Thread: Need Food Help

Need Food Help

I posted awhile ago that Pepper was underweight, well he still is and just keeps loosing weight so we took him to the vet today. The vet said he is in great health, except for his weight, in the last 3 months he has lost ten pounds. We brought in a stool sample but they only found a few roundworms, not enough to account for how much he has lost(but she did give us a dewormer to get rid of the ones he has). The vet recommened that we switch him a a performnce or puppy food. She recomended Eukanuba. There is NO way I would ever feed him Eukanuba, so I need recomendations for performance or puppy foods. He is on Canidae now, and I would keep him on that but it is an all life stages formula and they have no performance formula
    Last edited by Dobiegirl24; 10-23-2003 at 06:03 PM.
    Stephanie, Honey, and Pepper

Thank you for the wonderful sig kfamr!

Also, if anyone knows of any supplements or the like that would add weight and be able to have me keep him on Canidae, that would be great!

Have you considered getting another opinion? 10lbs is a lot in a month. Heck that's one of my dogs! Seriously, you may want to just check with another vet.

I don't know of any good foods that have a performance formula. Surf the net and see what all you can find. You'll be surpirised at what all's out there food wise.

I agree with micki76,
    10lbs is a lot in a month, especially if Pepper is eating
    regular.

(I use Canidae too, so I am not up with all the foods)

----<---<--<{(@

whoops, I ment 3 months ago since the last time we took him to the vet 3 months ago he weighed 72 and now he weighs 62

but I never though about getting a 2nd opinion, lol. I'll have to ask my mom, hopefully she'll agree, and let me get a 2nd opninion on him

Food for thought

Weight loss in a growing puppy is not normal. For the most part the weight especially in a large dog will gradually increase until growth stops anywhere from 9 months to 1.5 years. For some of the larger breeds the trick is to keep them from growing too fast and developing hip problems.

In a young dog weight loss can occur most commonly due to parasites. But these will usually lead to other signs with the intestinal type causing GI problems, while others that may reside in the lungs causing respiratory (e.g. cough/gaging) problems.

Other health causes could be due to the onset of Juvenile Diabetes, where the dog may have a very healthy appetite, along with excessive thirst. This can be picked up on a blood panel work up. Or there could be disgestive enzyme problems such as pancreatic insufficiency, thus the food passes through before it can be digested totally. This can also be picked up on with blood testing. Food allergies can sometimes influence absorption of nutrients from the food.

Finally there is the obvious that the dog isn't getting enough food or a high enough protein/fat content to put on weight. A puppy dog which is underweight should indeed be getting a performance formula which means ~30% protein/15% fat. I presently have my thin puppy of 6 months on a Puppy performance food from Pro Pet (owned by Carnation). It consists of 32% protein/18% fat. Although she is thin, she is not as underweight as yours. If the health checks out at the Vet, and there is no harm in getting a second opinion from another Vet, then give her free choice to her food.

P.S. Stay away from the raw food, especially the raw eggs and potential salmonella. Most of the high performance dog brand foods are much more balanced in nutrition (for a dog not human) than anything you can cook up.