Thread: Sky's Strange Way To Eat

Sky's Strange Way To Eat

Hi everyone. I used to free feed my cats but now I can't because Sky has an eating behavioral problem and was gaining too much weight. Anyway everything has been going smoothly until tonight. I put Sky back in my bedroom to eat because I don't want him eating any of the other cats food. Tonight he didn't want to eat his food out of the bowl. I had to put his food on the carpet a few pieces at a time so he would eat. In other words, I had to hand feed him.When I put all of the food on the carpet, he wouldn't eat it either. I sure don't want him to get used to this and expect me to hand feed him everyday. Before tonight he would eat a little bit out of the bowl and then I'd have to shake it a little to get his attention and then he'd start eating again.

He's a very social cat and loves to be around people as much as possible so I think he just doesn't like to eat alone. I've noticed that he'll eat better if I'm in the same room with him. This is the first time that he's refused to eat out of his bowl. I also wash the stainless steel bowls every night so I know it can't be because it's too dirty. Has anyone else ever had this kind of a problem with their cat? Do you think that Sky is just trying to get more attention from me? Please give me some advice or suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.

Don't you just love the feeding routine of a multi-cat household? LOL I tell you what, I've seen it all at my house. Marius has always been a pig, so that made my other cats turn into pigs because if they didn't, then Marius would eat their food. Ugh....it's hard to keep the food separated too. Actually, Priya acted the way you're describing Sky's behavior when she first came to live with us. She wouldn't eat unless I had the kibbles in my hand, and I began to thin that probably wasn't such a good idea. My guess is that Sky doesn't like the change and is trying to get some attention from you. If he was used to eating in the same room as the other cats, and is now eating alone, he may just be having some trouble adjusting. Give it some time and he'll get used to the routine. If he likes you being in the same room as him while he eats, that's fine. He just likes company
    **hugs**

Hagrid won't eat dry food out of the bowl either. He reaches his big polydactyl paw into the bowl and flips the food out onto the floor.

He doesn't make me get the food out of the bowl for him, though.

Hagrid won't eat dry food out of the bowl either. He reaches his big polydactyl paw into the bowl and flips the food out onto the floor.

My cat does the same thing....and the bowl grows legs and move across the floor

Cubby is a free eater, I have 3 food stations for him. I have one in the kitchen, one in the bedroom and one in the hallway. I live in a one bedroom apartment, so when you walk in and see all these food dishes people think I'm a little odd. But anyways, back to what I was going to say. Cubby refuses to eat unless he can see me. If he can not see me he will not eat or drink anything. He isn't very social, but he has to be some where all day where he can see me. At times it drives me crazy I feel like someone is watching me and it's Cubby! There are even times when he will cry until I get up to stand over him while he eats. I don't know why he does this. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Katie

The only solution I can think of right now is, try to feed the others while you keep Sky in another room and then, when they're nearly finished, let Sky come in and eat with them. It may work and it may not - but good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Sorry to sound harsh, but a little tough love now will prevent hand feeding your cat for 15 years. He WILL eat if he is hungry, so if you don't believe that he is sick (and therefore off feed) just pick up the food that he doesn't eat and he will be hungrier at his next meal.

Thanks for you comments and advice everyone. Both this morning and tonight Sky ate from his bowl again. I still have to shake the bowl every now and then so he'll start eating again. He also prefers that I'm in the room while he eats. I can deal with this. Hopefully last night's episode won't happen again and if it does I think I'll take Jen's advice because I don't want him to become too spoiled.

If you continue to have problems, maybe try changing the stainless steel bowl to a plastic or ceramic bowl . . . never know . . . it may encourage Sky to partake. My Schuyler (white) loves Fancy Feast canned food. As he eats, much of it gets pushed to the far side of his small ceramic bowl. He then loses interest in finishing it unless I turn the bowl around so the food is close to him . . . strange, huh!?
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs