Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Catching a stray?

Catching a stray?

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a stray dog to the nearest shelter.

I feel so helpless when I see this pretty dog roaming around near the college campus where I work. She's been around several days, and there have been other strays on campus in the past. I called univ. police and they told me they've tried to catch her but they can't. The local dog warden is aware of the situation and they were going to try to set up traps but either haven't yet, or couldn't get her anyway.

Meanwhile I saw the dog near my building yesterday and approached her. I think she is a she anyway. Hard to tell. She barked at me but did not try to jump on me or bite me. I tried speaking to her in soothing tones. Then she ran away again. I brought some biscuits and treats with me today hoping I can gain her trust, and keep her around long enough until I call the shelter, which is just a couple of blocks away.

In the meantime I feel so bad that this poor doggie has no one to feed or take care of her. And there's not much anything can do for her. I just hope animal control can find her and get her into a good home maybe.

Winning her trust will take time, and in the mean time see if you can find a no kill shelter or rescue that would be willing to take her. Treats are always good. You might bring a bowl and feed her too. Good luck and let us know.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

It will just take time!!
    My Buddy was a stray in the woods, and it took the APL 2 weeks to catch him!!!
    If they didn't keep on trying..... I wouldn't have his big goofy butt with me today!!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

PitC-- You have a Buddy too? So do I. Though that is the name he came with. We adopted him as an adult so someone else gave him that name.

I did not see the stray yesterday. Maybe the dog warden was able to get her. I hate to think of her out there today. There is heavy rain and winds from our getting some of the effects of Isabel.

Well she's still out there! Animal control either has not tried to catch her or they have failed. In any case the dog seems to be in reasonably good health. I think a lot of people are feeding her. It's been 5 or 6 days now since I first saw her.

I did my good deed on Sat. by coming up here to check on her. When I saw she was still around I bought some liver treats and a bottle of water to give her. She seemed grateful for both. At one point I told her to "sit" before giving her a snack and she did. So someone trained her at one point. She still won't let me pet her though.

I am wondering if I should call my vet and see if he knows of some rescue organization that would move faster than the local dog warden. Or I even thought of calling the local newspaper to see if they would want to run a story about this stray who seems to be turning into a permanent fixture around here. I'm actually going to miss her when she's gone, I think.

I would do whatever it takes to get some publicity and help. Starting with your vet is a good idea.

Good luck!!!!

I am wondering if I should somehow coax this doggie into my car and drive her to the shelter! It's just a couple of blocks away. But I don't think she would let me touch her. Only time I can get close is when I'm feeding her the liver snacks.

She is so cute. I see that others have given her food but I wondered if she needed water too, so I bought a bottle for her and just filled up a plastic cup. I suppose I should buy one of those portable/collapsible water dishes. Of course if my Buddy knew I was doing all this for a stranger dog be would be jealous.

Keep in mind that if your shelter is anything like most animal controls in the country the dog will be put down if you take her there. I would try to find a home for her yourself and then see if you can't get her. If nothing else you could try and trap her when you find a safe place for her.

>Keep in mind that if your shelter is anything like most animal >controls in the country the dog will be put down if you take her >there.

I hadn't thought much about that. I sort of assumed the first priority of places like that was to get the animals adopted. Now I feel guilty.

I tried calling a "no kill" shelter in the area but they are closed today. I will try tomorrow and hope maybe they can come and get her.

Well, because they take in so many, they end up euthanizing more than they adopt. I would try and contact as many people as possible. See if any of your friends would want her. I would take her, but we are maxed. Perhaps someone on Pet Talk could take her.....HINT HINT!!

She's still out there. Cute as ever. I took a pic of her with my digital camera and will post it when I get home, if I have a chance.

I gave her some more water this morning, and some liver treats. I think later today I will call the city councilman from this ward and ask if he can do anything to get the shelter to act faster. The dog has been out there at least 8 days now.

She seems to trust me more but she still won't let me touch her, much less get into my car. Since I've been giving her some food, I hope she does not feel the need to roam as much. I'd hate to see her wander into the street. But my boss saw her crossing the street yesterday and the dog actually seems to know enough to wait for the traffic! Amazing.

I keep referring to her just as "the dog." Maybe I ought to give her a name soon.

Give her a name and you'll take her home!! lol Good luck. I wish I could take her, but, alas, I can't.

Hey, I know what you are going through. We had a stray hunting dog that came up to our house twice for food, but we never could get her to stay. We have no idea what has happened to her, it's been weeks since she stopped by last. And then there is another stray down the road a few miles that we have been trying to catch, but he runs before we can get out of the car good. We know the little thing is starving, and we are taking food, but we don't know who's getting it. It is so heartbreaking.
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

OK, here is her picture, I hope. I will try to attach it to this message. Let me know if it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Someone must be missing her! She’s so beautiful! She actually does look well cared for, so I would think that someone might actually be looking for a lost pet. Unless, of course she was dumped there.