Thread: Having some challenging pack leader problems

Having some challenging pack leader problems

We haven't been on in so long, but today we're having an issue with aggressive behaviour. He's not aggressive in a bad way but in a way that he gets so over excited that he starts to growl and mouth alot He's been a rough puppy from the time we brought him home which was no big deal however when you stick some stubborness in there it can be a real battle somedays. I must remind you that taylor is and 85 lb. lab, 11/2 years old. He's very active and I think he just needs to be reminded that he's not the pack leader. When Taylor was about 6mos old his dad and I split up and it was a really rough time for me and I think I became very dependant on taylor for emotional support which is when I think he felt he became pack leader and new how to play off of my emotions. I know it was a mistake of mine to be so easy and free with him but it's time to correct it. He's a very smart lab, is a matter of fact our vet has said that she can tell he's very smart and so smart he can be very mischevious. She said she can tell to look at him that his little brain is always working and that he takes everything in. She says he's the kind of dog that needs to be busy all the time or else his evil side takes over.

We've been through two levels of obedience and he passed with flying colors and I don't have a problem with him in that area except when he decides to challenge my commands. Long story short I would rather spend money on agility classes something that he likes rather than more obedience specializes aggressiveness b/c he really isn't aggressive. Sorry this became so long but any advice out there
    "You can be the poorest person in the world but having a dog makes you rich beyond belief!"

First thing to say is that you have done nothing wrong! You do not have a major problem and it is very easy to re-establish yourself as the alpha here.
    If our relationships with our dogs do not have an emotional element to them then we have to question why they exist in the modern world.
    To rely on your dog as emotional support during a very difficult time in your life - and let's not forget - the dog's life would be ten thousand times more worrying if it had not happened!
    What is exceptional is not the fact you leaned on the dog or the fact that the dog responded to your emotional needs but the fact that you can understand when and where and how the balance of your relationship with the dog changed!
    If you know the problems, as you clearly do, you are two thirds of the way to solving them.

There are very simple steps you can take to regain the respect of Taylor. The first thing I would suggest is to use the ignoring method when you enter a room where the dog is, the second is to use the feeding method I use (if you do not know what I am talking about then please say so and I will describe, in detail, the methods I am suggesting).

Please let me know if you are not aware of my methods and I can explain them - things will be fine, don't worry.

Thanks Carrie for the encouragement. Not quite sure what you mean by the feeding method. I kind of have and idea, which is to make sure he knows that I am the provider of the food. He has specific feeding times, am I on the right trackconfused:

The other problem is that he challenges my commands sometimes and is sassy by barking at me. Anymore tips would be greatly appreciated
    Rebecca
    "You can be the poorest person in the world but having a dog makes you rich beyond belief!"