Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Hybrid View

Hi

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself and my new kittie Dallas. I adopted her 2 weeks ago from an animal shelter. She is 15 months old and as you can tell by the picture she is a total cutie. I have had dogs before but this is my first cat and I'm sure that I will need some advice so hopefully you experts out there will be able to help me. In fact. Here is the first one. She is small.. 6.5 lbs and I have a litter box that is about 24" x 15" and I thought it would be big enough but I find a lot, I mean A LOT of litter outside of the box. I thought that she was throwing it out when she dug but what she does is use the box and then she gets outside of it and uses her front to cover it up and since she is so close to the edge she tosses a lot of it out. I thought about getting a hooded box but I heard that a lot of cats don't like them and refuse to use them. I scoop her box in the morning and the evening and in-between if I see something. Any suggestions?

/edit - Oh, you have to d/l the jpg As soon as I get home I will put the pictures on the web and link them so you can see.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by joker98; 10-24-2003 at 10:18 AM.

Joker98, Welcome to Pet Talk, your Dallas is a cutie-pie. I can not wait to see more pics of Dallas.

Just wanted to comment on the litter box situation. I am owned by 5 kitties that love to dig, dig, dig in their box. They would dig to China if they could. I have found that one of those litter mats outside of the box often helps in that it cuts down on the amount of litter that is tracked around the house. Maybe you could also try a box that has higher sides to it.

Once again welcome to PT.

Meg

Smokey, Mystic, Abner

Gabriel (Dude), Gracie, Vegas, and Scarlet

Consider adopting a special needs pet, they deserve a chance too!

RAINBOW BRIDGE BABIES
    Tony 2/15/99
    Tigger 10/16/06
    Tucker 8/1/08

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Welcome to PT! My Mitzi is a "litter flinger" too. I have two boxes that work for her -- one is relatively large, has higher sides and a lip that comes over the edges. She doesn't fling as much litter from that one, but the one I LOVE for her, and she likes best, is a covered corner-box I got from Drs. Foster & Smith. I don't put the door-flap thing on it as she doesn't like that, but she loves the protection of the covered box and I love the fact that I don't have to vaccuum every day anymore -- just every other day

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

First of all, WELCOME to PT, and WELCOME to the wonderful world of being owned by a cat!!!! You'll soon wonder how you ever lived without one!!!!

Secondly, your Dallas is GORGEOUS.... Congratulations!!!! As far as the litter problem, you might just want to purchase one of the boxes that come with covers .... they sell them at Wal-Mart or a Pet Smart!

Thirdly, we need MORE PICTURES of Dallas, and SOON!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Dallas is a real sweetie! Your first kitty! Oh my, you are in for such delights. I cannot imagine life without cats around. They make the place HOME!

For the litter box - I also have a litter slinger - she finishes digging outside the box like Dallas - I have not tried it yet, but read about getting a rubbermaid container with high sides. Might give it a try! Tho- may take all the fun out of covering up. My Emily is so fastidious above covering and i think that is why she finishes outside - because then she also flicks her paws! Can't have litter on those girlish paws!!

Thank you for the warm welcome folks and here are some more pictures of Dallas.

Welcome to Pet Talk

Dallas is a beautiul dilute calico, what a sweety pie. I can see why you love her so much.

Looking forward to see many more photos of Dallas

WELCOME TO PET TALK!!
    Dallas is very beautiful! congratulations on your first kitty!

Kim, I love my signature! Thanks!

Welcome to pet talk and cat parenthood. And how lovely is Dallas!!!!!!!
    As far as the litter boxes go, I use only the hooded ones and I have never had a cat refuse to use them.(and I have a LOT of cats!) I am sure some cats might refuse, but cats like privacy so there should be no problem.

Hi and welcome to Pet Talk.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Hi and Welcome! Your new baby is adorable. Thanks for showing pics. I look forward to seeing and hearing more about her.

From Decker with Love

Hi there and so very nice to meet you Dallas! You are soooooooooo CUTE!! You are also a very petite little girl. I see lots of fun in your future and your new family will be madly in love with you in a very short amount of time. You already have toys and your sleeping in the bed!! Didn't take long for you to start training your new parents did it????

Welcome aboard...your going to love it here

Welcome to Pet Talk!

I think your girl is beautiful, and I love her 'nose hole enhancers'

Post more pix, please.

rosethecopycat

Mama to Snowy, Bella and Mr. Jones

and Foster Mama to an endless string of loving Meezers.

This is an Official Welcome to Pet Talk , Dallas and Guardian , from All 12 of Us at the Lost Cats Hotel and Feeder Gary. MWWEERREEERROOOOOWWWWEEEIAAAAOOOOW!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

A warm Welcome to Pet Talk. Dallas is gorgeous and I look forward to hearing a lot more about her and her antics, and seeing lots more pictures too of course!