Thread: Smokey just had a fit ??

Smokey just had a fit ??

Just a few minutes ago, I was sitting up in my room with Reggie and Nebo. Suddenly I could hear Smokey downstairs barking like CRAZY! Reggie and Nebo were going nuts. I ran downstairs and my mom's just standing there looking at him, puzzled too. He was barking non-stop and running around the kitchen. This is very odd behavior as he spends 99% of his day sleeping. He sort of ran into the wall a couple of times, and when my mom went to pick him up he jumped like he'd just been awakened from sleeping. I don't think it was a seizure, he had a few of those several years ago and it wasn't the same. He's fine now, in his bed sleeping....

Ugh, my parents are leaving tonight, so I'm going to be home alone until Sunday. I hope Smokey is ok.

Maybe he was just dreaming? My Westie did that once and ran into the fridge in his frenzy to “get” whatever it was he was seeing (the table was what he actually attacked). His eyes were open, but he had been napping prior to the attack of the table and running into the fridge.

Hope things will be ok this weekend.

If something like that happens again, I'd take him to the vet. If it doesn't, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I don't know, maybe he was dreaming but he sure looked wide awake..

He's just walking around the house now, he acts fine. Well, fine as he is now, he hasn't been "all there" really in a long time.

Please excuse my ignorance but what breed is Smokey? (I haven't been around much for a while.)
    As this dog has had seizures in the past I would strongly advise at least a phone call to your vet to explain what happened, if not a visit.
    Has he ever had medication for the seizures? Is he on any medication at the moment?

Sorry I don't have any advice for you Amy, but I hope Smokey is ok!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I hope Smokey is okay... and I also think you should call the vet!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Please tell Smokey that his pals Bella and Ripley (and also me!) hope he is going to be fine. I don't have any suggestions about what it could be but it doesn't sound like a typical seizure to me. My RB poodle, Ashley, had them and they were quite different. Poor widdle Smokey.

Smokey is a mini poodle. He's 17 years old.

I KNOW what it looked like when he had a seizure, and this is not the same thing. That was a good 7-8 years ago, if not even longer. He's a very, very, old dog and I think he was just kind of out of it for a while. He wasn't like tripping and falling over, just running around.

No, he's not currently on any medication. When he had the seizures they gave him some shots, but I can't remember what they were.

So how's Smokey doing today Amy? Hope he's back to his same old self

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Hey Amy, how’s Smokey doing?

Smokey has been fine. He's been eating like a pig (he can eat a can of dog food in one sitting!) and wandering around around the house as usual...right now he's upstairs looking out the window waiting a for his "mommy" to get home.

That sounds so frightening to see, Amy. Maybe it really was just a bad dream, like Micki said. I know guinea pigs can get into such a panicked state that they will run into walls, but that's not really the same thing. I once saw a guinea pig at the vet that had broken its own jaw by running into a wall, and had to be put down because it couldn't eat.
    I hope Smokey will be peaceful and happy for a long time yet. Maybe a lullaby before bedtime will help to stop the bad dreams.