Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I don't get some peaple.......

Love pits!!!!!

Bull is a pit/lab mix and is the best dog outta the 3. My landlord is very anti-pit but doesn't have a single problem with Bull. I let him meet Bull before I told him what he was.
    Bull has turn my future father-in-law and aunt's opinions of pits. Now Daddy Dave just loves on Bull. Aunt Mary even took in two abused pits : Jessie, small black 5 month old, who still has the scars from the cigerett burns on her and Butch, tan 10 month old who's previous owners tried to cut his throat luckily the only thing he came out of that with was a scar.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Um, yes, I know they used breaking sticks, but how do you think they get them in the dog's mouths? Their hands are right there.

Moving on... and back to the point... I heart pit bulls.

Amen.

Yes and those hands belong to the owners or people they know and are familiar with. Do you really think anyone could just go and break up a dog fight?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

What's with the rolling eyes?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Originally posted by Kfamr
    What's with the rolling eyes?

The smilies are there for a reason, to be used. If they annoy you so much perhaps you can request that they be removed. The rolling eyes, was exactly that, rolling my eyes for a very uneducated comment!
    Last edited by luckies4me; 09-15-2003 at 08:42 PM.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Check your PM's, since this isn't the subject at hand.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I responded.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

We went up to Petsmart one day,and they were doing this thing where they took the dogs from the shelter and walked the around for people to adopt them.There was this Pitbull and he was so sweet!His name was Pyro.I just wanted to take him home!

He was pretty Young to,and he was in a shelter!along with this other very sweet dog that I also wish I could take,but she ,thankfully,found a home. I don't think that Pyro did!All these people were talking about how nice and how sweet his face looked.Oh I wish I had tookin pics of him. I bet he found a home though!

Got a need for speed, and a passion for barrel racing.

You've never ridden a horse until you've fallen off.

Adopt one until theres none.

Originally posted by Andie
    Love pits!!!!!

Bull has turn my future father-in-law and aunt's opinions of pits. Now Daddy Dave just loves on Bull. Aunt Mary even took in two abused pits : Jessie, small black 5 month old, who still has the scars from the cigerett burns on her and Butch, tan 10 month old who's previous owners tried to cut his throat luckily the only thing he came out of that with was a scar.

Oh,thats great! I'm glad that they survived! I don't see how anyone could do such a thing!

Got a need for speed, and a passion for barrel racing.

You've never ridden a horse until you've fallen off.

Adopt one until theres none.

OK, those hands belong to people they trust... then what about pre-fight when they wash the other person's dog?

Please, don't call me uneducated because you have a misconstrued notion of the pit bull's temperment.

I have no more comments on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by manda99
    OK, those hands belong to people they trust... then what about pre-fight when they wash the other person's dog?

Please, don't call me uneducated because you have a misconstrued notion of the pit bull's temperment.

I have no more comments on this.

I could care less if someone else washed them, not all fighting dogs are that way. Period. Most are unsafe towards humans and other pets after they have been fought, that is the simple truth. Yes I am sure many could be great pets, but I do not agree with them being placed and having a chance of ending up back on the streets. It is something I feel strongly about! If you didn't read I said I am involved with pit bull rescue and help my friend Kait rescue these dogs. We may be fostering one of the bullies from SARA, a non profit organization that helps rescue pit bulls and other hard to place type dogs. I have seen several ex fighting dogs with excellent temperaments, and I have seen the tragedies as well. One that I know of is a pit who was baited with rabbits, cats, and puppies. That dog was adopted, having no problems, but once in the new owners home went after her cat, killing him instantly by breaking his neck, left her two rabbits in pieces, and then tried to go for her. This was a dog who passed all the adoption tests.

Most of these dogs were starved, therefor they have food agression as well. *I* was almost attacked but I got out of the kennel just in time, when I was going to take the bowl away, like we do after each feeding time, because the dog was food agressive. That was what we did at Crossroads, we trained mostly agressive dogs, which was my job ( I was most often the guinea pig, which was scary), but we also did socialization, potty and crate training puppies, clicker training, agility etc.

So again, I have a LOT of experience with pitbulls, even though I have never owned one myself. I have had neighbors who fought their dogs, a matter of fact there is a man a few houses down the street from my mothers in Whittier, that reguarly fights his dogs. His dogs wander the street and have already mutilated several dogs, cats, and birds. He was trained to do this. We and several other neighbors have contacted the local Humane Society but they will not do anything about it. The Downey Humane Society is one of the worst places a dog could go, and I would never wish it in the world to any dog I know. I would rather my dog be hit by a car, then end up in the Downey pound.

But then, I have also seen the sweet side of these dogs. Agressive pit bulls were few and far between while working at Crossroads, however almost all of them were dog agressive, even though they were never fought. I cannot recall how many times the pitbulls got out and fought at that place, which is one of the reasons I quit, because their kennel sucked, although they were great trainers. Some I refused to have anything to do with because they were inhumane to the pets, and some even went as far as almost killing a labrador, who they put a shock collar on.

Most responsible breeders of pitbulls even state on their website that most of the time these dogs will show agression towards other dogs.

I have worked with SEVERAL pit bulls as a trainer at Crossroads, my neighbors next door had a very beautiful sweet girl pit who was fabulous, my old roomate had a pit which I lived with for a year, and he got along great with other pets etc and people.

BUT, we are talking about fighting dogs, NOT family pets! There is a difference. I know how the pit bull terrier breed is, they are loving family dogs just like any other dog can be, and I like them a heck of a lot more than most of the other breeds out there, which is why I plan to get one in the future when Dylan is older, and we have the time and money and patience to work with one and properly raise the dog. So again, like I have repeated several times, I never said I have ANYTHING wrong with the breed! I LOVE pits, if bred responsibly and raised by a caring owner they make fabulous pets.

NOW, lets just agree to dissagree on fighting dogs, but agree that pitbulls are a wonderful breed and can make awesome pets when raised in the right home, by a caring owner, and socialized with both humans and other pets at a young age, like ALL dogs! If we must talk about this more there is a handy feature on Pet Talk, called a Private Message, PM, which came in really handy for Kayann and I.

Now with that being said, I think your dog is very cute and a real looker! And of course who could resist an Orangey!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major