Thread: shiba inu

shiba inu

Does anyone here have or know much about shiba inu's.

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

PM Emily (lovemyshiba) and ask her.
    Or you could always use a search engine.

I do!!!!!!!!!!!

What is it you would like to know????

Kito, my shiba, is my best buddy.
    Shibas are magical little dogs. They are very cat-like. Kito likes to lick his paws and prance around and pounce just like a cat. They need to be socialized early in puppyhood, or they may be dog aggressive (this is more often found in females). They aren't generally good with children, unless they are raised with them.
    They are stubborn little creatures, and very intelligent. They can learn things like "come" "sit" "stay" and other commands, but they may only do them when they feel like it.
    They love to talk--Kito sings when I come home, and sings at the other dogs sometimes too.
    They do shed, because they have an undercoat, and you could make a rug out of all of the fur that comes out--but with regular brushing it is not bad.
    The breed itself is generally very healthy, and can eat anything and require minimal exercise.
    Kito loves to run around and chase leaves, run around the house, lay around, go for walks, and be a real pain in the butt sometimes--but I love him so much!!!

They are also quite independent, but very loyal to their humans, and can be wary of strangers. One example of Kito's independence--at night, we'll go to bed, and he will not come into the bedroom--he wants to sleep downstairs alone. He loves his mommy the most, because I baby him so much!!

There are many good sites about these wonderful dogs--type in shiba inu and do a search--I know you will find a lot of informative and hilarious websites!!!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I love shibas I want one soo badly now that I have seen kito and herd so much about him lol. I have done a bit of research on the breed and they are very cat like dogs you can carry them, and they are very cute. they shed and they are energetic. They need weekly brushing. I hope to own a male one day I already contacted my future Shiba inu Breeder in Vancouver .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I too have a Shiba Inu , Byakko.Emily told you alot about them.She is definatly right about the early socialization but you still must be careful.I took Byakko to the dog park and everywhere daily and as she got older she became unpredictable with dogs.She is great with people but she just doesn't like some dogs and you never know which ones.She started to start fights at the dog park and we never knew when or with who so I had to ground her from the dog park.She is a Queen Shiba with a captal Q as all the shiba people call her.She is very typical.Shibas are very intelligent and stubborn and hillarious but if you want obedience you are barking up the wrong tree allthough some do compete in obedience and agility be prepared to work,work,work for it.Don't get me wrong I do believe in obedience classes and Byakko has taken them and I plan to continue.I am not saying they are untrainable and horrible dogs.I think Byakko is wonderful but a bit unpredictable,I have heard some people who compete in obedience/agility with their shiba's say they have a border collie or some other breed for consistency because their shiba might just stop at the last thing and wait for the time and then finish or lay down then do a perfet sit ,you just have to laugh it off and those are the best trained.People that have and keep there shiba's love them.They are there furry teenagers that never grow up but some people definatly find them hard to deal with.I love Byakko.She cries in the morning if I don't lie down and cuddle with just her and it took some time but she has learned to like our last rescue,which was the one she hated the most and the one we got for her to play with because the others were big dogs,a leonberger and a lab mix and the last was this pappion/pom something little mix for her.Now they are great buddies and do the shiba 500 dash all over the yard and love to wrestle and play.She loves to play with the lab mix too.She has no idea that she is small.There are lots of good sites and message boards to get on and talk to people with shiba's.I always research so they fit my family and the good is easy to see but you have to look at both sides to decide since you get the whole package they are adorable and cute but not always cuddly sometimes a bit aloof,definatly things are on their terms but they will keep you amused.I wouldn't trade her for the world.
    Laurie
    Last edited by Byakko's Mom; 09-25-2003 at 06:19 AM.

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I love shibas I want one soo badly now that I have seen kito and herd so much about him lol.
    Thanks!!!

I guess he's my little advertisement!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
    Thanks!!!

I guess he's my little advertisement!!!
    hee hee!!! He is, He is. I didnt even know what a shiba inu was till I came to pt and seen Kito lol.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven