Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clothes Dryers and Laundry Lines

Clothes Dryers and Laundry Lines

I have often wondered about this issue. When I moved into my house, I bought a clothes line to hang clothes to dry (in case some of our younger PTers didn't know). I hang my clothes from April to November. The comments I have received range from "How Earth Friendly/Cool" to "Is your dryer broken"?

Do any of you hang your clothes? Why? Why not? I would like to hear the reasons behind why you do, or why you don't!

Of course, and I'm a younger memeber!!!

I hang everything but my personals (just can't do it, lol) I love hanging my blankets out, they smell so much more clean then when you dry them with a machine. I also think they are softer

I acctaully wash my blankets morei nthe summer then the winter cause I love the fresh smell of them when they are brought in from the line mmm. I'm gonna go wash my blanket.........

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I'm in a condo so I don't have that luxury. I cat-sit for a retired couple who go away frequently and they have a house with a clothes line. I take every opportunity to use it during the good weather. There's just no comparison with the way the clothes smell. Plus it's an energy-saver.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Neat thread! I always used to LOVE to hang things outside. I did it for years! There is nothing like snuggling in bed at night under sheets that have that heavenly clean crisp smell of the great outdoors! Unfortunately, though, I have accidentally brought a few ticks in on the clothes over the years so I gave up my clothesline. I really really do miss it though.

I do a bit of both. I hang it up if I don't need it right away but being me, I usually wash and dry my clothes at the last possible second when I need them.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

I LOVE hanging my clothes outside. They smell and feel so good when you bring them inside. It seems to be an old trend that is dying out these days. I don't see clothes on the lines as much as I use too. In fact I don't see that many clotheslines anymore.
    I think people are just in too much of a hurry these days or just couldn't be bothered. Who knows, but each to their own.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

We used to hang our clothes to dry outside all the time when we first moved in this house. But when we brought in the clothes sometimes there'd be some bugs on our laundry. We don't hang Laundry out to dry anymore.
    Don't Delay Neuter or Spay!! Ringo Rocks!

Since I live in a condo I can't hang anything outside. I do hang dry a few items in my bedroom or bathroom though.

My house had a single clothes line when I first moved in
    and yes, I've used it many times. Mostly for throw rugs & the
    heavier items that I don't want to machine dry. It really came
    in handy over Labor day weekend.Indy had 7 in. of rain in just
    24 hours & most basements flooded. Since I had a zillion rugs
    scattered around the basement & family room, I hung them all
    out to dry out till washed. Then hung them all out clean to dry
    again. My neighbor says she's jealous of my clothes line.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't hang things out. I'm lazy and hate carrying laundry all over the place. I'm weird because I don't like line dried towels and am not crazy about sheets other than the smell. I like soft stuff and line dried stuff is too scratchy for me. Hey, at least I'm honest!! lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

We did until Timber found it fun to tear the clothes down and drag them across the yard.
    I've been BOO'd!

Nope. No Way. Uh-uh. Not gonna happen.

I *refuse* to hang my clothes outside.

Why do I feel so strongly?? Because my ENTIRE life at home was doing laundry and hanging it out for FIVE people. In 110 degree weather to -15 degree weather. If it started to rain, I had to lug it in, only to have it clear off 20 minutes later and have to go hang everything back out again. The part that really burned was that my two older brothers were allowed to go out and play, but because I was a "girl" I had to do their laundry. Same thing with ironing.

Sorry...I'm off my soapbox now. But thanks for asking!!

I NEVER use the dryer (except to fulff towels). Its so hot here in summer that the stuff dries an about 20 minutes

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

I don`t have a dryer, they are quite expensive to run and as there is just me with a little planning drying isn`t such a big problem. I love hanging washing out in the warm weather, not so much fun in wet weather and the winter though! I have an pulley clothes rack in my kitchen that I use then.

BTW, my washing machine broke down two weeks ago so I am washing by hand! I`d quite forgotten what NOT fun that is! Can`t call the repairman out until this coming Friday (pension pay day) but keeping my fingers crossed it can be repaired yet again (it is 15 years old!)

Originally posted by rg_girlca
    I LOVE hanging my clothes outside. They smell and feel so good when you bring them inside. It seems to be an old trend that is dying out these days. I don't see clothes on the lines as much as I use too. In fact I don't see that many clotheslines anymore.
    I think people are just in too much of a hurry these days or just couldn't be bothered. Who knows, but each to their own.
    Here in the UK you will see lots of them, most people still line dry their washing even if they do have dryers, especially in the warm weather.