Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rats

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    So get a tailess.

Thier EXTREMELY hard to find, unless you know of a breeder who docks tails.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Huh?? They have tailess rats?? I never knew that! omg! That would be a different sight!

*Nodnod* Tailless ratties exist, just be VERY thorough in doing your homework on the breeder to make sure they are actually tailless, not docked. 0.0

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I had a slight problem with the tails at one point. In a week, I ended up kissing those little tails.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Yes, you can get tailesses *aka maxes* but they aren't easy to find and very expensive. You should also get two rats since they are so social and you'd never be able to buy two manxes. It would be way too expensive.

In a week, I ended up kissing those little tails.
    Haha I love their tails too. Especially Icarus's. It's so soft that I brush it against my lips and it's feels so cool.
    I've been BOO'd!

Dont worry If I would ever decide if a rat is right for me I would definatly(sp) get two rats. I think Ill stick to the tails. Tails dont bug me.

Originally posted by wolfsoul
    Most reputable breeders ship.
    Actually most reputable breeders DON'T ship. Most will drive a reasonable distance to meet you or help make arrangements for transport. Shipping via mail is illegal. Shipping via airlines in expensive. Also it is extremely stressful, and small mammals do not handle stress well. It weakens their fragile immune systems.

I have driven 10 hours to get rats (WV to Chicago). I might be a little nuts. I think they are wonderful pets and gorgeous animals. I prefer rats to any other pet, possibly equals to my cats, but the cats can try my patience (peeing in appliances, tearing up furniture and what have you -- and they are spayed females, no less!)

If you are interested, I have a website with lots of rat info. I've been breeding (for pets only to private owners, of course!) for just about two years, but have had pet rats since I was three years old. They are the best.

http://curiosityrats.tripod.com

WOW, finally another rat breeder, and one I have heard of. It only took two years to get another one over here.

I don't think Wolfsoul meant shipping any other way besides air, most of us here know that is illegal. I do have to reiterate that most breeders do drive a long distance for nice pedigreed animals.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by curiosityrats
    Shipping via airlines in expensive.
    You got that right! Last year I was looking around at breeders sites trying to find a pair of male dumbos. I finally found a breeder with two dumbo males, and I was interested in them. So, I e-mailed them and asked how much shipping was, and it was over $130! I didn't get them...plus the fact that the breeder ships eventually turned me away.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    You got that right! Last year I was looking around at breeders sites trying to find a pair of male dumbos. I finally found a breeder with two dumbo males, and I was interested in them. So, I e-mailed them and asked how much shipping was, and it was over $130! I didn't get them...plus the fact that the breeder ships eventually turned me away.
    That's alot of money. I wonder why it costs so much. Here the prices change every year, but it's generally $100-300 to ship a dog. I wonder why a rat that weighs so much less and takes upso much less space would cost that much.
    I've been BOO'd!

It costs that much because there is a minimum crate size for live animals, so there really isn't less space. The only time anyone actually ships rats is when, for example, a group of breeders on the east coast get together to expand their blood lines and get a group of rats from the west coast. 8 or 10 rats can ship "comfortably" in the minimum crate, so the cost isn't nearly as much when a group of people are splitting it.

You rarely see any of this, though. Most of the time, to get a rat from point A to point B, you arrange a "rat train" with owners/breeders that are headed that direction. Some of my rats got to me via "in-betweens." For instance, a breeder in Columbus picked up a rat for me when getting her own rats from a breeder in Toledo. Then I drove to Columbus to pick him up. Cut my driving time in half and was no extra burden on her.

I have a question about shipping animals.When you ship any kind of animal lets used a puppy for a example when they are shipped are they fed, cleaned, and played with? If they arnt thats Terrible!!

Originally posted by Amber
    I have a question about shipping animals. When you ship any kind of animal lets used a puppy for a example when they are shipped are they fed, cleaned, and played with? If they arnt thats Terrible!!
    When talking with some of my future pup's breeder's customers, one told me that they are very well taken care of on the flight, but made it sound like they aren't allowed out of the kennels, which does make some sense since the pup is someone's belonging and it'd be like rummaging through someone's suitcase. The person told me that at the stop, they will crowd around and ask a bunch of questions and maul the puppy lol.
    I've been BOO'd!

hehehe well as long as they are fed and cleaned up and talked too thats ok with me.

Tailless rats

I had the first DUMBO tailless rat born in the Northwest born out of a dumbo fawn, and a dumbo agouti self. Here are some pictures. They are not of the best quality as they were taken before I aquired my now digital camera, but I though you might want to see these Amber.

I have several tailless carriers here in my rattery. Most breeders believed that the tailless and dumbo genes could never match up, but yes I proved them wrong. Soon after my dumbo tailless was born, a friend of mine had several other dumbo tailless born in her rattery, and she just aquired three more bucks this weekend at the RMHF show in Los Gatos.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major