Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To spay or not to spay???

To spay or not to spay???

My Rottie x Lab girl is 2 in november!
    she is not spayed yet due to the price of spaying!
    but what are all the pros and cons of spaying, (not puppies as a con as i am able to secure her during her seasons),
    this whould help as i would like to have her spayed but i dont want a fat (or to have to cut her food down) incontant dog!
    Ky and Rio
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

(not puppies as a con as i am able to secure her during her seasons),
    That's what you think but sometimes their desire for an evening of fun is stronger than your containment, I've heard so many stories of people that end up with a litter because their pet escaped. But PLEASE spay your dog, it's well worth it. By getting them spayed it eliminates the chance of ovarian cancer and decreases the chance of mammary cancer.. so in the long run saving your dog from lots of pain, and saving you money. Your dog will be so much healthier if you get her spayed. Pets don't actually get fatter if you spay them, the reason why people think this is because usually people who spay their pets have their pets living the indoor life of luxury so of course they are going to be heavier then the stray dog who has to fend for herself that is unspayed. But please please please for your dog (who sounds like a beauty, and I would love to see pics) get her spayed.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

SPAY HER!

Altered dogs live, in general, a longer, happier life. They have zero chance of getting some cancers. Yes, altered dogs do tend to gain some weight, but with a little management that doesn't happen. In fact, our Tigger, who is a Husky/Pit mix has difficulty keeping weight ON. Right now his ribs and hip bones are sticking out and we feed him ALL the time.

Also, we don't need anymore unwanted puppies in the world and why put her through the trauma of pregnancy and puppybirth?

Ok, sorry, I'm off my soap box.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Unless you are a responsible breeder, there is no reason for you NOT to spay her.
    You might think you have her secure but one of these days she will get out. It isn't a question of if but when.
    You would be astounded to find out the amount of puppies 2 unaltered dogs can have in just 5 years if none of their offspring are altered. The number is 64,000 puppies!!
    She will be healthier, happier and have a longer life. My GR is on the chunky side but she also has hypothyroid. If you are basing your love and desire for your dog on her weight, then you don't have the love and passion for your dog that the rest of us do here.

IMHO
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

You really should spay her.She really could get out oneday.I can understand that you don't want her to get fat because that can cause some health problems,but at the same time she would be happy and live longer!

Got a need for speed, and a passion for barrel racing.

You've never ridden a horse until you've fallen off.

Adopt one until theres none.

I am going to spay her after her next season (its to late now).
    But what are the chances of incontance?
    Also there is an Anti mate injection that is given twice a year that is a possiblity!
    its not that i dont like my dog fat its that i dont want to cut her food down by half (as some people have to) because she loves her food!
    Ky
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

But what are the chances of incontance?
    I've never heard anything about incontinance due to spaying..

Also there is an Anti mate injection that is given twice a year that is a possiblity!
    Earlier you said you hadn't gotten her spayed due to the expense, this will be more expensive in the long run. Plus it won't reduce the chance of cancers. If you love your dog then you should want her to live as long and healthy of a life as possible. Spaying really is the best solution.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Really would like to welcome you and do hope that we see pictures of your baby. We do love pictures!

Now I'll wade in. It is so much better for the dogs to have it done.

I have three females and one is not spayed. The only reason the puppy isn't done already is that she's scheduled to go in November. We talked to the vet when we were in a week ago and made the arrangements. He said it would be a good time for her to have it done.

Weight can be controlled. You don't have to feed her less, just don't feed her more and keep up her normal amount of exercise.

It's something I really insist on with our females and I can't remember that we have ever have had a problem with incontinence.

As for expense, if she has a litter and has problems it will cost you the spay fee and then some taking care of those problems. And that even take into consideration the cost of any problems she'll run into later if she gets mammary or ovarian cancer.

OK, I step down now. Thanks mugsy for allowing me to use the soap box.

Originally posted by mugsy
    SPAY HER!
    Agreed! Take a look at petfinder.com and you'll see the results of female dogs not being spayed--- so many homeless doggies!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

I agree, spay her. You said you don't want her to get fat. It is a myth that dogs get fat because they get spayed. An owner might notice decreased energy after the spay, and might not feel the need to go for walks as often. This is why dogs get fat after they are altered. Lack of exersise and poor nutrition.
    I've been BOO'd!

I think you are going to get the same message from most of us, especially those involved in rescue. Spay her. Watch her weight, but I have not seen any big weight issues with my own girls, attributed to their spaying. I have heard of incontinence issues with older spayed females, but they are easily controlled with hormone pills, twice a week.

For your own good, and the good of your dog, spay her.

SPAY!

For all of the reasons everyone posted, spay her!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Yep..I'm pretty sure everyone's going to give you the same answer.

I'd stick to spaying rather than the twice a year injection. I don't think many people have heard of the injection, therefore it probably is fairly new on the market. Spaying is a very common thing that almost always ends up with good results.

If you check your local shelter, they may have a spay/neuter program that will spay your dog for you for a cheaper price than some vets. I think the spca here said it was 50 dollars compared to our vet for 100.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

The value of spaying

The incidence of mammary cancer among spayed dogs is near 0%. After the first heat they have a 7% chance of developing mammary cancer later in life. After the second heat and there after the percentages go up to 25% or 1 in 4 will develop mammary cancer.