Thread: I'm confused about something..O_O

I'm confused about something..O_O

Are alaskan malamutes and huskies the same? They seem like the same breed of dog...o_O; I've always been confused about this. ><

nope

malamute:

Husky:

it took me a while to be able to tell the differnce but now I can tell the differnce on sight lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Could you describe the differences? I've always wondered what the difference was I know that they are seperate breeds, but to me they look exactly the same.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

actually my mom told me the differnces like 2 years ago, I dont remeber them, I can just tell them apart when I see them lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Alaskan malamutes are bigger and stockier than huskies. Their tails curl over their backs. Their ears are shorter and rounder than a huskies. Generally they don't have blue eyes, although it can happen (it is a disqualifying fault though). Their coat is also generally more plush than a husky.

Alaskan Malamute standard

Size, Proportion, Substance
    There is a natural range in size in the breed. The desirable freighting sizes are males, 25 inches at the shoulders, 85 pounds; females, 23 inches at the shoulders, 75 pounds. However, size consideration should not outweigh that of type, proportion, movement and other functional attributes. When dogs are judged equal in type, proportion, movement, the dog nearest the desirable freighting size is to be preferred. The depth of chest is approximately one half the height of the dog at the shoulders, the deepest point being just behind the forelegs. The length of the body from point of shoulder to the rear point of pelvis is longer than the height of the body from ground to top of the withers. The body carries no excess weight, and bone is in proportion to size.
    Siberian Husky standard

Size, Proportion, Substance
    Height--Dogs, 21 to 23½ inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers. Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height. The measurements mentioned above represent the extreme height and weight limits with no preference given to either extreme. Any appearance of excessive bone or weight should be penalized. In profile, the length of the body from the point of the shoulder to the rear point of the croup is slightly longer than the height of the body from the ground to the top of the withers. Disqualification--Dogs over 23½ inches and bitches over 22 inches.

*Thanks Ashley*

Thanks. xD

Mals are freight dogs. Sibes are speed dogs. Mals tend to be more dog aggressive, especially to the same sex, than huskies are. I have both--none of the mals can live as a pack dog. they are selective about their buddies.

My malamute, Heyoka, who is way over breed standard for weight. He's technically a giant, although the giants aren't recognized by any kennel club.

One of my purebred sibes--Bandit, who is a show quality husky, who's never been shown!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Originally posted by Glacier

One of my purebred sibes--Bandit, who is a show quality husky, who's never been shown!

But, Bandit IS a show dog! You Show Bandit to us at PT... and we couldn't be more happy that you do!

Originally posted by LoudLou
    But, Bandit IS a show dog! You Show Bandit to us at PT... and we couldn't be more happy that you do!
    LOL But it's true

Liga(me),Carreras(gordon setter),Simba(the cat),Felix(bun),Aisha & Nila(ratties),Ellie(guinea piggy)