Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clothes Dryers and Laundry Lines

Originally posted by Cookiebaker
    Nope. No Way. Uh-uh. Not gonna happen.

I *refuse* to hang my clothes outside.

Why do I feel so strongly?? Because my ENTIRE life at home was doing laundry and hanging it out for FIVE people. In 110 degree weather to -15 degree weather. If it started to rain, I had to lug it in, only to have it clear off 20 minutes later and have to go hang everything back out again. The part that really burned was that my two older brothers were allowed to go out and play, but because I was a "girl" I had to do their laundry. Same thing with ironing.

Sorry...I'm off my soapbox now. But thanks for asking!!
    This is very similar to how my husband feels about raking leaves!! When he was a young boy at home there was a HUGE tree in his yard. Four or five people could hold hands and make a circle around that tree. That's how big around it was! Well hubby, being the only son, got the job each fall to rake those leaves! To this day he absolutely HATES leaves. In fact I am basically in charge of the leaves but it's not so bad with a leaf blower (something that wasn't invented way back then ) and we now have a new mower with an awesome mulcher so our work will be even easier! (Sorry to go ranting off about leaves in a clothesline thread!)

Originally posted by mugsy
    I like soft stuff and line dried stuff is too scratchy for me. Hey, at least I'm honest!! lol
    Ahhh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I think the towels and jeans expecially are to hard & scratchy even with fabric softner, so I use my dryer (even though it's 15 yrs old and takes an hour to dry )

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

We had a clothes line here when I first bought this house. We took it down. The main reason is because my dogs would have a field day with my clothes. lol. Also, I think the sun tends to fade the clothes faster. And, I live in a freakin dust bowl. Nothing feels clean around here in the summer.

I hang my clothes out on the line if it's not raining and I like to air pillows and quilts on the line. I use the clothes dryer in winter, and give the bed linen a quick blast in the dryer to make sure all the cat hair is out It does a better job of fur removal than that lovely sunshine!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

I can just see my yard if I hung my clothes out--with these 4 dogs they would be all over the place

We often did it growing up, and my parents still do.

I guess living in dorms for a couple years and then apartments for another 7 makes me use the dryer just out of habit. I'm too lazy anyway--often I'm praying for the dryer to finish 5 minutes before I have to leave for work, and every article of clothing I need is in there!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by Miss Meow
    I use the clothes dryer in winter, and give the bed linen a quick blast in the dryer to make sure all the cat hair is out It does a better job of fur removal than that lovely sunshine!
    I do that, too! I always dry the duvet and the blanket over the couch that way...

I line dried for years until my doctor suggested not doing it for a bit and seeing how my allergies did. Well, 6 weeks later I was nearly allergy free. When you line dry, you bring in all the pollen and other allergens. I no longer even have a clothes line.

Originally posted by micki76
    When you line dry, you bring in all the pollen and other allergens.
    OH GOODIE!!! Now I have an excuse not to line dry. Mike has allergies!! lol

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

When I was living at home, my mother hung clothes on the line in good weather. I also hung them out when I was married and home all day. We don't have a line here, I do have a wooden rack that I sometimes use. That is the closest I come to line drying.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I have a wooden rack that I use in the house for shrinkables, but I don't hang things outside. It seems every time I do that, I bring my clothes in with a bug on them!!! Also, I don't like my clothes to be "crispy".. I'm with mugsy and Anna on this one.. give me warm, fluffy laundry any day!!

Originally posted by Felicia's Mom
    I do have a wooden rack that I sometimes use. That is the closest I come to line drying.

We aren't allowed to have clothes lines in our town. Amazing some things the local government wants to legislate. I too have a wooden rack which I occasionally will put out on the deck in warm weather. The clothes line police probably wouldn't like that either, but as long as the neighbors don't complain, I'm okay.

I am fairly obscessive about how I dry my clothes. With the outer garments, it is generally only a few minutes in the dryer and then hung on the wooden rack, folded in a specific manner. When my husband does it, it is not right, and I have to come around and rehand most of the items on the rack.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

No clothes lines r allowed in this community, of the city of ottawa.... & u can't paint ur house just any colour, u can't park ur car on the front lawn/grass, can't have a junker where it can been seen from the road, can't have a trailor where it can be seen from the road, can't spit for any reason (including bugs, mucus cause ur sick), can't swear & god knows what other stupid by-laws r in this community.

I guess it depends on where you live. I love the smell and feel of my grandmother's line dried clothes. She lives in southern CA and gets a continual nice ocean breeze in her back yard.

I'd like to hang my clothes outside, but it's too hot and humid here with really no breeze. The last time I tried it, the clothes smelled awful because of the humidity and they were all scratchy.

I do still hang all my delicated and hand washables inside. Actually there are very few things I do put in the dryer...just towels, jeans, t-shirts and pajammas...everything else gets hung.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I don't close line...and i guess i just never thought to since i have lived on my own. We used to at home, as my mom said, but we also brought in a few caterpillars on the clothes...and i can't stand caterpillars!! Besides all of the pollen that would settle on the clothes...i am highly allergic to pollen...so even though i love the smell of fresh laundry from the clothes line, i probably won't be doing much, if any, of it...not to mention i have a 2 year old running around, who keeps me very busy...it is just quicker to throw it in the dryer

Does it count that i have wall border in my laundry room, that has pics of laundry hanging out in the sunshine??

I use the dryer because I live in a subdivision and the bylaws don't allow clothes lines- and I'm thankful for that.
    I also think things feel "crinkly" if dried outside. But, I hang dry many things inside.