Thread: Microchipping - Does it hurt

Microchipping - Does it hurt

I am getting Sundance microchipped with his yearly check up in late October. Does this hurt the animal alot or not too much, they could not chip when he was getting fixed because of a reaction to the anesthic - they brought him out of anethsia when he started having problems. He is 3 years old now.

I have had both Emily and Tanner microchipped. The chip itself is much smaller than a grain of rice and it is injected in between the shoulder blades. The cats didn't feel a thing and we have not had any problems with it. The best thing is that they did not have to "go under" to have it done.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

microchipping

I've had 4 kitties chipped so far. None of them required any kind of anesthesia. Three of them didn't put up a fuss at all. They were the 3 small females. The big male (17 pounds) acted like it hurt him some. The vet said it is because he is a big baby and because he had a lot of scars on his neck from his days as a street fighter before we nabbed him and turned him into a house cat. They've all been chipped for over a year now and have had no adverse reactions.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Both of my two were chipped without any problems. No after-affects at all; just the general vet visit digruntlement

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10

Bastet was a little grumpy with me (vet visit thing) and the vet suggested I don't pat her where the chip went into for 24 hours as a precautionary measure. But she was fine - no hurt - no anistetic - just VMS (vet moody syndrome).
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Is it very expensive to have done?
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

The shelter that I volunteer at and adopted both Doogie and Fawnie at, microchipped both of them and also Sydney, my foster mama. None of them had a problem with it. It was ME who had a problem with looking at the HUGE needle. Like emily_the_spoiled said, the chip itself is the size of a grain of rice. I think it's well worth it in case your cat gets out, falls out of a window (uh, ELI!!!), etc.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

it cost me (but then again I am in Australia) $55 and that included registration onto the pet finder database.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."