Thread: GSD's??

GSD's??

I have been looking at GSD's for a while now, can somone who owns one tell me a bit about them?? life span, energy level, ect?

possible future breed
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Did I understand right? German shepherd?

from www.dogbreedinfo.com

Description :The German Shepherd Dog is also known as the Alsatian. It is handsome, well proportioned and very strong. The coat most often comes in black with tan, sable or all black, but also can come in blue, liver and white, but those colors are considered a fault according to most standards. White is not an acceptable color for the German Shepherd, however they are now being recognized as a separate breed, called the American White Shepherd. The nose is black most often black but, blue or liver still do sometimes occur, but is considered a fault can not be shown. It has a sturdy, muscular, slightly elongated body with a light but solid bone structure. Its head should be in proportion to its body, and the forehead a little convex. It has a strong scissors bite, ears wide at the base, pointed, upright, and turned forward (the ears of puppies under six months may droop slightly). The eyes are almond-shaped, never protruding, dark, with a lively, intelligent expression. Its bushy tail reaches almost to its hocks and hangs down when the dog is at rest. Its front legs and shoulders are muscular; its thighs thick and sturdy. It has round feet with very hard soles. There are three varieties of the German Shepherd: rough-coated, long rough-coated, and the long-haired.

Temperament Often used as working dogs, German Shepherds are direct and fearless, eager and alert. Bold, cheerful, obedient and eager to learn. Known for their tremendous loyalty and courage. Calmly confident, but not hostile. Serious and almost human in his intelligence. They have a high learning ability. German Shepherds love to be close to their families, but they are very wary of strangers. This breed needs his people and should not be left isolated for long periods of time. They only bark when it is necessary. German Shepherds have a very strong protective instinct, so they should be extensively socialized to prevent over-guarding when they are an adult. Aggression and attacks on people are largely due to poor breeding, handling and training. A well bred, well-adjusted, and trained dog is for the most part generally good with other pets and excellent with children in the family. They must be firmly trained in obedience from an early age. It is extremely important to purchase your German Shepherd from a reputable breeder. Some are timid and skittish and may be prone to fear biting. Research a puppy's lineage carefully. To be successful pets, these dogs should be trained and socialized from an early age with a firm and loving hand. Coercive or angry training does not succeed well with these dogs. To be truly happy, the German Shepherd needs a task in life. The breed is so intelligent and learns so readily that it has been used as a sheepdog, guard dog, in police work, as a guide for the blind, in search and rescue service, and in the military. The German Shepherd also excels in many other dog activities including schutzhund, tracking, obedience, agility, flyball, and ring sport. His fine nose can sniff out drugs and intruders, and can alert handlers to the presence of underground mines in time to avoid detonation, or gas leaks in a pipes buried 15 feet underground. The German Shepherd is also a popular show and family companion.

Life span: About 13 years, sometime more

I have owned some germans shephs, and I can say, they are very friendly with people, children, other dogs and pets, if they are trained well

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

Exercise - German Shepherd Dogs love strenuous activity, preferably combined with training of some kind, for these dogs are very intelligent and crave a good challenge.

My germans was very lively and energetic, and they loved to run, swim and play games

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)

as an owner of a GSD, And a GSD/Wolf(Jefe GSD, And Buck GSD/Wolf)
    I Don't believe they are very active, Buck is very active dog, But hes still in the puppy stage..
    Jefe is a very calm dog, Unless he sees the Leash.. Haha..

If you do get a GSD, Just a tip. GSD's Should always be kept on a very short leash, like... maybe a 1 and a half-2 foot leash.

Thank you for the Awesome Signature, wolfsoul!

-ME

German shepherds are wonderful dogs. They are my second favourite breed, and I plan on getting another when I'm older.

They are very loyal and smart. Extremely versatile, and have made it in history, even though they've officially only been around since the beginning of the 1900's. They are herding dogs, so they are very active and should be exersised alot. I read a book that recommended exersising them for 40 minutes 4 times a day. They should only EVER be bought from a good, reputable breeder (or shelter) because they are extremely susceptible to so many diseases, especially hip/elbow displasia. They should be socialized at a young age, and vigorously, because they are a very dominant and aggressive breed. Their fur requires alot of grooming. When they shed, they will shed litterally garbage bags full of hair. My Leather has very short hair for a shepherd, but could fill 2 garbage bags on her own. They have a double coat, and shed twice a year. The most common colour is black and tan/black and gold, but they come in other colours, like bicolour, black, white, sable, blue, and liver. The shepherds with German lines are alot more stocky, heavier, with more prominent noses and usually longer fur. The ones with American lines are thinner, more agile, and are usually more susceptible to hip problems. These dogs need physical AND mental stimulation daily. They don't do well on a rice, fish, or soy diet. They need more fibre than most breeds because their colon is shaped differently. They are the breed second-most prone to disease. Their life span is 10-13 years, but there are always exceptions.

I hope that's enough. I can think of more, so tell me if you want some more lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

you all forgot one thing.......

they are super cute puppies !!!! and great gard dogs !!!

Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Hehe, yup. The first pup you posted is a bicolour -- that's the kind I believe I want. But without so much gold on the face. I like it pretty much pure black with maybe the gold brows and gold on the legs. It's so pretty. But I don't have much of a choice lol. I'll pick which pup has the best personality.
    I've been BOO'd!

Life span: About 13 years, sometime more

I have owned some germans shephs, and I can say, they are very friendly with people, children, other dogs and pets, if they are trained well [/B][/QUOTE]
    Life span... I know a friend that has had his GSD for 19 years..

Yeah friendly with people, children, other pets... dogs...

Thank you for the Awesome Signature, wolfsoul!

-ME

My aunt has a GORGEOUS german shepherd named Ace. He's a "coated" (long haired) german shepherd. He is an EXCELLENT guard dog, but warms up to new people quick. He's about 9 months old now and it almost 100 pounds. He is expected to gain a little more.

He gets along great with my 2 dogs, whenever he comes over or we go over there. They are prone to hip dysplaisa, as large breeds are, so that's something to watch out for. She plans to either do obediance cmpetitions or confirmation shows.

If you have any other questions, LMK.

I love gsd's. Remember Max/Xander? The gsdX? I only had him for two days but you could tell he was very smart and he showed that he was a great guard dog.

If you do decide to get one later on...make sure you find excellent lines, or even better, get one shipped here. Canadian and american gsd's have been bred so much that some of the traits that they were bred for don't show up as much...but adoption's just as good

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I'm bored so I'll say some more lol.

German shepherds are, as said, very good guard dogs. So you should always have signs that says "beware of dog" AND "Do not trespass" because if a GSD feels the need to protect it's yard or home (which one almost always will) it may bite, and the injured person could sue. One of the reasons I live GSDs so much is the fact that one is willing to protect so much, and will fend for it's family until the end. Such a dependable breed.

GSDs shouldn't be kept on puppy food for very long, because the extra vitamins might make it grow too fast. A GSD that grows quickly is a very bad sign. Considering the vulnerability they have to bone diseases (my own RB shepherd Polar died from a bone disease. He was over 100 pounds and still just a pup), they should be put on a food that will let them grow slowly. A shepherd should be able to grow until about 18 months to two years.

Although it isn't very true that shepherds are more closely related to wolves than any other dog, they are supposed to have the most wolf lineage in their heritage. Either way, they do resemble wolves quite a bit. There was a big research project where they took GSD pups, husky pups, malamute pups, and samoyed pups, and they gave them to a wolf pack. The wolves took care of the shepherds and abandoned the rest. No one is quite sure why, but it does bring up alot of question as to why they would choose pups of one breed and not pups of the other.

In North America, the colours that would be excluded from conformation are white (unless they are doing a "american white shepherd" show), blue, and liver. Blue and liver because the pigment of the nose isn't black. The nose colour has to be black.

German shepherds are sooo smart. I've never met a dog as smart as my Leather.

I find that shepherds aren't as inclined to be crazy about balls or sticks like a border collie or springer spaniel might be. They love to play, but I find they lose interest quickly. I love this, becasue I don't enjoy having a ball placed in my lap every five minutes lol.

You have to teach a shepherd manners. Make sure it knows that you are allowed to touch it's food. They can become very possessive of their belongings, maybe not with the owner, but even other people. That's why Leather doesn't get as many chewy treats as she used to. One time she started growling at any who walked by, so she was scolded and had her chew taken away.

I'll come up with more later lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

If you do get a GSD..it will need a job to do, or need a very active life, and full daily schedule. Running along side a bike, jogging, herding, agility, flyball, and if it's petite than maybe even frisbee. Just keep that in mind, k?

What happened to the several other breeds and dogs?

Do you mean this is a WAY WAY future breed?
    Seems like you name a new breed each week.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I will tell you about mine, I don't think there your "Typical" GSD's!!
    Mine.... are big goof balls!!!

We got both from rescues! So.. they were 5 times the work as a dog that came from a breeder.
    Sierra we got when she was 5 months old, (she's 2 now)
    and was afraid of men for the first year we had her, and is still head shy of men.
    Buddy, we've only had him 9 months, and is still.... we'll lets say he's a Work in Progress!!! We are fighting with the fact that Buddy does not like my hubby!! He's okay with other men, just not Rick. We think Buddy wants to be the man of the house! I think they are FINALLY to the point where we can start doing some general training with Buddy and Rick and try to get those two to make there own bond, and become friends! It's just so hard becaus GSD's want to protect ther owner, and Buddy needs to realize the Rick is his owner too!! Buddy thinks he needs to protect me from my hubby! So..that's a BIG problem right now! It would have been easier maybe had we gotten Buddy earlier in his life! He was already a year old!
    But when my hubby is not around, Buddy is an AWSOME dog!! The perfect GSD!! Always protecting me, checking the yard out.
    I go for walks with them, and if someone is walking behind us, Buddy will walk sideways so he can keep an eye on them! We have to stop, and let the person pass so we can go on with our walk!! I don't even need to have him on a leash he's such a good boy, and won't leave my side, because then... who would protect me??!!!? Not Sierra!!!!!
    Yeah... then there's Sierra.... she'd not so much protective of me, but she's VERY protective of our yard!! She nipps people on the butt on our yard for no good reason!! People will walk through the gate (of our fanced in yard) and she'll follow them for a few steps, then slip behind a tree and watch them, then sneak up behind them and nipp them on the butt and start barking!! Meanwhle, Buddy is barking at them the entire time!!!!!
    We had to do something about this, so now we have a huge pen in our yard that they go into when we have people over.

As far as kids.... neither of mine have been around kids. They both have snapped at kids. A group of 7 or 8 year olds were running around screaming playing tag, so I started to walk away from them, and then all at once the gather in a circle around us yelling "CAN I PET YOUR DOGS???" Both got freaked out and snapped at different kids at the same time. I told all the kids to back up, and sat both dogs, and one at a time, had the kids come up and pet them. So they were just spooked, but I didn't like it!!
    Now, I have a 2 year old niece that come to visit, and they both seem fine with her, but my sister won't let her get too close to them. But just earlier this am they stopped over, and I gated the pups in my bed room, and Julia (my niece) stuck her arms over the gate and was petting them both, and both had tails wagging and wanted to com out!! Even after a few of her screaches.. (little kids when there SUPER happy) they didn't seem to mind!
    I do know that Sierra does NOT like to be chases by little kids! A friend had her 7 year old over and they have a dog that LOVES kids, and I told him that Sierra does not like to be chases, well, he did anyway, and she finally turned and snapped at him. (after I told him to stop 4 times) So...... as for GSD being good with kids, as with any dog, start them early!!!!!!
    My two chase eachother around for hours and hours on end!! That's why I have a problem with them keeping weight on!! There both on the skinny side, healthy.... but just skinny the vets say!!! Neither fetch ANYTHING!!! I could throw a raw steak, and they'd both look at me like " What... do you think I'm going to go get that!?!?"
    Shedding, LOTS OF HAIR IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to vacuum everyother day!!
    So... the one thing I am going to start strong on this winter is training, Buddy is doing pretty good with Rick.
    And my brother-in-law just got a new baby girl GSD named Sage, here she is:

and here's my babies!!

Princess Sierra:

Buddy Boy:
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

German Shepherds are the best dogs in existence! I've had 2 - one purebred and one cross (Max is a cross).

Let me tell you about Max: He has almost human intelligence, which is good and bad. If he wants something then you can bet he'll find a way to get it. If he wants out of the house, then you can bet I'll be running down to his favorite doggy friend's house to round him up. But on the positive side, he learns tricks extremely quickly.

He also seems to have a "6th sense" - he seems to know what I'm going to do before I do! If I even think of taking him for a walk, he's waiting by the door or following me around barking until I get my shoes and coat on and go.

He's unbelievably loyal - he sleeps by my side of the bed every night. When I get up to go to the bathroom, he comes with me. When I go downstairs in the morning, he goes with me. When I'm painting or watching TV or whatever, he's right there by my side. When I take him for a walk off leash he runs all around, but he's back checking to make sure I'm OK at least every minute.

He's very sensitive. If he thinks somebody in his "pack" is hurt, he's right there checking on them. When the kitten falls, he turns her over with his nose and sniffs her everywhere just to make sure she's OK.

I do not - EVER - leave Max unattended outside. He's a real sweetie, but I absolutely would not trust him not to bite a stranger who came to close to the house.

As far as his energy level: outdoors, he's a ball of energy. If I take him off leash, he literally runs ten miles to every mile I walk. He's full-speed ahead until he collapses from exhaustion. Indoors, he moves slowly and carefully and sleeps most of the time.

Prey drive: WOW He loves to chase anything small which is moving quickly. When he catches it, he just sniffs and licks - but he sure is scary when he goes after it, especially when it is a little dog or kittie.

My family's purebred German Shepherd was very similar - extremely loyal, smart and protective. He was 8 years old when he adopted our family, so his energy level wasn't as high. My parents were stupid enough to keep him outside off leash all night long, and we lived in town. That meant that nobody was allowed to approach our block after dark (even people who lived there - it appears he didn't have a sense of smell). It was extremely frightening to encounter him at night. If he had been kept indoors, he would have been the perfect pet and companion.

For anybody considering getting a German Shepherd, just keep in mind that allowing them outside off leash is out of the question, unless you want a lawsuit. Other than that, and their shedding, they're the perfect companions.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!