Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD BAD day....My Dane attacked my Boxer.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    WOW, this is a very hard situation. It really appears to be something about Tuffy. I (as an amature) believe that it COULD be the hormones associated with the fact that he is not neutered. Could Tuffy live elsewhere until a time that he can be neutered and then at least TRY to see if the 2 can get along?
    That's exactly what I think. The amount of testosterone Tuffy is distributing could greatly affect Brock's behaviour. Brock may see him as a threat to be rid of. I would think that neutering Tuffy would be the best idea.
    I've been BOO'd!

Tonya, your story really got to me, I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. Just the though that I might have to give up Brock kills me. But if the time comes where we have to give Brock up, I will remember your story and belive it will help, some. Thanks for sharing, just knowing that someone else feels my pain helps.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and advice.

This is where we are at as of tonight..... Husband broke down and says he can't get rid of Brock, thats his baby. Good news for me, I've been a basket case all day. So we are coming up with other ideas, so far we plan to put in another fence about a foot and half away from the one fence. This way Brock or Tuffy can't be close enough to reach each other. The second fence will be in the ground a foot, he says to help with the digging Brock does. And it looks like Tuffy will get fixed, in case that does have anything to do with it. Both dogs will get muzzles (for training only) and we will try to retrain them to get along. But I don't belive we will ever let the two be toghter alone as long as we have them....just in case. We just stick with the rotating of them,one in, one out as we have been doing this past year.

Any other advice/ideas, I will galdly take.....Thanks

Our pets are our children and we just can't get rid of one of our babies without tring what ever in our means to do. I guess in the heat ofthe moment my husband forgot that. Your children are not throw aways. I'll will go without, before them, thats what parents do, right.

Wish Brock and us luck, we really want this to work. We did decide that if it ever happens again after this, there will be no other chose, Brock will have to go.

I know this may sound harsh, but why not try an invisable fence? Do not buy the ones inb the store, the wire is too thin & will break with 1-3 yrs. The private invisible fence r good ones, the wire is much thicker & lasts much much longer. Also get Brock the heavey duty one.

The fence may act as a correction aswell. Everytime Brock wants to dig or attact the other dog, he will be warned & then zapped.

It just might work.

Fox-Gal, I would like to salute you and your husband for going to the extra effort to make this work. I'm sure there is loads of information out there on things like this, in books, on the internet, etc. Research, ask questions and follow through with your plan, and maybe it will all work out. I do hope so. I don't think either of them could ask for more caring "parents" (after all, you said they were your children).

Best of luck.
    Logan

I will say this, been there. When Mama Dog and Dixie Belle met, it was hell on earth. Mama Dog was a coyote mix (or so our vet assumed) Dixie Belle is a St. Bernard. They would start fighting, and my husband and I would run out there and break them up. We knew that Belle could really hurt Mama, because Mama was already well up in age. But the fighting never stopped. One night the two of them got into so bad that there was no way we could break it up without getting hurt ourselves. So we had to stand there and let them fight. Mama Dog lost a big chuck of her ear. But after that fight, they were the best of friends.

No, I'm not saying just let them fight. That always does not lead to happy endings. I would see about getting Tuffy fixed. Our vet recommened it to us with the Belle and Mama case. Belle was not fixed and Mama was. Usually it was Mama that started the fights. The vet office felt that getting Belle fixed might would help, but they ended up handling the problem on their own before we could decide anything.

I really hope that ya'll can find a way to keep both dogs. I never could have chosen between mine. Good luck!
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

Originally posted by kingrattus
    I know this may sound harsh, but why not try an invisable fence? Do not buy the ones inb the store, the wire is too thin & will break with 1-3 yrs. The private invisible fence r good ones, the wire is much thicker & lasts much much longer. Also get Brock the heavey duty one.

The fence may act as a correction aswell. Everytime Brock wants to dig or attact the other dog, he will be warned & then zapped.

It just might work.
    Doesn't sound harsh at all. We have done that, Our whole place is surrounded by electric fencing as well as the other fence. We live out in the country and we felt we had to do that so no wild animals gets into our yard. Had to make sure my ducks and chickens were safe.

Problem is Brock doesn't care. It did work for awhile but I guess Brock just got use to it. He just goes through it shock and all. There are stronger ones, but that just seem too cruel. Good idea though, if I didn't have a hard headed Dane.

BTW: This is Brock....you can see he's just a big baby.

And here's Tuffy

Beautiful dogs! Is Tuffy boxer? Just curious...what part of California are you in?

Yes Tuffy a Boxer, we are Boxer people when it comes right down to it. We have 3 Boxers right now, you can kind of see them on my sig, not the best pictures.

Wrong sunshine state....I live in Florida. ...Forgot there was 2. LOL

I don't belive it as i'm tying this, my husband come in and tell me Brock free again, he dug a new hole out. Doesn't he know I'm trying to save him....he could at least help some.

Try burying chicken wire. They can't dig through that nor do they like how it feels on their paws. My dad has a boxer. His name is Sloppy Joe cause he drools so much. He got him from the pound, and he is one of the greatest dogs I have ever met.

This guy out in PEI, bought the strongest shock collar for his B/C cause she was so darn hard headed. He said before he put it on the dog, he wore it to see how powerful it was. He said it gives a nice zap, so he put it on his B/C & she tried once to get through, & never again did she try it. One zap was enough for her.

The guy said he uses it, because he has a big yard & a very active dog (who can climb fences), & doesn't want to tie her up. He said it works great with her.

Maybe u can just try it? Remember it take alot to hurt a big dog, ok most big dogs.

u can ask a pet store to see if it'll work & if not return it. might be worth a shot, since hes still diggig holes & getting out.

OHHHH!!! I just remembered, A lady 1/2 burried cinder blocks & tree trunks(big ones), all around her fence, so her hound would stop digging holes. She said it worked. It was on tv.

Tonya, Chicken wire sounds like a good idea. maybe between that and the second fence it could work.
    Sloppy Joe, I love that name and it suits a Boxer with all their drool. You should try being around here....3 drooling Boxers. After you get done playing with these guys, it's time to hit the shower.

kingrattus, we where just talking about a shocker collar, to help. It can't hurt to try. Mybe we can borrow one, I can't see really needing it forever, just long enough to see if it works.

Thanks for the ideas

Poor Brock is in the pen right now for the first time ever, he's not a happy boy. It killes me to hear him out there. For tonight he has to stay there till we fix the hole he dug. I got the pen for my rescues when they first come here to adust. I never thought my Brock would have to be in it. I got 8 dogs and Brock and Tuffy are the only 2 that where not a rescue, they where ours, and they are the 2 dogs we are having problems with. What I can take care of others.....but not my own!

Oh well tomorow is another day...maybe it will be better, fingers crossed.

Oh Dear Foxgal!!!
    I am in Agony just reading this thread!!!!!!
    I support all your efforts...I hope you can find some resolve here...
    Everyone has sent all the suggestions that I would have...
    I hope that Brock and Tuffy are alright.....They are both So Beautiful.....

Good Luck

P.S.
    We ran chicken wire and wrapped it around metal conduit rods.. on the bottom to weight it down,to anchor it.....
    that helped with our 3 digging
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

i'm sorry to hear of your situation, sounds like the boys have a periodic go at it to establish or re-establish who is the alpha dog of the house. Male dogs may be best friends one day and fighting the next but it is extremely rare that one will kill the other. Generally they only want the other dog to submit to them and will stop when that happens. i agree the wounds can look horrible and it looks like they were trying to kill each other but that's probably not the case.
    bigthunder

Foxgal, sounds as if you and your hubby are doing everything possible to keep Brock. I hope you do find something that works. Don't give up & Good Luck!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets