Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: alex has pneumonia, long

alex has pneumonia, long

alex the wonder dog continues to stupify me. he managed to develope a case of aspiration pneumonia over the weekend, he spent 2 nights in the ver er at ohio state university. he's had some problems with nausea over the last 10-12 days, my regular vet checked him out and gave him an injection of pepcid and he did well for 3 days. on saturday, the nausea returned and some how he managed to inhale some of the vomit into his lungs. late saturday pm, i noticed he'd started to cough, a coughing dog is never a good thing. i gave him a small dose of robitussin on sunday am, and when the cough continued, i took him to the er in the early afternoon, just for the record, an er is an er, human or animal, so bring a book. we spent a lovely sunny sunday inside where after a few hours and an xray, he was diagnosed with pneumonia. he had to stay, they hooked him to an iv, he was slightly dehydrated from his vomiting, so they gave him fluids and an antibiotic. on monday they took a culture from his trachea(tube from the mouth to the lungs) and it's growing e. coli, which is normally in the digestive tract. it's a real problem anyplace else in the body. i got to visit him monday night after work. osu has a visiting area for humans and their animals with 2 comfy chairs. on monday night, he looked horrid, green mucus dripping from his snout and an iv and they had to take blood from his jugular at one point (the blood vessels in his throat). i took him outside for a potty break, and his nose was so stuffy that he couldn't smell the next door cow barn (osu is an agriculture land grant school and does a lot of animal research) as i could smell it. we came back in to the visit room, he got in my lap and licked my cheek for a few minutes, then he fell asleep lying on my chest and lap. he slept for nearly 2 hours, i bet he hadn't slept too well in the crates in the icu, and well, i'm the humom. the very nice vet student, jessie (and i want to adopt that boy ) is very smart, kind and sweet. he came in and found me reading and alex sleeping when it was time for the visit to end. we spoke about alexs' medical condition and that he would call me in the am with an update. it was hard for me to leave alex again, he whimpered as i left.
    on tuesday am, jessie called and said alex was ready to leave, alex had carefully removed his iv line himself, but all the antibiotic had run in first. . i got to pick him up, we got home and, after checking out the cats, and cuddling with me, he fell asleep for 10 hours.
    he still is sneezing, doesnot like having his nose wiped AT ALL and is slowly getting better. i am thrilled to have him home.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Hey Alex ~

Wunder Dawgz aren't supposed to be sick ~

You GET BETTER reel Quick!!

{{{HUGGs}}} to Joyce!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Alex - I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it. Hope you feel better real soon. {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you and your mom. Sending you healing vibes!

Dear Alex, you ARE a WONDER of a dog I'm SO happy to know you're home again with your Mom. Reading of her cuddling you in her lap at the hopsital brought tears to my eyes. What a tough week you and your Mom have had. You rest up now sweetheart, wipe those sniffies and get better very soon! Love and hugs to you sweetheart....Sandra
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 10-22-2003 at 06:46 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Sweet Alex, I was so distressed to learn that you had been sick all week long!!! Poor Alex!!! Poor Mom!!!! When I saw your mom's post last night in the Dog House, I started worrying! But I am so glad you are home and ok. Hope that runny nose will stay put very soon, sweetheart. Many, many hugs and prayers to you and your mom.

Logan

I too read another post & learned that Alex had been sick.

I am so glad to hear that he's on the mend now. I really
    had no idea that dogs could have this problem as well as
    some humans do. Must have been very scary for awhile there.
    Hope Alex is feeling better & happy again soon.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh Dear!!!
    Alex please get better ASAP!!
    Lots of hugs and good thoughts comming
    your way.

Karen

----<---<--<{(@

Awww Alex, please feel better soon. I am sending out big hugs for you. Joyce you and Alex have been through alot. Make sure you get some rest too!

Hugs to you both...Robin

Aww, poor Alex, and poor mom too, I am glad to hear he is home and doing better. Sending out positive thoughts and prayers for you both.
    Hugs
    Chris

Oh my, I had no idea...

I'm sorry to hear that your dear sweet Alex has been so sick
    I am glad to hear that he is home and sleeping well (noone sleeps good in the hospital do they?).
    Hope to hear he's back to his old self in no time! I'll be keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
    Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Wonderful Alex,
    I'm sorry you were sick and had to stay at the hospital. It sounds like you are feeling better now that you're home with your mommy. We send you many get well wishes and a big hug.

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..

Oh poor sweet Alex
    I'm sorry you are sick honey, but glad to hear that you are home with your mommy now!!
    Get better soon!!!!

{{{{hugs to joyce and alex}}}}
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

How are you feeling today, Alex?? Hope you're feeling lots better and catching up on your rest! Thinking of you sweetheart...you too Joyce! Check in when you can!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh no, poor Alex!!!! I'm so sorry to hear you were in the hospital. I hope you are feeling better now. I hope your nose and lungs clear up quickly!! Get well wishes from me, Killian and Shiloh!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

pupdate on the wonder dog

alex is doing better. the vet student called and said the trachea culture is growing e. coli, so it is a true aspiration pneumonia, and i could stop one of the antibiotics. the sneezing and coughing is milder, he still has a drippy nose from time to time, but it's no longer constant, and best of all, he's asking for walks and playtime instead of sleeping. magic his cat has started sleeping next to him again, magic had stopped b/c of the coughing. as i type this, magic is next to alexs' tummy, curled up. .
    thanks for all the support, it helps so much.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.