Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Catching a stray?

She is adorable!! I hope you find someone to take her before the dog warden gets his hands on her!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Isn't she cute? Any guesses on what breed or mix she might be?

I expect to be off from work tomorrow so now I will be worried about her. We'll see what happens Friday.

If she is still there next week I will have to notify the campus newspaperstaff and see if they want to run her picture in the hope that someone can catch her, and take her to a good home.

Awww, I shouldn't have looked at her picture. She made my heart ache! I hope you are able to catch her! Keep us posted.

I do feel kind of attached to her. I'm going to miss her when she's gone.

Fortunately I have my Buddy.

When I was giving the doggie some treats before work this morning a lady came by and asked how long I had been feeding "him." I said i think she is a "her." In any case, I'm not sure if this lady works here or what but she said she hopes to catch the dog so she can take her home! I think that is good news. Someone wants to adopt her. But no one can get their hands on the dog. She is just too skittish.

The lady I spoke with said the shelter told her they have been trying to catch the dog for a year! Hard to believe. I have only seen the doggie around here for the last 10 days or so.

Is it possible a vet would prescribe a tranquilizer or something to get the dog to sleep so someone could take her? Seems awful for her to have to live outdoors in all kinds of weather for the rest of her life.

Have you tried to borrow a dog trap from a rescue group?

If you can find one, tie the door open for a day or two and put her food in the far end. She'll eat and leave. Then you can untie the door, she'll go in to eat and the trap will close. No pain, no bites, no noose.

Mary

Mary, you read my mind. Our Animal Control and SPCA have traps that they will loan out. That's what I would try.

I just watched a show about catching a stray on Animal Planet. They tried for over 2 years to catch a stray GSD, then they got some people to come out with a tranquilizer gun and catch her.

The dog is so pretty - and she has such a sweet expression. I hope you catch her and she finds a home.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Campus police said the dog warden told them they would set up traps, but they apparently have not done so yet. I guess I could call the Humane Society again and see if I could take their traps, if they have them. But they also told me this was a job for the dog warden. I just can't believe it's taking so long for them to act.

If I were able to catch her now there would be a bit of a dilemma: If I bring her to the shelter I'm afraid she may not last long. But I don't know the name or phone number of this lady who said she would like to adopt her. Otherwise I would be glad to let the lady have her.

I've never really dealt with stray dogs that are skittish, so I'm far from an expert...but just a thought. Wouldn't trapping her cause her to trust humans even less? If you used some type of relaxant or tranquilizer from the vet, she wouldn't remember what happened, so she would be less likely to mistrust humans. What do you all think?

Good news....

... I hope. I was stunned to see a female student playing with the dog today. Apparently this young woman has gained the doggie's trust, and hopes to take her to a no-kill shelter tomorrow. I just hope the dog makes it another 24 hours. The last I saw of her she had run into the street again.

The student said police told her the dog probably had been abused and abandoned. She doesn't like men, but let this woman touch her and play with her. I just hope the dog trusts her enough and allows herself to be taken to the shelter. If someone adopts her, the doggie will be a good pet. This young woman has named her "Daisy." Let's hope for the best.

Good luck to Daisy. I hope this girl can catch her and get her to a safe place. Perhaps that woman that you talked to will appear and you can tell her and SHE can take poor Daisy. She really is adorable. Mike agreed that trapping her wouldn't be the best choice because if it failed you would never get her. Wish the girl luck for me. Does she already have a place for her to go?

mugsy-- This student wants to take the dog to Animal Haven in North Haven, CT. They are a no-kill shelter. I hope she can get her there.

I checked out the Dogtown website. I wish I could adopt all those dogs. Their Colin bears a striking resemblance to my handsome Buddy. It's like they are long lost brothers.

BB- good luck to the other girl! Thanks for keeping us updated, we really care!

Good news, finally

OK, looks like "Daisy" is on her way to Animal Haven. I'm going to miss her, but I am pleased and relieved she won't be living outside anymore. The young woman who befriended her yesterday was there today, as promised. She got a collar on the dog, and took her to her car.

The dog apparently has bad gums, and fleas. They will clean her up and take care of her at the shelter. Then hopefully they will find her a good home.

It was good to see that a lot of people brought the dog food, tried to play with her, and help her out. Wish I could have taken her but it just wasn't an option. She should be OK now though.