Thread: marking around the box

marking around the box

Any one have an idea of how to stop a cat from spraying the wall around the litter box? My cat has been doing this occasionally . He never sprays anywhere else. It's definately spraying, not inappropriate elimination... aka direct hit on the wall, not puddles. Don't know what to do!

First, is he/she altered? Is the box too close to the wall that he/she can't squat without the tail hitting the wall? One of my boxes is in the corner, and one of my larger cats just can't get his private parts close enough to the litter...so, the wall gets 'sprayed'...

Is your litte box covered? I had/have certain cats that would stand to urinate so even though they were inside the box the pee would hit the wall. Covered litter boxes solved this problem.

I think big litter boxes will work. I see brown markings on the wall but I don't know if they are poops .
    Alexander and his cat Oreo, Inkspot, Oliver, and Catfish. . Cats own you and you own your dogs.

Yes, he's neutered, he has a big box, and he squats normally most of the time. In fact I've figured out that he only does this once early in the morning. He doesn't do this always from inside the box, either--just around it. I'll have to try the covered box, it might reduce the problem.

I caught him in the act this morning--told him no, pushed his tail down, and then cleaned up the mess. Maybe that will help.

You should see him right now... kittyboy's being so sweet to let mommy pet his furry yellow tummy