Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excited (thanks)

Originally posted by Fox-Gal
    I even been in a few pet stores where I have heard them giving people bad advice when it come to repitiles
    Even? Pet stores are THE WORST source of information for any animal... Maybe I just have limited exposure, but pet store workers/owners in general seem to know or care very little about animal care, especially more exotic species but even very common animals (tree frogs, mice, hamsters). The general ignorance scares me...

And YellowLabLover, wow. Almost every rat book I've seen in stores (book stores and pet stores) says cedar is dangerous but pine is "safe" and one I saw in a pet store just last month recommended mixing cedar with pine so you get the cedar odor control but the "safe" pine... It made no mention of any other type of litter. It also said to use a hamster cage. I wish I remembered the book title. It was in the small pet aisle and their only source of pet care info for mice/rats...

I'd say just to use several sources for your information and be able to separate facts from opinions. Ask around for reputable books and websites. Like do online searches for book reviews. Those are quite helpful.

I agree that books have a LOT of inaccurait info.. I read one book that sayed a himmilayen guinea pig with white with black eyes, no its not.. it white with chocolate or black points and pink eyes.. I have read a lot of book with wrong info like that, that one is not bad, but I have read book with some pretty horrable info, for exapmle, that a petstore a great great place to buy a dog, and they are noy unhealthy as people say, and that they are generally healthier the dogs from anywhere else! I read several books with this bit of info!!
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I agree that pet shops and books aren't good or accurate sources of information. When I first got Frisco, I relied on the two for information, and when I finally got the internet, BOY did I realize what I was doing wrong. The pet store and the books all reccomended seed mix, pine/cedar bedding, said that lone rats make better bonds with the owner and that bucks will fight, and even gave info on certain standards of rat colours and types that were all wrong.
    I've been BOO'd!

I think online info doesn't give that much info out...... Amber: I was just couriouse on how old are you.... so if I made you feel uncomfertible. Oh my gosh i can not belive that people hate geckos because today my friend brought in is lepord gecko and people were like.... "eeeewwwww GROSS" uuuuggggg i can not belive it. i am also so excited to get my gecko. I am looking for names online websites lol oh by the way, DOGZ: Thanks for the congrats (heeeheee)

oooopppppssss I ment that my friend brought in is African Fat-tailed gecko not lepord.... ooopppsssiiieesss sry

It's Ok you didnt make me feel uncomfortable at all

Okay... that's a good thing LOL