Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: poor appetite

zoey is eating better than she used to.she eats most of the time but she doesn't finish most of her meal.there are also times when she won't touch her meals.
    i'm getting hooked to pettalk too. you guys have been great

zoey's eukanuba dry food is finishing.and so i was thinking of switching to another brand of dry food.my vet told me to try out royal canin but my groomer told me to leave that as the last resort as they tend to not eat other brands once they have eaten royal canin.any suggestions or reccomendations?i don't have innova here.besides eukanuba, there's purina one, eagle pack, science diet ,royal canin and anf. the groomer gave me a sample of anf but zoey didn't quite like it.she ate the 1st meal and wouldn't touch the 2nd.
    another problem is that i can't get my avatar to appear.

Sadie eats Royal Canin now. She's not thrilled with it. She seemed to get excited in the beginning but I got a huge bag and she just seems bored with it. Do you have Nutro anywhere near you? Other good ones: Solid Gold & Wysong. Sadie seemed to really like Wysong but it is expensive.

Duncan eats Eukanuba per the vet's suggestion. She said never go "below" Iams. I have compared the ingredients and you cn see the difference for yourself in the first 5 listed. I would stick with Eukanuba if she's eating it and doing well...Petco has a dog food comparer on their website. It will list the ingredients in the food and the percentage of each I think. Only brands they sell however...
    I'm glad to hear she is Zoey is doing well and that her eating habits are a little more stable. Duncan has taken to "waiting for something better" My fault for occassionally giving him table scraps... ! He evenutally eats but only as a last resort....SILLY DOG!!!

evelyn1157, just wanted to say that I think you have been brilliant with this problem.
    It is one of the most difficult things for a caring owner to cope with as there is so much worry attatched to it. You are a star!
    I'm so pleased that things have improved so much, good on you!
    People who have never had this problem don't really understand how awful it can be or how determined the dog can be.
    Brilliantly done!

well ,zoey 's back to her "don't want to eat phase"*sigh*
    should i try royal canin? or should i try out eagle pack 1st? eukanuba , anf, and eagle pack is among the expensive brands over here whereas royal canin is a bit cheaper i think. i would prefer her eating eukanuba but she doesm't seem to like it.haven't seen nutro or solid gold & wystrong here though

yipee!! my avatar's up and running

and running, and running, it's a cute avatar!

I don't know anything at all about Eagle Pack, but I think you should try the Royal Canin - they have different varieties, Sadie eats their Natural Blend variety. Now that she's older I go for as organic and preservative free as I can.

I've heard brands like Eukanuba, Science Diet, and Iams still have preservatives and while they may be recommended by vets they aren't the best.

She does seem to really like Royal Canin most days but every so often she looks in her bowl like "are you kidding?". Even on those days the bowl is emptied eventually.

we don't habe the natural blend type here in malaysia only royal canin size nutrition. and the one which is suitable for zoey in on this website http://www.size-nutrition.com/sbp.htm
    should i try it?
    Last edited by evelyn1157; 01-17-2002 at 08:46 PM.

or it this one better?
    http://www.eaglepack.com/pages/eagle_pack_dog.html

Both those options look good to me. I checked the sites you gave and the Royal Canin's ingredients look good - no meat by-products or anything sketchy like that. Eagle pack looks good too - I prefer going for the holistic/natural varieties of whatever brand I choose and the Eagle Pack site has a holistic variety with ingredients that sound great. Not sure if that's available by you. Hopefully your dog will like one of them. By using brands that include human grade meat it should taste better and be more tempting!

I try to reward Sadie with a spoonful of cottage cheese or an egg yolk a few times a week only after she finishes a bowl of food. I hope she'll associate eating well with be rewarded to encourage her to eat. She can resist temptation to any treat, doesn't care about food at all, but cottage cheese she goes crazy for!

i had nearly the same problem with Leika. I use Eukanuba puppy for small breeds, she didn't eat from her plate 'cause it was too big for her and it wasn't 100% her own. It belonged to my old dog Ringo. I used to give her in my hand, but you shouldn't do this, this will get you to give her everyday food from your hand. THen I bought the right plate for her. Maybe that's her problem?
    Puppies are a bundle of joy, dogs, are life's happiness.

she has been using her own dog bowl since last time.

the groomer recomended another brand of dog food which is called ' back to basics' . has anyone heard of this brand?

this is their website
    http://www.backtobasicspetfood.com/