Thread: I've Figured it Out!

I've Figured it Out!

Hello again! This is a follow up to the 'puppy agression' post I made last week. Today was my day to puppy sit and not only did I get Rascal to 'release' but he also learned 'no'! I was estatic! Mom suggested a spray bottle and use it when he doesn't listen. I knew that cats didn't like water, but I never thought of it for a puppy.

So I filled it up with luke warm water and when he was playing and grabbed my finger, I said very firmly 'release!' and when he didn't do it, I squirted him once and said more firmly, 'release!' He had no clue where the water came from and he stopped gnawing on my finger! He started to pester his brother kitty (Maui) and I told him 'no!' and he didn't listen. He did it again and I squirted him with the water and he stopped.

I went on a 30 minute walk with him just to burn some of his energy off and work on his socializing. I guy on a tenspeed bike came by and that was the first time I'd ever seen Rascal ever balk at something. He actually hid behind me and let me soothe him!

When we got back anytime I said 'no' he stopped (well, give or take one or two times) and he found a toy that Maui doesn't play with and was carrying it in his mouth (it's small enough that it will fit in his mouth, but big enough that he won't swallow it). He came to me and I held out my hand and said 'release' and he dropped it into my hand! I was like OH MY GOODNESS! He was being such a good boy.

Next Tuesday we work on jumping and nipping at the same time. Any advice? He's also getting his first trip up to Petsmart to pick out his "Auntie's" house toy. Since he's an agressive chewer (but still has his puppy teeth) what would be a good toy for him to play with? I don't want to get him anything too hard...keep in mind he's a Parson Russell Terrier/Rat Terrier mix so he's really little.

THNX

Congratulations!!! It is always so wonderful when your pup learns something new, and play biting is one of the most difficult behaviours to correct (IMHO). It took about a year to break Leo of it.

Keep up the good work. And continue to work with him. Establishing yourself as alpha will continue as long as you keep working on his basic commands. Use the Nothing in life is free (NILIF) program. It works wonders. Make him do a required command for everything good. Make him sit before you feed him, make him sit before you take him outside, make him sit/down before you play with him. HE HAS TO DO HIS CHORES BEFORE HE CAN PLAY!!! The worst punishment you can give a dog is to ignore him, so if he gets obnoxious - walk away, turn your back or completely ignore him.

Leo had a major jumping problem when I first got him. I tried all different things until I was totally at a loss. Finally what I did that worked was when I walked in the door and he jumped on me - I would walk out the door again. I would wait outside for about 5 minutes and walk in again. If he did it again - I would leave again. It took about 2 days for him to get the idea that jumping meant no attention and that is exactly what he didn't want.

And contrary to popular belief - dogs do not want to assume the alpha roll - it is too stressful. They would much prefer to take a secondary roll.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow, what a smart dog you have there! I'm glad to hear that things are going so well for you
    I'm sorry but I don't have any suggestions for the jumping except like clara said, ignore them.
    As far as toys, have you tried maybe the nylabone or the kong?

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I agree with anna_66--especially with a puppy, ignore or distract him from the bad behaviors and praise the good ones. Ignoring a puppy who's biting really does work wonders. The second he starts to bite, play time is over. And NILIF is one of the best things we learned at puppy kindergarten.

About using a squirt gun as punishment--I've read that you run the risk of making your dog afraid of water, and that can eventually be a problem when you need to give him a bath.
    Has anyone else heard this? I'm not sure what I think about it, but it might be something to consider. In general, I'll admit I'm partial to positive rewards for good behavior (like teaching "release" by offering a really tempting treat)--but that's because I found those work best for my dog. I realize not all dogs are the same, though.

I do think that a really good thing to do is read a lot about different methods and approaches so you can make good decisions about what works best for your puppy.

I have a I dont know how to spell it but it sounds like chawwa mix and when he was eating up everything I gave him empty soda bottles and he loved em. I'd watch him take the cap off and then I'd take the cap away. It worked for the shepard I use to have too.
    Good luck and God Bless.

Congratulations on your excellent progress!

I wish I could give you advice on the jumping problem, but I really can't because Max came pre-trained and Jake just never did it. But I know you'll figure it out! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!