Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coffee- how, when and why?

Coffee- how, when and why?

Now, despite being known for my brilliance normally, I can't say this thred was my idea...Zippycat deserves the credit...but, we were talking Coffee, a subject near and dear to both our hearts, and wanted to see what everyone was drinking-COFFEE WISE.

I will start...I like my coffee strong, and usually buy whole bean Starbucks, in various roasts. I grind it, and put it into a drip. I do love using the french press..but, it gets kinda time involved, and a bit messy at work. The crema (the stuff that sits on top), is sooooo great with the french press style). I also love esspresso based drinks.....and still put cream in it!

Then, I 'ruin' it by putting in fat free half and half, and a little artifical sweetner.

mmmmmm... coffee!!!!!

I like mine fairly mild. I don't like starbucks coffee unless I dilute it with about 1/3 water! I like it REALLY fine grind, and I buy beans and grind it myself.

Then I add a LOT of Equal.. no, not sweet and low, HAS to be Equal, and cream. Not milk. hehe

Sometimes I will put in some chocolate milk, too, just for flavour. I don't usually buy flavoured coffees though, but I think Sippy has convinced me to try mocha java!

And another question - for me, coffee is strictly a morning drink. If I'm going to drink coffee I have made myself, it's over breakfast. Sometimes I will buy a coffee if I'm out with friends, but usually I go with hot chocolate or Earl Grey. Does time of day affect when you want to drink coffee?

I have not had a cup of coffee for at least 20 yrs. Never liked the taste and it certainly never agreed with my intestines. I stick to water and milk.

But mention the work Frap and I there in a hurry.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by Nomilynn

And another question - for me, coffee is strictly a morning drink. If I'm going to drink coffee I have made myself, it's over breakfast. Sometimes I will buy a coffee if I'm out with friends, but usually I go with hot chocolate or Earl Grey. Does time of day affect when you want to drink coffee?

I usually drink coffee mostly in the am...but, for instance, I am going out to dinner with some friends on Sunday. So, when they go get their ice cream, I will get a flavored drink instead...maybe decaf, maybe not. To me, coffee is just soooo comforting. I guess that is why I call it an addiction?

I am a starbucks junkie. Mocha expresso or caffe mocha or mocha latte, please!!

If I'm going "plain," the breakfast blend is just as fantastic. Sometimes I perk this up with a spoonful of Godiva Hot Cocoa Mix. Can you tell I'm big on choc. flavored coffee? lol (One of the best I've tried is a Tiramisu flavor --wasn't made by starbucks tho--I guess they quit selling/making it now though, can't find it anywhere.)

Gimme coffee anytime, anywhere so long as it Starbucks and so long as it isn't vanilla.

~~~~~
    Nomilynn--
    I think it's interesting that you water your coffee down! The mocha java that you sent me was a bit weak when I made it following the canister's directions. Wonder if it's a "Canadian vs. American" thing?
    It is some good stuff, though! (And it's so weird to see instructions in English and French -- here's it usually English and Spanish.)

Acckkk! Can’t stand the stuff!

The only time I drink coffee is with a breakfast-type meal at a restaurant. I use creamer and a bit of sweetener.

I have to admit, I've been known to drink an iced coffee at Starbucks, but only if someone else is buying!
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

I drink espresso drinks more than I do plain coffee.

My favorite is a single-shot 16oz non-fat mocha

when I do drink coffee I usually just put some raspberry flavored creamer in it

I'll drink it anytime, anywhere! But ALWAYS in the morning

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

Originally posted by TheAntiPam

I have to admit, I've been known to drink an iced coffee at Starbucks, but only if someone else is buying!

HE he he ....as I am sipping on a 'free' mocha right now! I LOVE my baristo!

No way, Never, and because it's gross.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

At 41, I figure if I were ever going to get a craving for coffee, I would have done it by now! I don't drink coffee, although both of my parents do. My sister and brother don't drink it either. Go figure! But my husband does, and I LOVE the smell of it brewing, and he makes it so strong that I swear the spoon could stand up in the cup!

I can always drink hot tea or a diet coke over "coffee" with any of you, though, and I'd enjoy that very much!!!

mmmmm... coffee!!!

I switched to decaf a few years ago, because I was a nervous wreck all the time, but I still love to drink it!!!

Starbucks breakfast blend is what I keep at home, with a lot of sugar--has to be sugar--and vanilla cream. I splurge on the occasional mocha too--probably 2-3 times a week, but not at Starbucks--the one here is horrible.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I don't like coffee ewww and I got lucky Rob doesn't like it either.

My dad he is addicted to coffee *LOL* he can drink it morning,afternoon,evenings and night.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

I can barely function to get dressed for work in the mornings. Must make my Starbucks stop before seeing anyone so they don't find out I'm really a crazy witchy lady with a caffeine dependency!!!
    grande strong coffee, soymilk and equal.

Originally posted by Logan
    But my husband does, and I LOVE the smell of it brewing, and he makes it so strong that I swear the spoon could stand up in the cup!
    Logan, does your hubby know Terry? He's the same way.

I don't drink much coffee at all, but Terry has to have his in the morning. My mom drinks it too, so I grew up with the smell of coffee and I, too, love the smell of it brewing.

Actually I never used to touch the stuff, until Starbucks came on the scene. Then all I'd ever have is a Cafe' Mocha Grande with an extra shot for good measure. But for me, coffee has to be hot and sweet or forget it. Cold coffee....eeewww....

A few years back we got one of those promotional things from Gevalia where they just ship it to you whenever you want it - every 4 weeks or 5 weeks or 6 weeks or however often you want it. It's not much more expensive than premium coffee (like Starbucks) at the grocery story and I never have to worry about buying it. We switched Terry to decaf a few years ago too, because he was just nervous and cranky all the time from the caffeine.

The only time I'll drink it is if we come across a coffee shop somewhere - and we actually prefer any coffee shop except Starbucks - or on the weekends. For some reason on the weekends I have to have a cup in the morning before I get in the shower. Lots and lots of the powdered creamer with two packets of sweet-n-low per cup please.

Oh, and Terry prefers Hazelnut or the Stockholm roast which is a little darker blend than Gevalia's normal roast. I prefer the Hazelnut, but the Stockholm is pretty good too.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl