Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you know if it's time

My husband Russell & I debated this for 6 months when Sadie was so sick. We decided that as long as she had quality of life, then the time had not come. Some of our well-meaning friends (politely and delicately) suggested from time to time, that maybe we should put her down. Yet we knew she wasn't ready. People might not understand, but that didn't matter... the only thing that did matter was our girl.

But Sadie for all her troubles was happy! Sure, she got frustrated at times, but she was happy. Especially when she was right by Russell's side... He was her Man... I'm surprised she tolerated my presence at times!!!

She was a beautiful and sweet and SILLY girl. Then she became critically ill... and went to the Bridge on her own... I think that was her last gift to us... she spared us from having to make that decision.

In years' past, we've had other pets.... and someone said, "Your Pet will let you know"... and in my heart of hearts, I believe that to be true.

The most important thing to remember is... make the most of each and every minute. Stay in today... enjoy today.... love your dog today.... Tomorrow will take care of it self!

Elizabeth, you're in my thoughts and prayers.... Hang in there.... treasure these days...

Annie

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Annie Milliron ]
    CoraKiraand Sadie Mae

Star Light Star Bright
    I wish I may I wish I might
    See our Sadie's Star tonight

Dear Elizabeth,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago with my cat, Charlie. He was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia back in January. At the time, he was a happy, "healthy", bouncing kitten and there was no way I was going to put him down then. I totally agree with everything that Annie said-as long as he had quality of life, I was going to give him all of the love I could and a safe home. A few weeks ago, though, he became very, very ill. He was obviously in a great deal of pain. Putting Charlie to sleep was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but my consolation is that I gave him the very best I could for as long as he was with me and I didn't allow him to suffer unnecessarily. It was one of those things: I just knew. I believe that you will know too.

The wonderful people here at Pet Talk helped me through that very difficult time and rejoiced with me when I adopted two more babies. If you would like to read those threads, they are: Charlie's Sick, Charlie's Gone and New Babies in Cat Health and Cat General.

Please know that you and your puppy are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thelma

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

Many thanks to Kay for the fabulous sig!

The same message holds true for me, too. Someday Killian will be taken over by his liver disease and when that day comes (I hope it is far, far in the future) I will have to depend on this wonderful BB to help me ease him on his way because I know that it will be almost impossible for me to do. I said before that I think I let Avalanche hang on a little too long because of hope for a recovery that did not happen. Wolf (my first GSD) escaped death the first time. He was to be put down on a Monday and he recovered on the Sunday to live 6 more months to pass on his own. I was hoping beyond hope for my poor Avie for that reprieve too. I should have let her go a few days sooner. Because of Wolf's first recovery, then peaceful passing, there will always be doubt in my mind...what if....what if.... Hang in and try to be strong. I know how hard it is. You must think of your pet and save her from suffering. I know that this is easier said than done.
    My heart is with you.
    Sue

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Thank you all so very much for your kind words, prayers, poems, and thoughts. They meant a great deal to me. You've helped so much. I was feeling kind of pressured by my husband to have her put down, and also by family members when they come to visit. But I now know that while the time is approaching, it won't be today or tomorrow, and it will be mine and Foxy's decision, no one elses. Thanks again.

Elizabeth, don't you let anyone but Foxy tell you when it's time. Hopefully that time will not be for a long, long while. And when that inevitable time does come, you know where to come for support

Something happened with my dog Buddy two
    weeks ago, that brought this subject back to my
    mind and made it seem like a very real possibility
    that I would some day soon have to make this same
    decision for Bud.
    The weekend before last Buddy showed difficulity
    walking, was very unsteady going around the yard,
    and would slip & look very unsteady in the house.
    He moaned & groaned the whole weekend, whenever
    he got up or laided down.I had to help him back up
    the steps after every potty break. He acted miserable,
    and looked it too. I increased his meds, didn't help.
    The vet saw him 2/12 and added another pain RX
    changed his food to Hills Prescription diet r/d. Bud has
    had hip displasia and has arthritis now in hips & spine.
    The vet says he will do a lot better when the weather
    warms up. The added pain meds do help for now, but
    I can almost see "the time" coming and I hate it !!!

Oh Liz, I am deeply saddened. I am absolutely heartbroken. Sometimes I wish they would never grow old. It's so beautiful and precious to see them blossom from a bouncy puppy, to an adolesent who likes to destroy, to a well behaved adult, and then finally, to a calm and peaceful old age. It's beautiful to see the transistion from a hyper pup to the sophicaticated adult that graces you with their presence.

You have done everything you possibly could for Bud...more then most owners do. I know how much Bud loves you and i know how much you love Bud. I so much wish that he would not ever get older and develop signs of pain, but it's one of those horrible necessary evils of welcoming a dog into your life...one day you will have to say the most heartbreaking goodbye and make the dreaded appointment. I ache for you. I am so sorry that you are having to think about this, but I know you will do the right thing when the time comes that makes Bud's quality of life poor.

May peace be with you and Bud as the days go by. Please, please come to us for help when the time does come and you have to make some decisions. No one should be without full and complete support during one of the most difficult things ever. I will be praying SO hard that Bud begins to feel better again. Please know that I ache for you and I will be thinking about you and sweet Bud.

Love,

Leslie

Liz that same thing happened to us. We had a Senior Schnauzer, Kona. At the time she was 15 (last year) We knew she was getting worse, arthritis, glucoma etc. We knew but could not bring ourselves to face it. We took her to the Vet and he gave her rimadyl (spelling?) and for eight months to a year she did well, even went down the stairs and slowly ran with the other two dogs. After that she started to fail, layed down all the time, lost control of her bodily functions, still we could not face it. We would say, maybe next week. That went on for a couple of more months, then one day we both cried and knew it was time. She was in pain and we were being selfish trying to keep her with us.
    We didn't want to lose her. The day came and we took her down to our Vet and Don held her when she went to sleep. That has been the most difficult day in my life ever.I guess what I'm trying to tell you is that you and Buddy will know when the time comes.
    You will think of Buddy no matter how much it hurts you. I hope this has helped you a little. Hugs and kisses to sweet Buddy.
    Jackie

Oh, Liz, I'm so sorry that you have to be thinking of this. I, too, know that I may have to think about it in the near future. ( They say that 2 yrs. with liver disease is an average. Killi was diagnosed last year.) You will know when the time comes. It will be the hardest thing you have to do for the one you love so much, but it will be something you MUST do for Bud's sake. I hope that you still have a long, long time with Bud. I'm praying that the meds and the nice weather will give him relief. We're here if you need us. Our hearts are with you!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

As many have suggested - look into your pet's eyes. My last dog Candy, a cock-a-poo, had to be held up when she went to the bathroom towards the end. She still didn't look sad or have pain in her eyes til one day and that's when I decided it was time - she passed away on the way to the vet.

Sorry this is a tough time for you

Elizabeth, I know that this time has to be difficult for you. Everyone needs to do what is good for them. I, on three ocassions, have had to put pets down. Each time, I held them when the Vet gave the injection to sedate them and would wait for the final injection, just to be with them. Each time I cried my little heart out, but felt good that I was there when they closed their eyes for the last time. You will know when you pet is suffering too much. I took my pets in early, to elimate a bitter and painful end, and that made me feel good about it. I didn't want them to suffer. My last pet was put down one year ago and I still think about her and have lots of pictures of her around. She didn't have to suffer too long. She had cancer of the tongue and was unable to eat or drink - I gave her water with an eye dropper until I found of the test results, then scheduled her for a Sat. trip to the Vet. I cried for days before and days after. It is the humane thing to do, but very difficult. I just know you will know when it is time. Good luck. Be strong.

Thank you Sasvermont, although I am not the original
    Elizabeth who started this thread, my given name is
    Elizabeth and I felt that you were speaking directly
    to me about my dearly beloved companion Buddy...
    Your thoughts about this mean a lot to me. I can't
    tell how much... Learning to accept "the time" is a
    heartbreaking event for us humans who are left
    behind to morn their passing.
    My dog Buddy will be nine yrs old in March and has
    had health problems since he was a pup.An early surgery
    at 1yr old for his hip problems gave him more years to
    enjoy life(and me to enjoy him). But time catches up with
    us all. When Buddy was a younger boy (6 yrs ago), I had
    to be treated for Breast Cancer. Through the post-op
    of surgery, chemo & radiation treatments Buddy was
    my encouragement to get better. Times when I came
    home after a chemo treatment and had only the energy
    to get to the nearest armchair , sit & fall asleep. Bud
    somehow knew how I felt, and although an active pup,
    would simply lie down by my chair & wait for me to
    gather strength to feed him & take him outside.
    Buddy & I have shared so much together, I would
    hate to lose him but I will not let him linger or suffer
    when "the time" comes.

Thank you Leslie, Jackie, Sue, & others who have offered
    their thoughts & kind words about this...
    Last edited by lizbud; 02-18-2002 at 09:09 PM.

Sorry I did not post before. I know too well how hard this decision is.

If I only could I would keep my pets with me forever, but I can't bear to see them suffer. When they are in pain, keeping them longer with me would be just for myself and I would not do them any favours. My cat Gigio was so frail the last few days it broke my heart to see him like that. I believe that sometimes they stay longer just for the love they feel for us. I am convinved that one of my pets was hanging on her last few days because we were not able to let her go, then one day we noticed how hard it was on her, told her that she could go if she wanted to, she died peacefully less than an hour after that. I know it's so hard, gosh I'm crying now...

Now I'm crying......thinking of Avalanche.....sigh. I know she held on for me. She was the guardian to the end. I should have set her free a few days sooner.......
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue