Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD BAD day....My Dane attacked my Boxer.

Hybrid View

BAD BAD day....My Dane attacked my Boxer.

I don't know what we are going to do, My Great Dane attacked my Boxer today. He went right for the neck. I belive that if someone wasn't home to break it up, Brock would have killed Tuffy. We had to pull and kick him off, he was not going to let go.
    Tuffys hurt, but he will be ok. Brock is fenced off in anotherr part of the yard and Tuffys here with me.

My husband say Brock has to go, this is the second time he' done this to Tuffy. I don't want to have to give up my Brock, I love him so much. But Tuffy shouldn't have to suffer also.

They grew up toghter and were best buddys for 3 years and then last year Brock attacked Tuffy, BAD. We hoped it was a one time thing and have done everything to keep them appart, just in case. We rotate the dogs in the yard so they each get their time with us and house yard time. Brock been fenced off in one area for the past year and Tuffy another, hoping they out grow this or something. Today though Brock dug under the fence and my poor meter reader lady had to get caught up in the middle of it.

Brock is a great dog and does wonderful with all the other dogs, male and female, just not Tuffy. He even like the chickens and never harms them. Something about Tuffy though.

I had to contact Dane rescue today, just in case we have no other chose. It killed me to do it, I can't stop crying. But what can I do? It's not right for Tuffy to have to suffer because of Brock. But to give up a loved one, how can anyone do it. I have never giving up a pet before, I'm the the one people come to when they need to give up their pets. I just don't know what to do.

Tuffy looks so bad laying here, his neck all tore up. No big wounds that goodness but he will be sacred, i'm sure.

That is so sad to hear and I don't know what to tell you. I can't imagine having to give up a dog that I loved. Do you think he might need to be in a household where he's the only dog? I know you must be really upset. I would be, too.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

This is such sad news. I will be thinking of you and hoping that you will be able find a solution to this awful situation.
    Oreo and Molly

I am so sorry to hear this.

I'm glad there are no serious injuries, but it's still awful that their had to be such a bad fight.
    Would a behaviorist be able to help you at all? Maybe he or she could see Brock and asses him for you. I would try to pull out all the stops first, but if it is rehoming him that you have to do, I know how hard it will be, but you are doing the unselfish thing for both dogs.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Are both dogs fixed?

Can you look into a behaviorist?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Originally posted by ramanth
    Are both dogs fixed?

Can you look into a behaviorist?
    Tuffy hasn't been fixed, but he not the attacker, and the vet seem to belive that fixing Tuffy won't help. Honestly if we thought that would help, we do it in a sec. But Tuffy is a Stud dog for a breeder in our area, main reason he hasn't been fixed yet.

As for the behaviorist, first I can't even see my husband going for that idea, he thinks they are all nuts. Then theres the money part, awhile back ago we where on vaction and someone broke into our home cleaned us out and then damamged the house, we are still trying to catch up on those bills, repaires replacing items etc. Insurance didn't even cover half of what was done to our home. I have no idea how much a Behaviorist would cost but I'm sure it's not cheap.

As for Brock being in a home where he the only dog, we have 5 other dogs and Brock is great with them. He even puts up with my MinPin nipping at his feet, so I don't belive that is the problem. He really is a gentle dog, except when it comes to Tuffy.

I don't know how some people can do this so easy, just give up a dog. All day I've been tied up in knots about just the thought of giving him up. Who knows what it going to be like if and when it really happens.

Fox, I am so sorry about your predicament. I have been there twice, so I totally know how you feel.

First, I had Rosco, a sharpei-pit mix. Rosco was the gentlest sweetest dog towards everything and everyone. I picked up a queensland heeler pup off of the side of the road and decided to keep him instead of rehoming him. I named him Ricki. I had Ricki until he was probably 7-9 months old. I totally loved him, but he was so cruel to Rosco. No matter what I did or tried, he intimidated Rosco so bad that Rosco wouldn't eat even separately. When they were together, Ricki "guarded" the toys, the dog houses, the pee spot on the lawn...etc... Ricki's qwest all day long was to attack Rosco if Rosco came near any of that stuff. My heart ached, but I rehomed Ricki to a farm. Once Ricki was in a single dog home with lots of running space, he was a different dog. I honestly believe that Ricki was lashing out because he was unhappy. All though it hurt, I do not regret rehoming Ricki.

Rosco wound up having bum luck. He had a broken leg, Parvo, ear and skin problems all by the time he was two. I don't know what happened, but he became extremely aggressive and uncontrollable towards boys. He was so strong that he would go through all costs to attack a child. It was such a horrible feeling because this dog was so wonderful and gentle to my family and our small pets. He was so mellow. -Even 95% of the time, he would be gentle towards boys. But he was unpredictable. There were about 8 attempted attacks all spaced months apart. The first and the last attack actually caused injury. After behaviorists, extensive TLC, and training, I was in the process of rehoming him. I was being really picky and undecisive about his new home because it'd been like 6 months since Rosco had shown any sign of aggression.

One day, we were getting ready to go somewhere. I had Rosco tied up to a tree with a huge chain and a pinch choke collar on while I was loading up the crate in the truck. Rosco broke the tree, broke through the fence, and took off running. I was calling Rosco and walking towards him. (I didn't want to run and scare him. I knew he was in one of his psycho spells, which I hadn't seen in months.) Right then, the neighbor kid whom Rosco had been nice and played with all of his life came outside. This was one of the only kids that I still allowed Rosco around. (With my supervision, of course.) Rosco stopped in his tracks, ran straight towards the kid and I. I could see that Rosco wasn't himself. Rosco went straight for the kid's neck and knocked the child on the ground. I was able get Rosco off of the child before any permanent physical damage was done. Of course, this child will always be emotionally scared. Rosco was so muscular that it took all of my strength. As soon as I pulled him off, he knew he'd done wrong and was a sweet doggy again. After taking care of the child, I sat in the house with Rosco and bawled. Rosco laid in my lap and licked my face for hours while tears streamed down my face. I can't even tell you how much pain I felt. I was so scared. It is such a horrible feeling to love and trust your dog, and then see this monster come out. I decided that I did not want to rehome Rosco. I was afraid that someone might not take me seriously. Rosco was so wonderful most of the time, that they might trust him to much. I put Rosco to sleep that day. To this day, it hurts so bad. And I am not sure if it was the right decision.

Gosh, I wrote a novel and got totally off track. I'm sorry. Your situation just brought up alot of feeling that I have. Anyways, I feel your pain. I feel that you should do something about it before it gets out of hand. You'll feel horrible if something happens to your other dog. I believe that if he's attacking the other dog, that he obviously isn't happy about something. If some TLC can't fix it, I bet he'll be happy in a single dog family. You just might be lucky enough to rehome him with some folks that'll allow you to keep in touch. I still see Ricki all the time. Good luck in your decision. -Tonya

Originally posted by Fox-Gal
    Tuffy hasn't been fixed, but he not the attacker, and the vet seem to belive that fixing Tuffy won't help. Honestly if we thought that would help, we do it in a sec. But Tuffy is a Stud dog for a breeder in our area, main reason he hasn't been fixed yet.
    Actually, fixing Tuffy might help. Right now Brock may see Tuffy as a threat.

Sorry if you have to give Brock away.
    I've been BOO'd!

Wow, Tonya... your story made me tear up. I'm sorry sorry to hear about your problems, but I do think you made the right decision regardless of how hard it was to do. I don't know what else to say besides I'm sorry and to offer you a long-distance hug.

Thank you, Samantha.

Actually, fixing Tuffy might help. Right now Brock may see Tuffy as a threat.
    I agree, Fox. I would try that before I gave up if I were you.

That's really sad. I hope you can find a loving home for Brock. I wonder what sets him off like that?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

What a tough decision to be in...but ultimatly you have to do what is right for the dogs. It isn't fair to keep on dog in jepordary and sometimes rehoming is the right answer.

I was just talking to a friend yesterday about a friend of hers that had 3 dals. All 3 gre up together and got along for many years. Suddenly the no longer did. They tried behavorits, etc, etc, but ultimately had to split the dogs up.

WOW, this is a very hard situation. It really appears to be something about Tuffy. I (as an amature) believe that it COULD be the hormones associated with the fact that he is not neutered. Could Tuffy live elsewhere until a time that he can be neutered and then at least TRY to see if the 2 can get along?

I would suggest a behaviorist and training before you get rid of him. I wish you the best. Having had to find a place for 9 of my dogs just a month ago I truly feel your pain. Good luck.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Tonya, that must have been horrible to have to go through. Giving up something you love like that is very hard. I know it's not the same situation but I had to have my cat put to sleep a while back and that was hard enough.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06