Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Interesting

I see you're online, so just want to bump this thread up...........since you're new, I don't want you to lose it!

thankyou very much. I can't believe it is almost 2 in the morning my time and I have to get up in 4 hours. LOL. I am very interested in tiels. We have had these for about a year now. Just lately, Penelope has lost the feathers on the tops of her wings (shoulders?). I pray its from moulting right now as she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. She is housed with Nugget who is probably about 7 months younger than she is. I sure hope it wasn't him who did this. They don't seem to fight and I do have another cage to put her in, and will do if nessessary. I just don't really want to do that. I have started giving her extra minerals as suggested on a tiels site. As for my dogs, I will post pictures now. This is sooooo much fun!.

This is Honeybear. She is about 8 yrs old. Stubborn she sure is. She has the most beautiful almond shaped eyes. My grandson could shove his fist down her throat and she wouldn't budge. Hubby put the baby on her when we brought him home 4 years ago and said "this is your baby now take care of him". She puts up with anything he does to her. Will have to post a pic as soon as I can scan one of the two of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "My Little Zoo"
    Gran Ma Ma to Nugget and Penelope, Lucky, Rascal and Lacy Rose

that was really a lousy picture of her. When we had our reunion pictures taken, it was so funny cause I didn't realize she and Lucky was in them. I had to crop them to post. Now heres the little rascal. He just loves his mommy. My husband will come home and say, Wheres my boy, and he shoots as fast as he can to reach my husband before my grandson can.! (ps. grandson and daughter live with us.) Lucky is Bryans dog. Lucky is 2 now.
    "My Little Zoo"

Originally posted by LadyDove
    I am very interested in tiels. We have had these for about a year now. Just lately, Penelope has lost the feathers on the tops of her wings (shoulders?). I pray its from moulting right now as she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort.
    First of all, your doggies are also very cute!

As for Penelope's wing feathers...................how many feathers did she lose? I mean..........how much of her skin is showing, if any? Is she fully feathered on her wings except for one little spot that is a small bone/joint? When I give my tiels a shower, that little tiny bone part sometimes shows, when the feathers are wet, however, when they dry, its fully covered again. Did you see her picking on her feathers? Is she acting normal? Are her droppings normal? These are just some other signs to look out for, to know if it could be a cause of concern or not......If you are concerned, I would suggest calling an avian vet and asking them, or maybe taking her to the vet for a check up to make sure everything's fine.

What are you feeding your tiels? Mine used to be on a seed diet, along with fresh veggies (broccoli, peas, carrots, corn, etc.), certain types of cereals, occasional whole wheat bread, and sometimes popcorn *home popped.....without butter/salt* as a treat. I have recently added pellets to their diet, which they say is very good for them and SHOULD be a part of their diet. Since they've been eating that, their feathers are looking more healthy and very thick, thank God. If you're not feeding your birds pellets, I recommend that you do. They get most of their vitamins/nutritional needs from that and its good for their feathers. Good luck!

Popcorn, The feather loss is alot on the top part of her wings. I have watched her preen herself, but I honestly think Nugget was trying to mate and someone told me they would do this. He seems to be leaving her alone now. Her droppings are fine, in fact, she seems fine and they say this is moulting time, so I have put her on vitamens, minerals and pellets. Only the last few days, so I am looking every day to see if they start growning back. I didn't know you could feed all those things to them until I recently joined a tiel group. I am learning alot and as I love birds more than anything, I sure want to keep these healthy. My niece works for a vet, so I usually ask her to find out for me. I think I might be on the right track as to raising them now. I sure hope so because they are such a joy!.
    "My Little Zoo"

Hi! welcome to pettalk! i guess i may be a little late but a welcome is still a welcome right? My name is amber and unfortunetley i own no birds.. Im hoping to soon though.. Your pets are adorable! Honeybear looks a lot like one of my friends dog.. Lucky is also TOO cute! Ah your tiels! they are SOOOO cute! i want one so bad.. lol anyway my pets are in my signature below.. Cami is a corgi/american eskimo mix and Cali is a calico cat! Hope you stick around long (most newbies dont )

Amber

Honeybear and Lucky are absolutely gorgeous!!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Aww, your dogs are so cute!
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

Welcome to PT LadyDove!

Your birds are beautiful and so are your dogs!

I also have a chow (not sure how much of a chow-we picked her up off the side of the road-someone had dumped her) and her name is Huney too! I'll attach a pic so you can meet her

It's always good to have another member! I'll be looking forward to many more posts from you

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

WELCOME to Pettalk!!

To one and all, Thankyou for the warm welcomes. It was posted here to stay because some newbies don't? Well, I hate to tell ya all, I'm here to stay. Had a tiring day at work and got home and right away headed to pet talk to see the most loved pets in the world. I went to the archives (big mistake) I just couldn't leave. Fell in love with so many pets. Seems like alot of these pets are the center of folks lives. I could say mine are too and I am ashamed I don't give them the attention they deserve most of the time. No matter what kind of day I have had, they are always soo happy to see me. I have my daughter and grandson living with us right now, and he is my world. I also have a grandaughter who I don't get to see all that often, but my children, grandchildren and my animals are my reason for living. (oh heck, I'll throw in the hubby too. LOL. Married 31 years Oh MY !!) Just wanted to say, this is a delightful bunch of pet lovers and look forward to visiting time and again.

Welcome to Pet Talk! My, your 'tiels are beautiful! So are your dogs! I also have a Cockatiel named Piper, he is about 7 months old.
    Here's a picture of him...

I also have 2 dogs, Molly and Daisy (who you can see in my signature.) Daisy is a Golden Retriever, and Molly is a Sable and White Rough Collie. I also have 2 cats, a hamster, and 6 desert tortoises! Sorry I'm so late at replying, but Welcome!

I'm bumping this up as I know alot of you were wondering what I was talking about with my tiel's feather loss on her shoulders. I have a pic, not a good one, as my daughter just got a cell phone that has a camera in it. We don't have a regular digital camera so I had her take one the best she could. Of course you will see Penelope isn't not happy about having her picture taken. She flew in the corner and was not a happy girl. I put her on mineral and vitamn's and it looks like there might be a little feathers growing from the top down now. How long does it take for them to get their feathers back. I saw a pic of a tiel here that was almost featherless and they grew back or so I assume. Any ideas again? I really think it might be a molting thing, but I have never seen a bird loose so many all at once. She has bare flesh showing as you can see. She doesn't seem at all bothered by it Thanks All.

Edit: I can't seem to get the picture to be clear if I enlarge it I will have to work on it. its at the top of her wings where the shoulders meet
    "My Little Zoo"

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

I don't know much about birdies (though last night my husband mentioned he wanted to get one).

But your dogs are beautiful!!! Especially Honeybear. I hope we'll get to hear more about them and see lots of pictures!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Hi Ladydove - sorry I'm late in offering a BIG Welcome to Pet Talk.
    I'm the official servant and cuddler (?) to three daft cats:- Bagel and Ketchum - both all black brother and sister, and Dan - a tuxxie boy.
    Look forward to reading more of your posts.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx