Thread: Fatty Liver Disease?

Fatty Liver Disease?

Anyone have any experience with this? My friend at work has a kitty, Tabby, 5 year old, spayed, indoor girlie.

My friend noticed that Tabby seemed to be eating less, was lethargic, and not acting herself. So, to the vet they went on Friday.

The vet told her according to the bloodwork, Tabby is in complete liver failure, but, to look at Tabby, it doesn't seem like that.

So, my friend comes home, thinks about things, and researches on the net. She seems to think Tabby has Fatty Liver Disease. She has been a recent 'victim' of stress (new kitten), a change in foods, is jaundiced, and lethargic. According to the research, this = fatty liver.

Anyone know anything I could pass along to my friend? She is obviously very concerned about Tabby, and needs some prayers coming to Tabby and her way! Her name is Melissa.

Hmmm I wonder if it's the same as Fatty Liver in humans because I've recently been told that I have Fatty Liver but that is was not serious and it's not a disease.

Speckles is not in complete liver failure but her liver is starting to deteriorate and she has been put on a low protein diet, and to look at her you'd never know. When you say that Melissa has had a change in diet what food is she eating now? Stress to a kitty can do really strange things and I know with Max, the slightest bit of stress and he get a UTI.

I know Debbie (T & P) gives Tubby a 1/4 Pepcid tab for his liver and I'm wondering if that would help. You may want to PM her on that one as well as get your friend to ask the vet.

Prayers going out to Melissa.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks, Slick.
    I will pm Debbie. Good wishes for your condition, too!

I sent you a PM on this...yes...pretty serious. Well...very serious.

Hepatic Lipodosis is Fatty Liver Disease.

some websites

http://www.eattheapple.com/sandra/

http://www.penmarric.ns.ca/catcare/h...fattyliver.htm

I found these two sites on this disease. But basically if it has been caught early enough it is reversible but....she must force food.....it is the cornerstone of recovery.

Denyce

Johanna, I'm so sorry to hear about this. My RB Pepper had this the first time that he became very sick. He had stopped eating and drinking and was very jaundiced. He was 4 at the time. I had to leave him at my vets for about a week while they force fed him and put him on IV fluids. Luckily he bounced back so I was able to have him for a little over a full year before he became sick again with an unknown illness. I think that if a cat stops eating for several days that this really affects their liver so they then get this disease. Luckily in young cats the liver can usually become healthy again.

Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent to your friend and Melissa. Please keep us updated.

Hi, my prayers are going out for your friends kitty. My cat Silver had an episode of fatty liver about a year ago when she was 13. My only clue was she stopped eating suddenly. Two days without eating and off the vet she went. This wasn't a really serious episode, her numbers were up just a little, but they said to force feed her because sometimes the kitty will just 'forget' to eat once they stop. I did and she regained her healthy appetite after just two days. Good luck!

Hi, the only thing I can say about this is that during Gigi's illness, she stopped eating on many occasions - this was one of the symptoms of the cancer. One time she did not eat for 10 days and when I took her to the vet he said that she may have fatty liver disease. However, she did not have it but the vet explained that it is something that develops from not eating for long periods of time. The cat then forgets how to eat and actually doesn't want food - it is almost like they do not recognise food. Usually if you force feed them they soon remember once again and start eating naturally. This may not be much help to you but I hope everything goes well.
    JulieG