Welcome, Shotzi! You're going to love it here. The people are awesome.

I get upset whenever I go to most shelters, too. I get so shaken up that I'm in a bad mood for the entire rest of the day. My heart just pounds and pounds. Before I go to the shelter, I get so nervous I almost get sick! But it's worth it to get a perfect canine companion.

The shelter in Iron River, MI is awesome. I work in I.R. and when I wanted to get a dog last time I couldn't find one at our local shelter, so I went there. It's an old schoolhouse way out in the woods. They bring the dogs outside all day on nice days - when I got there they were located all over the grounds - some were chained to doghouses temporarily, and some were in outdoor kennels. The kennel had no foul odor, and the dogs were all so happy. Their kitties weren't in cages, either. They had little hammocks hung up in the windows, and the kitties were sleeping up there and all over on pillows when I got there. It was wonderful! Just thought I'd share - not like anybody on Pet Talk lives close enough to me that they can go there.