Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes!?

Coyotes!?

OMG.. They just had a story on the news that we should look out for Coyotes!

I'm so scared. I swear if ANY COYOTES touches my dogs I will borrow my neighbors hunting guns.

http://baynews9.com/site/Search.cfm?...y&contentid=36

Here it says they lives in most parks -- That would mean they could be near the dog park It's wooded around that area.

I never thought coyotes would be down here, and I really hope I don't ever spot one.

Knowing Nala she wouldn't be afraid of it and would just want to play with it.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

New Westminster (where I live) has the highest population of coyotes in the Lower Mainland and my condo faces a park. Last night about 10pm I could hear them howling which means they've caught something. It was so disturbing I had to close my balcony door. I have heard that they will not go after anything their size or bigger so I would assume that big dogs are safe, but who knows.

All the more reason to have indoor pets.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I kind of feel sorry for coyotes because the only reason why they are the way they are is because of people encroaching on them and forcing them to live in close residency to people. People's pets get picked off because they are roaming, which they really shouldn't be doing anyway, and there is no natural food available to the coyotes. In most cases, wild animals prefer their natural diet, but if the natural diet is removed they have to resort to unnatural diet and scavanging. Coyotes have learned to do this from years and years of encroachment. It is a sad and potentially scary situation for anyone. Wolves get the same treatment from ranchers that live near forest preserves (Yellowstone) and other people who simply are afraid of them. While working at Wolf Park in Indiana during my college years, I also got to interact with their only coyote (Wild Bill) and he was a sweetie. Coyotes are surprisingly small, and they are only doing what they need to surivive because of the position people have put them in.

I do agree that it's not good for people with pets, but things need to be done from both ends to ensure safety.

KayAnn... when I took a walk last fall and heard the baying of coyotes, I freaked out.

But after talking to some people (my aunt namely - she lives in Coyote central), she said that coyotes are naturally timid of people and dogs.

They would rather run away than risk a confrontation.

Small dogs and outdoor cats run the risk of being a meal... and usually that is if the coyote is starving.

Simba and Nala are of good size. I don't see a coyote having the guts to go after them.

*HUGS*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Northern NM is fulll of coyotes. I've never known them to go after bigger dogs. Cats, yes. A friend lost her yorkie to a coyote,.. but generally they are afraid of humans and stay away.
    -babolaypo

Only that which is the other gives us fully unto ourselves.
    -Sri Yogananda

It's important to have an end to journey toward but it's the journey that matters in the end.
    -Ursula Leguin

Coyotes are not as bad as people think they are. And after all, THEY were there first, not US!

For you to say you would just go borrow your neighbors gun makes me so angry, it is the stupidiest comment I have heard in a long time. Coyotes usually leave dogs alone and people.

Cats are another story, but people should leave them inside if they are so worried about it. They are wild animals, our cats are domestic, it is our responsibility to keep them safe indoors.

If a coyote killed a small dog or cat of mine, would I be pissed? NO. Why? Because they were there first and if we hadn't had encroached on their habitat and destroyed it making them have to move into cities to look for food it wouldn't happen.

When I lived in Whitter the coyotes would follow me home all the time, they would walk right up to me initiating play. They were not savage or agressive at all. I used to live with a coyote for a very long time, a pet, named Daringer, who was the sweetest canine you could ever meet.
    Last edited by luckies4me; 09-25-2003 at 02:45 PM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

OMG!!I'm so glad I live on the Outer banks!We don't have any coyotes Where I live,ofcourse Sully wouldn't go near a coyote.

Got a need for speed, and a passion for barrel racing.

You've never ridden a horse until you've fallen off.

Adopt one until theres none.

I grew up in So. Calif. near Rancho Santa Fe and in Encinitas. I had horses then and used to ride across the hills nearly everyday. There were numerous times I came across packs of coyotes.

One sad occasion I was riding alone and I heard a noise. A coyote came busting out of an orange orchard, ran a bit more then stopped and looked behind it. I then heard the baying of a dog. The coyote started to run again and pretty soon a beagle came out of the same orchard. It was hot on the scent and trail of the coyote. Just shortly after the beagle passed in hot pursuit the rest of the pack followed out of the orchard.

Coyotes are smart resourceful animals. But the previous person was correct. The reason we are having more trouble with them in more areas is that they are losing their hunting grounds.

Denyce

We've always had foxes and coyotes around here..I've never however, heard of one attacking and hurting a dog..atleast here, they are VERY timid

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Originally posted by luckies4me
    When I lived in Whitter the coyotes would follow me home all the time, they would walk right up to me initiating play. They were not savage or agressive at all.
    Then that is not a truly wild coyote. A wild born Coyote would never walk or follow home a human, unless it was raised by huamns then released....like this one. 99.9% of coyotes are scared s*itless of humans.

Kayann, I wouldn't worry about Nala & Simba- they are most likely bigger than the Coyotes, and could hurt it before it hurt them. If it was a kitty or something smaller, then I would be worried. Or, if you lived up by our cottage, you would have to keep an eye out for wolves, mountain lions, and black bears! Our neighbor almost lost their dog to a black bear about 3 months ago!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
    Then that is not a truly wild coyote. A wild born Coyote would never walk or follow home a human, unless it was raised by huamns then released....like this one. 99.9% of coyotes are scared s*itless of humans.

Um yes they were wild coyotes, they lived in the forests surrounding Whittier. There are no "pet" coyotes there. They would come out at night and follow me home, running behind me. Which is why our neighbors cat was eaten. I doubt someone raised a bunch of coyotes and set them free in the wilds of Whitter. Especially since most are tagged and being monitored by the local Fish and Game committe. And when I say initiate play it's not like a domesticated dog running up to you with it's tail wagging, it's nothing of the sort. When I would turn around they would run the other way, and then turn around and follow me again. One got so close I could pet it, which I didn't, but it would have let me, and then would probably have bit me out of fear.

In 29 Palms the coyotes would follow you too. Yes they are scared but it doesn't mean they won't walk up to you, especially when they are hungry and searching for food.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I saw that on the news earlier today! Can't believe it. Better be on guard.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I have not many experiences about coyotes but foxes here have started to follow the humans because their area is getting smaller, on the other hand they can feed perfectly on human dumping sites. So they live now in cities as well. In these circumstances it can happen that the animals no longer act that shy as they would in a complete wilderness.

I have seen one evening a coyote in Yosemite. It came out of the woods on the parking lot -it was evening but quite some people were around- stood still, looked around and went back slowly without showing any signs of panic.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Um yes they were wild coyotes, they lived in the forests surrounding Whittier. There are no "pet" coyotes there. They would come out at night and follow me home, running behind me. Which is why our neighbors cat was eaten. I doubt someone raised a bunch of coyotes and set them free in the wilds of Whitter. Especially since most are tagged and being monitored by the local Fish and Game committe. And when I say initiate play it's not like a domesticated dog running up to you with it's tail wagging, it's nothing of the sort. When I would turn around they would run the other way, and then turn around and follow me again. One got so close I could pet it, which I didn't, but it would have let me, and then would probably have bit me out of fear.

In 29 Palms the coyotes would follow you too. Yes they are scared but it doesn't mean they won't walk up to you, especially when they are hungry and searching for food.
    should she say sorry for being wrong? and i would say i would "borrow my neighbors guns" if something happened to my dogs.. i love animals and all but i love my dog and i think i would use them if that happened..

Kayann we arent coming up there to get eatten by wild coyotes!! LOL!! nope nothing would stop me from coming except maybe the walker duel.. i have enough bruses already.. Keep a good eye out and keep us updated..

**nala** coyotes arent your friends.. no playing.. lmao..

Originally posted by CamCamPup33
    should she say sorry for being wrong? and i would say i would "borrow my neighbors guns" if something happened to my dogs.. i love animals and all but i love my dog and i think i would use them if that happened..

I was simply explaining the situation, gee. Sorry for having an opinion.

I can think whatever I want. If I think it's a stupid comment than so be it, everyone thinks and acts differently. Now if you want to continue this with me you can send me a private message, or simply add me to your ignore list. Thanks!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major