Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lilly.....problems, but not like Killian

Lilly.....problems, but not like Killian

Lilly and I visited our vet this morning due to bad skin irritation on the inside of both of her rear legs. I have yet to catch her chewing, but she must have been because she is almost hairless. She gets a daily brushing, but I rarely force her to "flip" over and let me do her belly. When I did, I got a real surprise. Scabs, red bumps, etc. Obviously she was very uncomfortable and never told me!

The worst part of our visit was the scale. When Lilly was diagnosed with hip dysplasia in December 2000, she weighed in at 82 pounds. Dr. Robinson said that I should not let her gain above that weight. At that point, I cut back food for Honey and Lilly dramatically. Honey had still gained 17 pounds in one year when she went in for her annual visit in April. But the shocker was today. Lilly weighed 96 pounds! That's a 14 pound gain in six months. Dr. Robinson reassured me that this was probably not a food related weight gain, and did draw blood to check her thyroid levels. We will know the results on Friday. This weight gain is a bad, bad thing for Lilly and her hips. I'm just praying that he can figure out the cause, and we can get her on track with medication to take the pressure off of the hips, and help her to be more healthy.

They are both my angels, and you know that Honey is Helen's dog. Lilly is my special girl, and I want her around for a long, long time. I knew you wouldn't mind listening to my motherly worries! But I don't want to take away from the more serious problems that Killian and others are facing. Sue, I'm saying regular prayers that Killian will get past his problems soon. In fact, we have started a prayer list by the computer, so we won't forget anyone!

Thanks for hearing me out, guys.

Logan

always ready to listen! no problem too small. did the vet say what was up with the skin rash? could it be just the heat? Sounds like Lilly's gonna get belly rubs! even if a cream is involved any belly rub is a good belly rub according to bug.

how are you gonna drop the extra weight from lilly?! (I'd like to loose a few pounds myself!!)

-bugmom

Logan, I hope the Vet finds nothing serious with Lilly. I know how worried you must be.
    Perry had that kind of thing on his back legs, he was biting them all the time, so we took him to the Vet and he had scabs and lost a lot of his hair on his legs, the Vet gave us some type of cream to put on which cleared it up, I thought he said he was allergic to flea bites, although we didn't see any fleas on him. But it did clear up and the hair grew back. I can't imagine why Lilly gained so much weight, it could be a thyroid problem, I'm sure they have medicine for that. I'll be thinking about her until we hear good news that she will be o.k.
    A big hug from Daisy and Perry and me for Lilly.

------------------

Logan,

I hope Lily is OK I know it is scary. My yellow lab, Beener, had the same issues with his weight gain and scabs. There was also quite a strong odor on him. After a few dumb vets misdiagonsed him, a good vet drew blood and he ended up having thyroid problems. He was on thyroid meds for the rest of his life and he did fine on them. He lost the extra 35 pounds really quick and his skin cleared up and the odor went away within a very short time. I hope what Lily has is similar and nothing worse then that It really is scary, especially with the hip problems. Be healthy, Lily and keep your chin up.

Logan,
    I just wanted to let you know that my co-worker was wondering if her dog had a thyroid problem, so she took her to the Vet. The Vet said that most dogs who have thyroid problems are brought in because of skin irritations!!! Hopefully that's what it is and medication should fix that. I'll keep Lilly in my prayers.

Wow! I never knew that if there is a thyroid problem it could show itself in skin problems, as well as the weight gain! The vet felt like the skin problems were allergic reactions to something outdoors. He said that dogs are so much smarter than we give them credit for being, and that one of the reasons she likes "indoors" so much is because she might be uncomfortable with something outside. And I know I have the smartest dogs!!! HeHeHe!!!

But thanks for your good wishes. I'll try and update you on Friday, before I leave on vacation for a week, to let you know what the bloodwork indicates. I am truly hoping that the thyroid is the problem, and not the food intake! Lilly is an eater, but I am very careful about what she eats (except when she sneaks into Mimi and Helen's room and scarfs up the canned cat food! LOL!!!!

Thanks you guys....I knew I would get your support and I needed it. My babies are too precious!

Logan

I hope it's only a thyroid problem. That is usually solved quite easily. Good luck with everything and keep us informed.

------------------
    Tanya

Oh poor Lilly. Hannah can sympathize on the weight issue. We've had to cut back seriously on most treats. That's where the problem is in our house, I'm sure. There are cookies when they get up, Dad sometimes leave the crusts of his breakfast cheese toast, a noon time milk bone, dried lamb bits for training treats, and the nighty cookie, which is a Bonz. They only get a cup of dry dogfood per day plus 4 TD nuggests for their teeth, but I have to face it that snacks add up.

Whatever the cause of Lilly's weight gain, I hope it can be identified and resolved. As for the rash, if the thyroid is not the problem, you might want to try an oatmeal shampoo. My Tizzie got a great deal of comfort out of those, and she did have some sensitive skin.

Logan,
    Every problem with our babies is serious. You must come to the board for information and especially support. (I know how important that is!!) I know how worried you are and I pray that things will work out for you and Lilly!
    Oh poor Lilly! I hope the weight gain isn't serious. You must let us know immediately. It sounds like it might be the thyroid from what everyone is saying. Killian had something like that when we first got him from the shelter. He lost all the hair on his underside, but also in other areas and weighed only 69 lbs. It ended up being allergies. My first GSD, Wolf, had hip dysplasia. He weighed @ 100 lbs. and he was a large-boned shepherd but he was not a real big eater, so it wasn't hard to keep the weight off of him.
    I will add you to my prayers and also have Killian and Shiloh say some puppy prayers, too. I hope all goes well.
    Sue, Killian and Shiloh

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited June 20, 2001).]

Logan - I will add Lilly to my prayer list. I really hope everything works out and you are able to let us know before you leave. I will be worried sick about the girl. I hope its something very very minor that will have a speedy recovery.

We'll miss you while you're on vacation.

Logan,

Will be waiting for the news on
    Lilly.
    Fringers and toes crossed that
    what ever she has is minor and
    very treatable.
    Sheba is borderline Hypo-thyroid, and has low blood platlets.
    She has been on a very low dose
    of thyroid meds for a year now to keep
    it in check.
    Will be waiting for your post on Friday.

Oh my! There's always a doggie to worry about these days. It's a good thing that she had that rash or maybe you might have not found out about possible thyroid troubles until her next routine vet visit. Now it can be tended to more quickly if that is the problem. I hope you get a chance to post before you leave on vacation. We will keep your baby in our prayers too. Give her hugs and tummy rubs from me!

Logan...Oh, I just saw this post after reading your email. POOR LILY!! Poor Mom! How could you think that this was not something we ALL would want to share! That's what we're here for, silly!! And Lilly IS my god daughter, after all!!! But, Logan, I had heard that, about thyroid problems being diagnosed secondarily to skin irritations, rashes, etc. I know of several doggie friends who are on thryroid meds and do wonderfully, lose the weight, regain their activity level, etc. Just like humans!! You know Cody too has hip dysplasia, and we both know how important it is for them to keep the weight off. Perhaps now you can get a better handle on that too. She will feel so much better. But what a scare it must have given you. I know how you especially love the beautiful golden Lilly girl!! I hope she is feeling a bit more comfortable tonight. I know for sure she will be getting lots of extra loving, if that's possible! And of course, I know you will be especially concerned going on vacation. But your petsitter sounds WONDERFUL!! And I'm sure Lilly will do fine, tho of course, missing you! We will anxiously await your last update and blood test results before your vacation. Give the girl big hugs and kisses and tell her Cody, Star and I are saying our prayers and sending our love! Sandra

Logan, now promise that you will let us know before you go on vacation!!

If I know, I promise, you will know too!!! Thanks everyone, especially you, Sue, who is going through so much yourself!

Love you guys all to death!!!!

Logan