dad" to Cinder & Smokey

the Rescued & Adopted FurKids of *Phred*

BosMom and I are in MD several others are in PA and I'm ready to rummmmmmble Just say the word. I have some biker type friends around and although they look (and can be scary :rolleyes they love animals too.
    laurie

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: lbaker ]

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: lbaker ]
    ~ at least I'm not...

Steno,
    I think Karen's idea is an excellent one !
    But if I were Karen, I wouldn't 'volenteer'
    the fact that I didn't live nearby...just
    the fact that I knew the situation to be
    real & considered it to be serious...
    Think we had a thread along these same lines awhile ago,and I still say a case of
    obvious neglect should be considered a
    "rescue case" not "stealing property"...
    I could not look away when I saw any animal being treated that way !!!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I WOULD say that I don't live nearby, just that I have seen the dog when I was driving by on the way to xxxx. That way they couldn't accuse anyone on their street, and also, most police-type places, and in fact many businesses, too, have caller-ID, and I wouldn't want my credibility harmed by them seeing an out-of-state area code, and so dismissing the complaint.

Stenograsaurus, do let me know, email me if you want, if I can help. If I do call someone, you'd have to help with a couple little fibs - is the dog visible from the street at all? And is your street on the way to anywhere?
    I've Been Frosted

You guys have my mind racing about Shadow, the little Yorkshire Terrier that lives behind me. She is still escaping, and I told the owner today, after she had spent 6 hours in my house that I could not stand it if I found her run over in the street. I literally begged him to please let his daughter take her. The daughter is home all day, and has asked for her. But instead, they insist on putting her out on their deck, all day, and evening, every day. And she ends up here. Thank goodness I work at home, but I can't take her permanently. She terrorizes my cats, and they come first. Whenever she is in the house (which is about 4 times per week), Mimi and Butter either have to be shut up in a room, or left outdoors until she leaves.

Don't you wish people would be more responsible? I hope you get it worked out, with this pointer. At least I know Shadow is fed, but she needs friendship and socialization. A deck is no place to keep a little lap dog like that.

OMG Logan, that little dog is STILL being
    kept outside? Does she still bark a lot, or
    has she accepted her lot in life ?
    Perhaps I just expect too many 'silver
    linings' ...I'm so sorry to hear that news..

Karen, Good point about the caller-id !!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Have you asked the husband about the dog? Maybe if you offered to help them find a new home for the dog or if you offered to bring him to a shelter for them they would agree to that. Does your daughter have any insight on the family's feelings toward the dog? Sounds like if anything happens to the dog they'll know it's you and I wouldn't want them to steal one of your pets to get you back. If the helpful polite approach doesn't work, I would inform them that you will call the humane society or someone to come check the situation if you don't see a change. At least if you do everything legally you will always be able to retaliate legally.

If the dog is in view of strangers who happen to travel the street, I'd go the anonymous route, they sound like scary neighbors! Good luck.

Thanks, everybody, for the support. The dog is not visible from the street. She's behind a huge garage so you can't see her from the main street. When you travel down my little side street, the view is blocked by the pool. The only people who know she's there knows the family. My daughter is only four so she's never there without me. When I was up there the other day, I was feeding her my daughter's snack and their daughter told me not to feed her because she wouldn't eat that. I told her that this dog will eat anything you eat except chocolate. I'm hoping the girl sneaks stuff to her. The husband is very irresponsible. I drove by the other day and the wife was up on the roof putting up lights and he was standing in the front yard watching her. She does all the work!!! I'm afraid I could talk to him until I'm blue in the face but he just wouldn't get it. His mentality level just isn't high enough to understand. Neither is hers. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to call and report this abuse. I'm going to rely on my faith that God will protect my family if I help this dog. I could not live with myself if she died. I'll just pray that my dogs will never run up there if they get loose.

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

If you want, I'll still call anonymously for you, and skip how I "know" about the dog. Just let me know if you need help.
    I've Been Frosted

Good luck! That dog is sooo lucky you saw him. I hope it all works out.

I agree with Aly- take the dog and find a good home for it! There is no way they will know for sure it was you, especially if you one day say "hey, where is your dog?"
    About reporting them, I just think they will figure it out. Then what happens to the dog? What guarentee is there that the dog will find another good home? What if they are just contacted and told to stop neglecting/abusing their dog? I have heard that usually with a first offense, all that happens is a talking to, and then after that, there is no way you can take the dog, because they will know it's you.
    And just because they are contacted, it does not mean they will change.

Go for it!
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

I would take the dog if I thought I could get away with it. I'd have to take her during the night and take her to the Vet's the next day. The Vet's Office would try to find a home for her. They told me if I find an animal, bring it to them, not the Humane Society. Unfortunately, my four year old would have to see the dog and she's not good at keeping secrets. What four year old is? She would eventually let it slip that we took their dog and then all heck would break loose.