Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Killian/very ill

Killian/very ill

OK guys, I need you now. Here are the details as I understand them:

Killian, my rescued 7 yr.old (used to be 110 lb.) male GSD is very ill. He has been fighting eosinophilic gingivitis (rare in dogs, more common in cats) for a while now. It will clear up for a month and then start again. He has had a biopsy done and that is the result (gingivitis). His liver enzymes have been acceptable til this last time. He had been on Clindamyicin previously to clear up the condition but it would only last for a month. Then the vet decided to try Metronidazole ( for 1 week- 500mg 3X a day, then 500 mg 2X a day) to fight the bacteria in his mouth. Before starting this med, his enzymes were 271 (normal is l00 or less). After being on the meds, his urine started turning orange and he would not eat. He has dropped 10 lbs. (The meds were stopped and tomorrow and Tuesday he goes in for an IV to flush his system. His CBCs, urinalysis and bile acid tests came back bad. His liver enzymes (ALT) are 821. Bilirubin is 8.8 (normal is .3). He is a bit anemic. Anyone have any knowledge of this type of liver disease(?) or any problems with Metronidazole? Any info will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Prayers will be greatly appreciated, too.
    Sue

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sudilar (edited June 17, 2001).]

Oh Sue, I am so sorry Killian is so ill, I will hope and pray everything turns out well for him. Please keep us posted on his condition. I will be thinking about him until I hear from you that he is o.k.

------------------

http://www.vetinfo.com/dmetronidazole.html

The Vet info site link I posted talks about the potentila for liver problems using Metronidazole, because that is where the drug is metabolized. You should read it, Sue, and give Killian a hug from me, or a tummy scritch, whichever the poorbaby prefers. It does say the problems should clear up if the drug is stopped, but again, please read for yourself.

I will be praying for your beautiful Killian. Sorry I can't offer much advice for your situation because I just don't know. I will do some research on the web and see what I come up with. Give the boy a hug for me

Oh, Sue, I am so sorry. This has to be so difficult for you. You and Killian are in my prayers. I hope everything works out for you guys. I have no advise but I sure can pray and that's what I'll do. Good luck.

All of you are so wonderful. I know I can count on you for help!
    Karen, I hope that some of the bad test results can reverse themselves after detox. I am worried because Killi had started to show high liver enzymes even before the metronidazole was started. He was at 380 but went back down to 271 (<100is normal) before the med. I hope the med did not damage his liver more (821). I am so worried.
    Sue

------------------

Well I can't provide any informations but Daisy and I will pray for Killian tonight. Keep us updated. I hope everything goes alright. You can count on us anytime.

Sue...I'm sorry but I have no knowledge in this area at all but I can certainly pray for Killian. You must be beside yourself with worry. How is he acting other than not wanting to eat? Can he keep food down?

What a difficult time for Killian and his family! I'll be praying for you all!

And I just want to put in my two cents to remind our Pet Talk family to remember the animal care givers in prayer too. The vets and helpers, even the jaded and disinterested shelter workers need our prayers to keep them loving and giving to our fur friends!

Good Luck Killian!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers and well-wishes. We need them!
    He also has jaundice, of course. The whites of his eyes are yellow and so is the inside of his ears. He has lost 11 lbs. which makes him 99. It shows on his face and near his hips. He does not want to eat. We finally got him to eat some chicken liver and ground beef. He didn't eat a lot, but at least it was something. He doesn't have a lot of energy, but he still gives lots of kisses!
    You guys are wonderful. Thanks for all that you do!
    Sue and Killian (and Shiloh, who IS eating well-all of Killi's left-overs!)

------------------

You and Killian are in my thoughts and prayers tonight. I know nothing of this disease but I know those who do will share this vital information. Trust your vet to give the finest treatment for your precious baby. I know a lady who was praying for my Jasper while he was lost, and I will ask her to pray for Killan too. Take care of yourself, so you can take care of Killian.

Sue,
    I missed your post last night when I was catching up. I am so sorry to hear Killian is ill. I hope your veterinarian can figure this out and that he will start improving soon. It sounds very scary.
    I know nothing about this type of problem, but I certainly hope you will keep us informed about Killian. Helen and I will say extra prayers for all of you.
    Logan

Oh my gosh, Sue. I am so sorry that Killian is sick, and I will be praying that he gets better and kicks out of this. I did not see this post until today and I am shocked that he's sick.

Your dogs, even though they are YOUR dogs, are very special to me. They are the model of what I want when I get my GSD. They seem to have fabulous personalities and I feel close to both of them. They are special dogs. Killian, please get better, buddy.

Merlin and I send prayers and good energy to you all. We never have had this challange, Good Luck!

Unfortunately I cannot offer advice but I can certainly offer tons of prayers.

I'll be thinking of you both.
    Take care and an extra special hug to Killian