Thread: Dog agression

Dog agression

I'm pretty sure Kaedyn's been neglected in the past. I'm thinking he probably wasn't socialized as a pup and maybe had a few bad experiences. In the past few days, he's tried fighting with Kai. Kai never starts it, he tries walking away but kaedyn continues to lunge at him. Kaedyn only attacks Kai when he's excited. Other than that, they basically ignore each other. I don't care who's alpha and who's not but I just have a problem with Kaedyn attacking Kai. ughh I really need tips on getting him less dog agressive.

I gave him a time-out while me and Kai continued to play after he attacked. He didn't like it because he was trying to get to us and was wimpering a bit. I don't know if this is going to be effective enough though...

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Uh-oh, this is not good.

Every time Kaedyn lunges, grab a watter bottle and spray him a few times. If he ignores it, I think time out would be the best thing.

Maybe try some obedience training. Or just make sure to keep him around dogs alot, to socialize him a bit.

Good luck!
    I've been BOO'd!

What triggers the attacking? Are there toys around? Food? Treats?

Does it start as play and escalate?

Does it come totally out of nowhere?

I wouldn't leave them alone together unsupervised for at least a few months. I don't know what your situation is when everyone leaves the house, but I would have Kaedyn crated in a different room.

Also, I wouldn't allow Kaedyn on any furniture until this problem is solved.

Where do both dogs sleep at night?
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

"What triggers the attacking? Are there toys around? Food?Treats?"
    -As far as I know, just excitement. They're good about recieving treats, praise and toys.

"Does it start as play and escalate?"
    -nope. When kaedyn went for kai, kai was just working with me on obedience. Kaedyn got a bit excited because I was doing heel but walking fairly fast.

"Does it come totally out of nowhere?"
    -yes, so far

Where do both dogs sleep at night?
    Both dogs sleep downstairs with the choice of my room, my brother's room, the kitchen or the living room. All doors are open for them to access. I'm going to seperate them tonight though.

Kai seems to still be a bit fearful with him but he's gotten a bit better. He gladly sat beside him when I was offering treats.

I wish I could see it in person. Its hard to know unless you can see it firsthand.

My advice would be to supervise closely for awhile and see if you can find any rhyme or reason to it. It might just be an adjustment issue.
    Alyson

I was thinking, could Kaedyn be threatened by Kai? I forgot to mention that Kai is unaltered (will be neutered in the next week or so) and Kaedyn has just been neutered. Kai doesn't show any dominancy...but I was thinking maybe kaedyn is threatened because for one, kai is unaltered. And two, he's quite a bit bigger..

Ahhh yup, that is a likely cause.

Good luck Kai on the *BIG SNIP*!
    Alyson

I was disturbed and surprised yesterday to see our sweet Buddy acting quite mean towards my sister's dog Molly. She's also a shepherd mix, and a little heavier and more solid than Buddy. Molly comes over almost every day, and she and Buddy always play well together.

Yesterday though when my brother and I were doing some work in the yard with the dogs out there, Buddy almost looked like he was attacking Molly. Looked like he was trying to bite her throat. Maybe it was just rough play but it is uncharacteristic of him to be so aggressive.

I wonder if he still considers Molly to be some kind of threat to his territory. They play well inside the house, and usually do outside. I don't know what to make of it, but I guess we should keep a closer eye on them when they play alone in the yard.